Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Bad Hat Brothers monkey boots. They fit great and I love the sleek last combined with the chonky vibram sole. I also think the contrast stitching with the natural heal and edge pops. I’m very happy with them.
28DBBCCC-9EF5-461A-9ECA-7D62899359E7.jpeg
4382AE31-BFB4-4B02-89C4-79DE381DE45F.jpeg
F28F578C-AFEA-44FF-A2F9-ADAA7E61F401.jpeg
D701655D-A817-4BC4-9BBB-CDE601B43C0C.jpeg

dannyk

One Too Many
@Jin431 weve recently discovered were about the same jacket size of ever you want a sale/trade. Any chance we’re the same shoe size? Depending on last and construction I range 7.5 in huge lasts like Iron Rangers to 8-8.5 in most other boots. I mean I’m just saying wink wink nudge nudge haha

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Bad Hat Brothers monkey boots. They fit great and I love the sleek last combined with the chonky vibram sole. I also think the contrast stitching with the natural heal and edge pops. I’m very happy with them.
View attachment 312734 View attachment 312735 View attachment 312736 View attachment 312737

Love the contrast stitching done here! Can't wait to see how the toe box on this pair shape up when fully worn in. Great pick up here!

Are these stormwelted as well? Really cool setup.

Yes, I requested a Norwegian stormwelt construction for this one. They also add a cushion on the arch too which is a great touch especially for me since I'm flat footed. Thank you.

Nice! I'm considering a pair of Bedrock derbies in this MatchaCore leather.

If they only offered half sizes then that would make it even better.
Can't go wrong with the matchacore, it's a nice leather especially in different lighting you can see shades of black/green.

You are out of control! Crushing it left and right!

I know, it's been costly but its okay. I am closely crossing off boxes and I'm getting close to the end of the list.

@Jin431 weve recently discovered were about the same jacket size of ever you want a sale/trade. Any chance we’re the same shoe size? Depending on last and construction I range 7.5 in huge lasts like Iron Rangers to 8-8.5 in most other boots. I mean I’m just saying wink wink nudge nudge haha

Yes sir, same range with boots as well. 7.5-8.5 depending on the last used by the maker lol I've been lucky getting close to my preferred sizing and the only pair I ordered one size too big is this toscanello service boots from benzein in size 41 (US 8) but this feels like a whole size up. If you end up ordering from one of the Indonesian makers hit me up for reference

IMG_1167.jpg

dannyk

One Too Many
Love the contrast stitching done here! Can't wait to see how the toe box on this pair shape up when fully worn in. Great pick up here!

Yes, I requested a Norwegian stormwelt construction for this one. They also add a cushion on the arch too which is a great touch especially for me since I'm flat footed. Thank you.

If they only offered half sizes then that would make it even better.
Can't go wrong with the matchacore, it's a nice leather especially in different lighting you can see shades of black/green.

I know, it's been costly but its okay. I am closely crossing off boxes and I'm getting close to the end of the list.

Yes sir, same range with boots as well. 7.5-8.5 depending on the last used by the maker lol I've been lucky getting close to my preferred sizing and the only pair I ordered one size too big is this toscanello service boots from benzein in size 41 (US 8) but this feels like a whole size up. If you end up ordering from one of the Indonesian makers hit me up for reference

View attachment 313004
Thanks brother. Definitely considering Benzein Chelsea in shinki (teacore) was it you that had that pair? Well, same as jackets if you ever want to sell/trade I’m calling first dibs! Ha

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thanks brother. Definitely considering Benzein Chelsea in shinki (teacore) was it you that had that pair? Well, same as jackets if you ever want to sell/trade I’m calling first dibs! Ha

I do have the shinki teacore as well. I'm not in love with the leather yet (maybe because it's still so new and has no brown peaking through) but the boots look great. I think for a new out of the box pair, the nero badalassi and Maryam horse butt look better as black options.
IMG_0978.jpg

I don't think you fancy the jackets I'm moving on right now but when I move on the others I'll keep you posted.

dannyk

One Too Many
I do have the shinki teacore as well. I'm not in love with the leather yet (maybe because it's still so new and has no brown peaking through) but the boots look great. I think for a new out of the box pair, the nero badalassi and Maryam horse butt look better as black options.
View attachment 313020

I don't think you fancy the jackets I'm moving on right now but when I move on the others I'll keep you posted.
Maybe I am? Haha. Got ya. That’s disappointing about them. I mean they look great for the price and I currently own no shinki so I thought maybe these would be a great entry. I’ll reconsider which leather now. Thanks.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I am? Haha. Got ya. That’s disappointing about them. I mean they look great for the price and I currently own no shinki so I thought maybe these would be a great entry. I’ll reconsider which leather now. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong the black shinki teacore is a very good looking leather, it's just my preference is on the black horse butt. It feels hefty but is soft against the foot plus the leather rolls instead of creasing.

IMG_0851.jpg

You know about the aero x Levi's ruff n ready, the other one I'll move on is a JL seal chrome tanned goatskin I use for hiking. Ive been using the tobacco waxed canvas more for outdoor activities.

IMG_1759.PNG

Mich486

One Too Many
I’m completely out of the loop regarding Indonesian boot makers and everyday it seems like I read about a new one.

Is anybody up to make a list of makers with some pro and cons for each?

dannyk

One Too Many
I’m completely out of the loop regarding Indonesian boot makers and everyday it seems like I read about a new one.

I second this. I know some of them. But I’m old and not on Instagram and apparently that’s the way to order these days. My fiancé is on and I could hijack hers for the day but having some good background info before jumping in; would be super appreciated!

Ayeteael

A-List Customer

If you have the time, listen to the "Indonesian Bootmakers Bonanza" episode of the Stitchdow pod. It's an excellent introduction to many of the most well-known makers
https://www.stitchdown.com/stitchdown-shoecast/all-podcast-episodes/

I have mixed feelings about Stridewise, but he created a handy list:
https://stridewise.com/best-indonesian-boots/

From my research and experience, Onderhoud seems to be the current darling of the bunch, but its near impossible to get an order in. After him (in no particular order):
Benzein
Sagara
Renav
Winson
Santalum
Junkard

I have Benzeins and Renav, with Onderhouds on the way. I like my Renavs over my Benzeins, but the boots are different so it's not a true comparison. I suggest you check each maker's instagram, and go with the brand that makes a boot that speaks to you. Each brand has a signature boot (Benzein does Chelseas; Onderhoud has its LVC01 monkey boot, etc.). Happy hunting.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Winson seems like the best along with Onderhoud. I'm giving Sagara another try so we'll see how that goes.

Winson actually started a new brand for casual boots called Midas Bootmaker. That would be the one to look at instead of the Winson page, which has gone back to being solely dedicated to dress stuff.

@Ayeteael why would you have mixed feelings on Stridewise, but not stitchdown? They both do sponsored content. If anything, Stitchdown does even more of it.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I am new to the leather boot game so I only have experience wearing redwings and Truman boots.

I have 2 monkey boots/2 Chelsea Boot/1 service boot right now with 1 engineer boot and 1 dress service boot on the way. The process is the same for all of them so you would reach out to them on instagram about the specific model, give measurement of your feet, pick whatever leather, spec your order from thread/midsole/last consteuction/outsole. Sizing as with all makers depend on the last to be used, they don't offer half sizes so those in between sizes have a choice to make if to size up or down. The leather they offer can be locally tanned or imported from Japanese/Italian/American/British tanneries. Construction is comparable between each of all the makers, though some have better details than others. They pride themselves as keeping to the old techniques of hand lasting (Goodyear welt/stitchdown/Norwegian storm welt to name a few) boots so if you are into that stuff. Production time is similar about 3-4 months and seems to be on time. Delivery with DHL has been good, no problems whatsoever. Pricing is similar $400 average for all the boots i ordered in imported leather, should be less if it's a locally sourced leather. Payment is a 50% down then 50% on completion so it's easier to swallow.

If you want a nice engineer (According to @dudewuttheheck Onderhoud makes the best engineer out of makers from Indonesia but still not there if you compare it to other boot makers) or monkey boot. Onderhoud is a great option but he has a really small team so it's hard to get a slot. I still won't receive mine until May so I won't know how it feels but this company seems to have a good reputation. He mentions he forms the midsole to the boot by soaking the leather before putting them together so it prevent stretching the foot bed or something.

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Benzein seems to specialize in Chelsea boots, they make a really nice dressy service boot in the TDD-01s and jodhpurs. All my 3 benzeins have a cushion support to the heel part which is a nice touch. I believe they offer the best selection of leathers but Im sure other makers can source them too. I have a black teacore shinki and cigar horse rump Chelsea from them and they look great. They are half a size too big but if I wear a really thick sock then it's fine.

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

I also have a Benzein service boot in toscanello horse rump (lovely leather). The last they use did not agree with me. It is 1 size too big so I have to wear double socks or use an insole.
IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

I think Sagara is one of the more refined bootmaker from there. They make great monkey boots/boondockers/service boots. They use a heel and arch support so it's a little easier to wear with that extra cushioning to the footbed. They also use different kinds of desirable leather shinki/badalassi etc. I went for a olive black overdye badalassi monkey boots and it's a fun leather to wear, also the boot is easy to wear. The construction with Norwegian storm welt is also interesting, I'm now a fan of the lasting technique.

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

Junkard company seems to specialize in shell cordovan shoes/boots, the service boots they make look sleek and also have 3 different type of cool looking monkey boots. I only have a leather insole for my boot so I wished they would use some extra cushioning there for comfort. I have a monkey boot made out of tobacco badalassi which is built like a tank using vibram 700 soles. The stitchdown isn't the neatest but it looks okay to me. It would have looked better with a soft toebox but it still looks good to me.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

I haven't worn or owned the boots long enough so I can't say how they would hold with abuse (I have been wearing these boots for hikes and they seem okay for now) but I do know the companies are comparable in terms of price/construction/boot design that I can loosely summarize my experience with

Pros: great leather selection, affordable price, you can spec your boot however you like it, hand built hand lasted boots

Cons: it would be costly to return items, you won't be sure how the fitment will be until you finally have the boot

We have other members here who ordered from Indonesian makers as well so I hope to hear what they think as I can't really go into details since I don't know much about them aside from looking good or not lol

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Winson seems like the best along with Onderhoud. I'm giving Sagara another try so we'll see how that goes.

Winson actually started a new brand for casual boots called Midas Bootmaker. That would be the one to look at instead of the Winson page, which has gone back to being solely dedicated to dress stuff.

@Ayeteael why would you have mixed feelings on Stridewise, but not stitchdown? They both do sponsored content. If anything, Stitchdown does even more of it.

IMO Stitchdown is open with their brand affiliations and they don't do editorials like "5 Best Boots to Buy" where they hawk a particular brand that they have affiliation with. When i read Stitchdown, i don't get the sense they're trying to sell me 1 particular product. My impression is they (Ben) loves boots and wants to introduce great boots to a larger audience. I understand SD has brand affiliations, but there's greater transparency.

Stridewise is more clicky-baity to me (esp his youtube videos). Plus I question anyone who recommends the Thursday Captain Boot as the "Best Boot to Buy." Stridewise makes a valuable contribution to the boot-culture, but I'm more skeptical of his content.

dannyk

One Too Many
I am new to the leather boot game so I only have experience wearing redwings and Truman boots.

I have 2 monkey boots/2 Chelsea Boot/1 service boot right now with 1 engineer boot and 1 dress service boot on the way. The process is the same for all of them so you would reach out to them on instagram about the specific model, give measurement of your feet, pick whatever leather, spec your order from thread/midsole/last consteuction/outsole. Sizing as with all makers depend on the last to be used, they don't offer half sizes so those in between sizes have a choice to make if to size up or down. The leather they offer can be locally tanned or imported from Japanese/Italian/American/British tanneries. Construction is comparable between each of all the makers, though some have better details than others. They pride themselves as keeping to the old techniques of hand lasting (Goodyear welt/stitchdown/Norwegian storm welt to name a few) boots so if you are into that stuff. Production time is similar about 3-4 months and seems to be on time. Delivery with DHL has been good, no problems whatsoever. Pricing is similar $400 average for all the boots i ordered in imported leather, should be less if it's a locally sourced leather. Payment is a 50% down then 50% on completion so it's easier to swallow.

If you want a nice engineer (According to @dudewuttheheck Onderhoud makes the best engineer out of makers from Indonesia but still not there if you compare it to other boot makers) or monkey boot. Onderhoud is a great option but he has a really small team so it's hard to get a slot. I still won't receive mine until May so I won't know how it feels but this company seems to have a good reputation. He mentions he forms the midsole to the boot by soaking the leather before putting them together so it prevent stretching the foot bed or something.

View attachment 313042

View attachment 313043

Benzein seems to specialize in Chelsea boots, they make a really nice dressy service boot in the TDD-01s and jodhpurs. All my 3 benzeins have a cushion support to the heel part which is a nice touch. I believe they offer the best selection of leathers but Im sure other makers can source them too. I have a black teacore shinki and cigar horse rump Chelsea from them and they look great. They are half a size too big but if I wear a really thick sock then it's fine.

View attachment 313040

View attachment 313041

I also have a Benzein service boot in toscanello horse rump (lovely leather). The last they use did not agree with me. It is 1 size too big so I have to wear double socks or use an insole.
View attachment 313044

View attachment 313045

I think Sagara is one of the more refined bootmaker from there. They make great monkey boots/boondockers/service boots. They use a heel and arch support so it's a little easier to wear with that extra cushioning to the footbed. They also use different kinds of desirable leather shinki/badalassi etc. I went for a olive black overdye badalassi monkey boots and it's a fun leather to wear, also the boot is easy to wear. The construction with Norwegian storm welt is also interesting, I'm now a fan of the lasting technique.

View attachment 313051

View attachment 313054

Junkard company seems to specialize in shell cordovan shoes/boots, the service boots they make look sleek and also have 3 different type of cool looking monkey boots. I only have a leather insole for my boot so I wished they would use some extra cushioning there for comfort. I have a monkey boot made out of tobacco badalassi which is built like a tank using vibram 700 soles. The stitchdown isn't the neatest but it looks okay to me. It would have looked better with a soft toebox but it still looks good to me.

View attachment 313056

View attachment 313057

I haven't worn or owned the boots long enough so I can't say how they would hold with abuse (I have been wearing these boots for hikes and they seem okay for now) but I do know the companies are comparable in terms of price/construction/boot design that I can loosely summarize my experience with

Pros: great leather selection, affordable price, you can spec your boot however you like it, hand built hand lasted boots

Cons: it would be costly to return items, you won't be sure how the fitment will be until you finally have the boot

We have other members here who ordered from Indonesian makers as well so I hope to hear what they think as I can't really go into details since I don't know much about them aside from looking good or not lol
Thank you for all of that. Really, really appreciate it. I just need to finally suck it up and get an Instagram account. My fiancé yells at me all the time to get one. If I finally do, what better reason than because I need more boots?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
IMO Stitchdown is open with their brand affiliations and they don't do editorials like "5 Best Boots to Buy" where they hawk a particular brand that they have affiliation with. When i read Stitchdown, i don't get the sense they're trying to sell me 1 particular product. My impression is they (Ben) loves boots and wants to introduce great boots to a larger audience. I understand SD has brand affiliations, but there's greater transparency.

Stridewise is more clicky-baity to me (esp his youtube videos). Plus I question anyone who recommends the Thursday Captain Boot as the "Best Boot to Buy." Stridewise makes a valuable contribution to the boot-culture, but I'm more skeptical of his content.
I can see that, but also keep in mind that Stitchdown just released a review on Grant Stone boots... Stitchdown premium provides discounts for that brand AND Grant Stone literally sponsors the Stitchdown podcast. So while it may not feel like they are trying to sell you on anything, they are. It's just sneakier which if anything, is worse. This is also not the only example of this.

I've talked to both guys. I've written for Stridewise and I've been on the Stitchdown podcast. I have mixed feelings on both. I think both are nice dudes and both are good writers, but I don't agree with how they do their content.

I personally feel incredibly strongly about staying completely independent, so I disagree with what a lot of things both of them do. They both can provide solid content, but there is no question that sponsorship and money absolutely does play a role for both of them.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for all of that. Really, really appreciate it. I just need to finally suck it up and get an Instagram account. My fiancé yells at me all the time to get one. If I finally do, what better reason than because I need more boots?

No problem at all. Instagram is great for watching dogs/boots/leather jackets/babes in no particular order. So much temptations lol

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I can see that, but also keep in mind that Stitchdown just released a review on Grant Stone boots... Stitchdown premium provides discounts for that brand AND Grant Stone literally sponsors the Stitchdown podcast. So while it may not feel like they are trying to sell you on anything, they are. It's just sneakier which if anything, is worse.

No question Stitchdown takes money from Grant Stone and other sponsors, but they disclose it. They disclose the sponsor of each podcast. Also, there's nothing wrong with sponsored content - businesses gotta make money! I also just like Stitchdown's content better than Stridewise's, and it helps that Stitchdown appears to be a little more transparent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails