Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That’s awesome you were able to get selected and it will be here before you know it! Although that is the one thing I dislike about Onderhoud is semi-lottery system he has in place. I don’t mind waitlist but I refuse to play for a chance to buy a pair of boots. Of course he decides what’s best for his business but I’d rather wait and get a pair of another Benzeins.
The Maryam horsebutt is awesome and seems to be a MTO staple nowadays. I just a one pair of black shoes and I think for a pair of boots I would also opt for the black horsebutt. The pair that you have now, do you know if it’s dyed all the through or if it’s teacore black?

So true, that's why I have so many Benzein boots haha they are so much more accessible and great with replying to inquiries. I do believe that rizky's engineer design looks the best out of the makers in Indonesia.

I believe it's dyed through, my Truman boots don't have a lot of scuff yet but I don't see any brown on the scratch marks that have already been made. The Maryam black horse butt Truman is comfy to wear and it's thick even without a lining, it's my favorite walking boot. I'm hoping that stays the same when I receive the FP and onderhouds

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Nice. I have black maryam boots from Rizky as well. It's pretty nice leather, though the Maryam on my Flame Panda boots is nicer. I'm not sure if it's just luck, but I know that Flame Panda is better at clicking.

powerserge

One of the Regulars
So true, that's why I have so many Benzein boots haha they are so much more accessible and great with replying to inquiries. I do believe that rizky's engineer design looks the best out of the makers in Indonesia.

I believe it's dyed through, my Truman boots don't have a lot of scuff yet but I don't see any brown on the scratch marks that have already been made. The Maryam black horse butt Truman is comfy to wear and it's thick even without a lining, it's my favorite walking boot. I'm hoping that stays the same when I receive the FP and onderhouds
I enjoyed my experience with them and would definitely work with them again. The Benzein engineer is pretty good but not as refined as Rizky’s. I do also like the engineer from Prof. Barnets, it’s on the bulkier side but still look good!
Good to know! You should make a post when you have all 3 to compare and see if there are any differences between them.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed my experience with them and would definitely work with them again. The Benzein engineer is pretty good but not as refined as Rizky’s. I do also like the engineer from Prof. Barnets, it’s on the bulkier side but still look good!
Good to know! You should make a post when you have all 3 to compare and see if there are any differences between them.
Hard disagree. Rizky's needs a lot of refinement too and Benzein's is WAAAAAY off.

They really aren't even close to the level of Lofgren, Mister Freedom Attractions, much less Clinch. Even Wesco's MP toe is vastly superior in design to both, especially the Benzeins.

I know this isn't a nice way to say it, but these designs are not there yet. As a big time engineer fan, I think they need a lot of work. They clearly are slimmer dressier shoe lasts that were adapted for engineers. They have too high of insteps, the straps are both off, and they don't have the right spring in the toes.

Rizky's engineers are OK, but they look like they are leaning forward in a weird way at all times. I've even talked to him and other Indonesian makers about things like this and given feedback on it.

powerserge

One of the Regulars
Hard disagree. Rizky's needs a lot of refinement too and Benzein's is WAAAAAY off.

They really aren't even close to the level of Lofgren, Mister Freedom Attractions, much less Clinch. Even Wesco's MP toe is vastly superior in design to both, especially the Benzeins.

I know this isn't a nice way to say it, but these designs are not there yet.
I mean if we’re just comparing Indonesian makers only, I think the Onderhoud is far and away the best looking. He’s only recently introduced it so as time goes on it will improve. I personally would not get the Benzein engineer and you’re right they just don’t look completely right. Of course if we start comparing them to the rest of the world then they aren’t as good...though they are significantly cheaper

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I mean if we’re just comparing Indonesian makers only, I think the Onderhoud is far and away the best looking. He’s only recently introduced it so as time goes on it will improve. I personally would not get the Benzein engineer and you’re right they just don’t look completely right. Of course if we start comparing them to the rest of the world then they aren’t as good...though they are significantly cheaper
Oh yeah in that case I absolutely agree with you. His is by far the best from Indonesia and it's not even close. Also, keep in mind that I am highly critical because I hold Rizky to a high standard. I think his lace to toe loggers are a nice design and he makes them very well. I really love my pair.
4ZfYmfy.jpg

powerserge

One of the Regulars
Oh yeah in that case I absolutely agree with you. His is by far the best from Indonesia and it's not even close. Also, keep in mind that I am highly critical because I hold Rizky to a high standard. I think his lace to toe loggers are a nice design and he makes them very well. I really love my pair.
4ZfYmfy.jpg
He’s doing absolutely great work and I hope in the future he becomes more accessible. It looks like he’s begun to hire extra people so let’s hope that free’s up some space. Now do you have another pair coming from him or do you plan on getting a second pair?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
He’s doing absolutely great work and I hope in the future he becomes more accessible. It looks like he’s begun to hire extra people so let’s hope that free’s up some space. Now do you have another pair coming from him or do you plan on getting a second pair?
I do plan on getting another pair from him probably later this year. He told me to wait... I'm assuming that means he wants to make some improvements in some way before I get/review my next pair. I'll trust him because he clearly knows how to make boots.

Yeah I don't love the lottery system. I think he would be better off raising prices instead. He could easily charge more.

Edward

Bartender
Clinch's Narrow poc-toe combining classic narrow and work round.
Red Wing x Eat Dust Pecos
View attachment 309660 View attachment 309661

Interesting shape - gives it more of a Western feel. I believe Wesco do a similar toe shape option, at least it looksl ike it on the custom spec page. Nice option for a touch of Western feel without fully committing to the cowboy look.

Does intake have to be Vaseline? Can you use any kind of moisturizer?

I think the point of the vaseline is it doesn't sink into your skin the way a cream moisturiser would, instead it stays as a layer on the surface which is what stops the rubbing on the foot. I suppose any similar petroleum jelly would do the same job.

Got notified my bad hat brothers boots are shipping from Korea. Hope they fit!
View attachment 310798

Very nice indeed. I've really gotten into the look of lace to toe boots recently. I have about eighty pairs of shoes I've built up in the last decade and now I've found what I like, I really need to clear most of them out. More of this sort of thing is definitely on the cards, though.

Yes, if I get a brown engineer might as well go with wesco build your own boot. I'll use the quick striker as reference for ordering

I need to clear out a lot before I get anything new, but I do have my eye on Wescos. I recently put a few mock orders together, and that build your own is a lot of fun - doesn't come out, at least in anything I wanted, much more than the price of a regular boot either. Fingers crossed the value of the pound recovers one day...

Dainite Town Boots to go with the pony...

full

As in Aero town boots? Very nice. I have a pair in brown that are great when I want a sort of dress-down office look; my engineers are typically only worn with denim.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Nice. I have black maryam boots from Rizky as well. It's pretty nice leather, though the Maryam on my Flame Panda boots is nicer. I'm not sure if it's just luck, but I know that Flame Panda is better at clicking.

Yes! That's the boot I've seen you with and I think stitchdown guy has it to so I'm guessing it must be a good one. Got it! So cool to know you also have the Maryam black horse butt in different boots, now I don't feel alone! Hopefully rizky took your review of his engineer boots to heart and make me a better pair of boots! Cheers to you @dudewuttheheck

I've seen the engineer boots of benzeins and prof barnets around but I'm not sure what details/construction I need to look out for but the onderhouds look the sleekest to me so I went with that. If I had not ordered the FP monkey boots I would have gotten the onderhoud monkey boots instead.
Sure I'll make a post about the Maryam black horse butt. As soon as I've worn my Trumans I knew that that leather is something I would want in another type (or two) of boot.

@Edward noted on the Vaseline trick. Hmm maybe it's not so bad as it sounds but I'm feeling it might be a little unusual to walk with all that goo in your sock. I'll try it out sometime.

No kidding 80+ pairs is seriously a lot of shoes. The build your own option is quite dangerous like some members have detailed. The thing with made to order boots is I think you cannot return it so you better be sure about everything. I hear you about the currency and I hope it recovers as well.

Edward

Bartender
@Edward noted on the Vaseline trick. Hmm maybe it's not so bad as it sounds but I'm feeling it might be a little unusual to walk with all that goo in your sock. I'll try it out sometime.

No kidding 80+ pairs is seriously a lot of shoes. The build your own option is quite dangerous like some members have detailed. The thing with made to order boots is I think you cannot return it so you better be sure about everything. I hear you about the currency and I hope it recovers as well.

Yeah, I went a bit crazy on eBay a few years ago; a mix of trying different things and having a bit of a hoarding problem. It's apparently a common symptom associated with clinical depression, but not an easy one to spot when you're doing it, especially as I was single and living alone when the bulk of it happened. Moving on now, the wife is very good as encouraging me to 'buy less, buy better'. We're absolute reversals of the classic gender stereotypes when it comes to shoes, but I have been making a big effort to cut back. I've got a nice pair of RedWings and a coupel of pairs of Chippewas for engineer bootsfor now, so that'll hold me until I can try some Wescos. The hope is that when we're able to finally have our honeymoon in a couple of years' time (we got married on the quiet during lockdown, but obviously not been able to get away), we're headed for the US (Memphis / Gracelands specifically!) and I'll be able to get a chance to try on some Wescos in a store somewhere and get an idea of the fit. The big thing I have learned about engineer boots over the years is that they are much more susceptible to finding the 'right' pattern for the individual than any other pull on boot. Then I can think about the BYO. I have a notion of a black-black, stay-black pair with the MP toe, undyed leathersole, and red stitching on the body...

Edward

Bartender
@Edward Yes, these are Aero Town boots. Got a second pair with leather soles for dryer days.

Dainite is definitely a plus in the wet. With all my leather soles, soon as I've worn them once or twice, I get a rubber layer glued on over the top, makes a big difference keeping the wet out too.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yes! That's the boot I've seen you with and I think stitchdown guy has it to so I'm guessing it must be a good one. Got it! So cool to know you also have the Maryam black horse butt in different boots, now I don't feel alone! Hopefully rizky took your review of his engineer boots to heart and make me a better pair of boots! Cheers to you @dudewuttheheck

I've seen the engineer boots of benzeins and prof barnets around but I'm not sure what details/construction I need to look out for but the onderhouds look the sleekest to me so I went with that. If I had not ordered the FP monkey boots I would have gotten the onderhoud monkey boots instead.
Sure I'll make a post about the Maryam black horse butt. As soon as I've worn my Trumans I knew that that leather is something I would want in another type (or two) of boot.

You did it right. Flame Panda's monkey boots are better designed than Onderhoud's. I think Sagara has a really nice monkey boot as well, though it's very different than Flame Panda's.

I need to do a full post of all my boots some time soon now I think about it. I also have the Flame Panda monkey boots.

dannyk

One Too Many
565B3CB4-0318-4305-81CB-78D3C140E12E.jpeg
37804C40-600A-47CA-A627-6765570D6BA9.jpeg
3DEFA16C-C303-4EB4-AB88-4E940D7624AD.jpeg
23BE756B-A80E-49F6-A58A-9D2FA71764A9.jpeg
I’ve wanted a very accurate version of Type 3 Service Boots that weren’t just accurate but could also be daily wearers; or able to take at least a bit of a beating. While also not being over the 300 dollar range; because like WW2 soldiers I plan on dubbing them. Wouldn’t want to spend too much than that and then regret dubbing them or ruining super nice leather. All those criteria lead me to ATF. I feel these are just about right for the price. These are 299. If they were more I could complain about some of the finishing details. If they were less I would be really pleasantly surprised. But these seem to be exactly the right price for what they are. These are obviously right out the box. I will follow up with some pictures after they get dubbed in some Huberds Shoe Grease.
88B66F50-27F1-40EE-91B1-8BFAE084CD4D.jpeg

View attachment 311743 View attachment 311744 View attachment 311745 View attachment 311746 I’ve wanted a very accurate version of Type 3 Service Boots that weren’t just accurate but could also be daily wearers; or able to take at least a bit of a beating. While also not being over the 300 dollar range; because like WW2 soldiers I plan on dubbing them. Wouldn’t want to spend too much than that and then regret dubbing them or ruining super nice leather. All those criteria lead me to ATF. I feel these are just about right for the price. These are 299. If they were more I could complain about some of the finishing details. If they were less I would be really pleasantly surprised. But these seem to be exactly the right price for what they are. These are obviously right out the box. I will follow up with some pictures after they get dubbed in some Huberds Shoe Grease. View attachment 311747

These are really cool, Dan!

dannyk

One Too Many
These are really cool, Dan!
Only tried them on for a minute and gave them a good once over so far. So I’m sure in the next few weeks I’ll have a much firmer analysis of them. Especially after I grease them and start kicking around town in them. I am really pleased with their overall look though. They are a fairly to very fair accurate version. Most people are more familiar with their Marine counterpart the N1 Boondocker boot. They have a slightly narrowed toe box and the corded soles. These were the army version. If I end up loving them maybe I would get those as well. Most service boots that claim to be army or marine service boots/boondockers are simply inspired by them and not as accurate. Or use way more expensive leather that I wouldn’t want to cover with dubbing. These actually would surprisingly actually look good without dubbing-but definitely need to dub them. Can tell they are not super waterproof. Probably dub them sometime in the next week and post photos then.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I went a bit crazy on eBay a few years ago; a mix of trying different things and having a bit of a hoarding problem. It's apparently a common symptom associated with clinical depression, but not an easy one to spot when you're doing it, especially as I was single and living alone when the bulk of it happened. Moving on now, the wife is very good as encouraging me to 'buy less, buy better'. We're absolute reversals of the classic gender stereotypes when it comes to shoes, but I have been making a big effort to cut back. I've got a nice pair of RedWings and a coupel of pairs of Chippewas for engineer bootsfor now, so that'll hold me until I can try some Wescos. The hope is that when we're able to finally have our honeymoon in a couple of years' time (we got married on the quiet during lockdown, but obviously not been able to get away), we're headed for the US (Memphis / Gracelands specifically!) and I'll be able to get a chance to try on some Wescos in a store somewhere and get an idea of the fit. The big thing I have learned about engineer boots over the years is that they are much more susceptible to finding the 'right' pattern for the individual than any other pull on boot. Then I can think about the BYO. I have a notion of a black-black, stay-black pair with the MP toe, undyed leathersole, and red stitching on the body...

Don't we all get a little bit crazy sometimes, I know I was. I think I had the same problem with impulse buying a few years back (well I still am but this time my purchases are calculated and I have a goal in mind) and I think it was also related to similar circumstances. Congratulations, I believe I read that post before. I haven't been to Memphis but I heard it's a nice city with great food/music plus it's a bonus you can try on the wescos before you dive in to the BYO! Im wanting the wesco waxed olive rough out they have at standard and strange but I'll hold out for a brown pair.

View attachment 311743 View attachment 311744 View attachment 311745 View attachment 311746 I’ve wanted a very accurate version of Type 3 Service Boots that weren’t just accurate but could also be daily wearers; or able to take at least a bit of a beating. While also not being over the 300 dollar range; because like WW2 soldiers I plan on dubbing them. Wouldn’t want to spend too much than that and then regret dubbing them or ruining super nice leather. All those criteria lead me to ATF. I feel these are just about right for the price. These are 299. If they were more I could complain about some of the finishing details. If they were less I would be really pleasantly surprised. But these seem to be exactly the right price for what they are. These are obviously right out the box. I will follow up with some pictures after they get dubbed in some Huberds Shoe Grease. View attachment 311747

Love this especially the soles look like it will take you places! Great pick up!

You did it right. Flame Panda's monkey boots are better designed than Onderhoud's. I think Sagara has a really nice monkey boot as well, though it's very different than Flame Panda's.

I need to do a full post of all my boots some time soon now I think about it. I also have the Flame Panda monkey boots.

Yes! The more robust 131 last monkey boot you have is such a beast! Would love to see the rest of the collection and read your take on them!

Thanks man! I lucked out with the onderhoud order and good thing I kept to my plan to get the Flame Panda 102 last monkey boot. I do love my Sagara cordmasters, I wished I would have picked a different outsole but it's fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider