Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Benzein Black Teacore Shinki Chelsea Boots

IMG_2062.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
OK, now we're getting into the boots that I really love. I adore these boots so the fact that they're only number 9 on my list shows just how much I like the boots above them. These are my Motor lace up boots in hand-dyed brown Japanese vegetable tanned cowhide. They are made in a local boot shop and the leather is hand dyed in the Moto shop.

Motor is still one of the most underrated boot makers out there. The quality, finishing, and beautiful hand painted leathers that they offer at their surprisingly low price point make them an absolute steal and in my opinion, one of the best value for money boots out there in my opinion. The design of these boots is wonderful, the leather is awesome, they are extremely well finished for just over $600, and the boots are not uncomfortable at all. I just don’t quite love them as much as the boots above them on this list. Still, I am extremely happy to have them in my collection and believe that more people should look into ordering boots from them.

Motor is not all that well known outside of Japan and they don't really try to have a super strong presence outside of their home country, but they sell really well in Japan and their boots, especially their special releases like their dress engineers sell out really quickly. If they bothered to actually have a stockist in the west, they would be huge because they really make a ridiculously good pair of boots for the price. The store was started by the dad and the sons seem to run the brand for the most part today. I've met the brothers and they are great dudes. Their stores are some of my favorites to visit in Japan. My brother got a pair of their cordovan derby shoes and loves those too. Also an insane bargain at around $550 or $600.

1vyUwgF.jpg

f8M2wcZ.jpg

t3xW2eM.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thing is, nobody really cares for trousers. Nobody notices them, nobody sees them. People notice jackets but more than that, people see boots. Nice pair of boots can kick your entire outfit into another level, no matter what it consists of. Cheapest jeans suddenly become cool with a right pair of boots.
old photos 585.JPG
Nobody notices trousers, that's not been my experience.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Benzein Cigar Horse Rump Chelseas. I love the look of lace up boots but slip on boots is where it's at lol

Do you guys have any clue if stains made by hand sanitizer like the one on the left will ever go away? I tried to spot clean it with a damp cloth and buff it out with a brush but not going away. Even applied a little bick 4 to it but nothing

IMG_2064.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Do you guys have any clue if stains made by hand sanitizer like the one on the left will ever go away? I tried to spot clean it with a damp cloth and buff it out with a brush but not going away. Even applied a little bick 4 to it but nothing
It probably won't go away, I looked up hand sanitisers contents, it lists some of it's ingredients as acid, you can see the list here: https://classiccleaners.net/common-personal-products-can-ruin-your-clothing/ It's quite shocking some of the everyday products that can damage clothing.

Whilst I am not an aficionado of boots I do have a pair made by SJC.
boots.jpg
The right hand boot got splashed by some household cleaner, luckily it was on the cream colour, but it was still very visible. There is, near where I live, an old style shoe repair shop, I took the boots to him, he polished the cream section on both boots with his polishing wheel. It didn't remove the stain completely but it did reduce the visibility of it quite dramatically. Given the cost of the boots I was both impressed and grateful. I don't know if that helps you but I'm sure that anyone reading the list of products that can cause such damage will be that bit more cautious.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Benzein Cigar Horse Rump Chelseas. I love the look of lace up boots but slip on boots is where it's at lol

View attachment 317556
According to the local health authority, the hand sanitizer that works against Covid should have at least 75% alcohol content. That alone could dissolve coating and dye. You may have to use shoe polish or cream to cover that.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
According to the local health authority, the hand sanitizer that works against Covid should have at least 75% alcohol content. That alone could dissolve coating and dye. You may have to use shoe polish or cream to cover that.

That's probably what happened to it, too bad but since I don't have any shoe polish right now then I'll just count this as patina lol

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
It probably won't go away, I looked up hand sanitisers contents, it lists some of it's ingredients as acid, you can see the list here: https://classiccleaners.net/common-personal-products-can-ruin-your-clothing/ It's quite shocking some of the everyday products that can damage clothing.

Whilst I am not an aficionado of boots I do have a pair made by SJC.
View attachment 317573
The right hand boot got splashed by some household cleaner, luckily it was on the cream colour, but it was still very visible. There is, near where I live, an old style shoe repair shop, I took the boots to him, he polished the cream section on both boots with his polishing wheel. It didn't remove the stain completely but it did reduce the visibility of it quite dramatically. Given the cost of the boots I was both impressed and grateful. I don't know if that helps you but I'm sure that anyone reading the list of products that can cause such damage will be that bit more cautious.

Well noted, that's unfortunate that happened to you to. Glad that it was taken to someone who was able to help you.

I'll probably just leave it alone. I'll probably make it worse if I try any more diy treatment to it lol if I ever go to a cobbler then I'll ask what they can recommend

Now we all just need to be more careful foaming up. Pretty funny how treated leather that can withstand hard wear and the elements can be outdone by sanitizers and household products

Psant25

One Too Many

View attachment 317556
Oh man that sucks. I have a hard time wearing my nice boots to work due to stuff like that. I dropped some sanitizer on my alden 403s and it faded more over time. Hope yours does too

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Oh man that sucks. I have a hard time wearing my nice boots to work due to stuff like that. I dropped some sanitizer on my alden 403s and it faded more over time. Hope yours does too

Yep but that's okay, I had a great taco and michelada that day so guess I'll always have the stain to remember the meal and the incident by hehe

I never really wore boots before so I don't have any clue about that stuff but I'm learning. Now I atleast know to keep them away from alcohol based products and cleaners

BlueAltitudes

Familiar Face
Question for you guys, what are some of your go to Chelsea boots or service style boots?

I recently started entertaining the idea of buying my first pair of Chelsea boots and I was looking at these right here.
https://standardandstrange.com/coll...for-may-2021-delivery-chelsea-boots-black-cxl
I also am looking at some other styles like this https://standardandstrange.com/prod...-chamois-2045-flat-toe?variant=29325147340877 and also chukkas to replace the ones that I recently sold https://standardandstrange.com/prod...t-burgundy-french-calf?variant=20931364257869

I am kind of new to the world of boots and I'm trying to discover more about them and what I like. I used to wear sneakers all the time when I was younger and the occasional dress shoe but now that I started wearing more boots and just other different styles of shoes like loafers I want to try more and more!

The only boots I own are some hiking boots called Hanweg Lhasa and some Allen Edmonds Normandy Service boots but I lost some of my initial excitement with them shortly after purchasing due to noisy soles. I hate noisy soles haha! The Hanweg boots are very nice and comfy for hiking though!

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes-...boots/normandy-suede-cap-toe-boot/SF8305.html

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Question for you guys, what are some of your go to Chelsea boots or service style boots?

I recently started entertaining the idea of buying my first pair of Chelsea boots and I was looking at these right here.
https://standardandstrange.com/coll...for-may-2021-delivery-chelsea-boots-black-cxl
I also am looking at some other styles like this https://standardandstrange.com/prod...-chamois-2045-flat-toe?variant=29325147340877 and also chukkas to replace the ones that I recently sold https://standardandstrange.com/prod...t-burgundy-french-calf?variant=20931364257869

I am kind of new to the world of boots and I'm trying to discover more about them and what I like. I used to wear sneakers all the time when I was younger and the occasional dress shoe but now that I started wearing more boots and just other different styles of shoes like loafers I want to try more and more!

The only boots I own are some hiking boots called Hanweg Lhasa and some Allen Edmonds Normandy Service boots but I lost some of my initial excitement with them shortly after purchasing due to noisy soles. I hate noisy soles haha! The Hanweg boots are very nice and comfy for hiking though!

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes-...boots/normandy-suede-cap-toe-boot/SF8305.html

Forgot to mention welcome to the TFL community.

I'm also new to this hobby. My favorite service boot maker is Truman, they offer a lot of horse rump which is my favorite leather plus their shoe last seems to agree with my feet. I'm sure there are better made service boots out there but Truman is a good mid entry level maker that offers interesting leather options and good build quality.

BlueAltitudes

Familiar Face
Forgot to mention welcome to the TFL community.

I'm also new to this hobby. My favorite service boot maker is Truman, they offer a lot of horse rump which is my favorite leather plus their shoe last seems to agree with my feet. I'm sure there are better made service boots out there but Truman is a good mid entry level maker that offers interesting leather options and good build quality.

Hey thanks! Glad to meet another one in the wild here on the internet like me! Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look into that brand. I'm interested in anything horse at the moment and I want to learn more about horse leather.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Hey thanks! Glad to meet another one in the wild here on the internet like me! Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look into that brand. I'm interested in anything horse at the moment and I want to learn more about horse leather.

You bet, always nice to fellow Californian around these parts too.
Horse rump/butt is cool, not as expensive as shell cordovan but they say it has part of the shell so its not too prone to creasing. You know shinki already, that tannery also produce leather for boots. Im sure there's plenty to choose from but if you pick a leather made from Horween/Maryam/Cloe/CF Stead/Badalassi/Seidel chances are they are good stock

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Question for you guys, what are some of your go to Chelsea boots or service style boots? I recently started entertaining the idea of buying my first pair of Chelsea boots and I was looking at these right here.
Now that has prompted a long forgotten reminisce. For those of us who were around in the sixties, the Chelsea boot seemed to be on the feet of just about everyone under the age of 25.

chelsea boot.png Beatles-in-Chelsea-Boots.jpg Rolling-Stones-in-Chelsea-Boots.jpg

BlueAltitudes

Familiar Face

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Welcome!

Some super subjective ideas:

For Chelsea boots, I am most impressed with R.M. Williams Craftsman Boots.
As concerns „Service“ Boots, of course RedWing is always an option (I have the „Beckmann“, Iron Ranger and Blacksmith and am very happy). Solid value for money. If you want to spend a little more, have a look at Dundas (from Norway). They make a very sturdy boot in nice leather options.

BlueAltitudes

Familiar Face
Welcome!

Some super subjective ideas:

For Chelsea boots, I am most impressed with R.M. Williams Craftsman Boots.
As concerns „Service“ Boots, of course RedWing is always an option (I have the „Beckmann“, Iron Ranger and Blacksmith and am very happy). Solid value for money. If you want to spend a little more, have a look at Dundas (from Norway). They make a very sturdy boot in nice leather options.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! Checking out R.M Williams Craftsman boots!

jfan

New in Town
OK, now we're getting into the boots that I really love. I adore these boots so the fact that they're only number 9 on my list shows just how much I like the boots above them. These are my Motor lace up boots in hand-dyed brown Japanese vegetable tanned cowhide. They are made in a local boot shop and the leather is hand dyed in the Moto shop.

Motor is still one of the most underrated boot makers out there. The quality, finishing, and beautiful hand painted leathers that they offer at their surprisingly low price point make them an absolute steal and in my opinion, one of the best value for money boots out there in my opinion. The design of these boots is wonderful, the leather is awesome, they are extremely well finished for just over $600, and the boots are not uncomfortable at all. I just don’t quite love them as much as the boots above them on this list. Still, I am extremely happy to have them in my collection and believe that more people should look into ordering boots from them.

Motor is not all that well known outside of Japan and they don't really try to have a super strong presence outside of their home country, but they sell really well in Japan and their boots, especially their special releases like their dress engineers sell out really quickly. If they bothered to actually have a stockist in the west, they would be huge because they really make a ridiculously good pair of boots for the price. The store was started by the dad and the sons seem to run the brand for the most part today. I've met the brothers and they are great dudes. Their stores are some of my favorites to visit in Japan. My brother got a pair of their cordovan derby shoes and loves those too. Also an insane bargain at around $550 or $600.

1vyUwgF.jpg

f8M2wcZ.jpg

t3xW2eM.jpg
I have a pair of these too and they're great.
I read on style forum that makers make moto and moto dyes them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner