Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Psant25

One Too Many
Been on a western boot kick for a while. Love the ease of slip on and love the clean no lace minimalist look with jeans and also my work khakis/chinos. For my next boot I am debating b/w custom wesco mister lous and custom morrisons. I Want a narrowed shaft and the standard thick black or brown oil tan leather. Probably for riding to match my cop bike and incoming langlitz columbia. Emailing with chris at wesco he is great. Wondering if I would prefer the shallow MP toe vs the pointed slightly taller western toe. I am a toe shifter. Any opinions/suggestions about leather, toe, style, height, etc? Thanks,

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Keep us posted on how this leather wears. It's gonna be killer I presume.
Will do, it will take a while but these are keepers and my best fitting pair of boots. This is my favorite black leather, I'm getting a monkey boot and an engineer made of the same hide lol

Nice jeans, too.
It's my 2nd selvage denim although it's a 36" inseam, so this is my first time folding the hem which is not bad but needs getting used to.

TG3

One of the Regulars
Will do, it will take a while but these are keepers and my best fitting pair of boots. This is my favorite black leather, I'm getting a monkey boot and an engineer made of the same hide lol

It's my 2nd selvage denim although it's a 36" inseam, so this is my first time folding the hem which is not bad but needs getting used to.
Get those bad boys hemmed haha! It obviously all depends on how you like to cuff your jeans. I'm more of a two inch cuff kinda guy myself.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Get those bad boys hemmed haha! It obviously all depends on how you like to cuff your jeans. I'm more of a two inch cuff kinda guy myself.

Do I have to wash it first? I already wore it like 4 times already lol the 21oz brave star wasn't so bad but it is definitely not comfy compared to mall denim. I think I'll go with 2-3 inch cuff with the railcar order.

Reactions: TG3

TG3

One of the Regulars
Do I have to wash it first? I already wore it like 4 times already lol the 21oz brave star wasn't so bad but it is definitely not comfy compared to mall denim. I think I'll go with 2-3 inch cuff with the railcar order.

Some denim shrinks more than others but if you buy the jeans "one wash" from the retailer you will be fine as almost all the shrink is already occurred. I buy most of my denim in a "one wash" instead or raw or unsanforized. It just takes the guess work out of sizing. I had railcar hem my jeans before they shipped them to me since they have chainstitching on-site. Just had them hem them about 2 in longer than my actual inseam.

You sure you want to jump in this denim game bro??? Next thing you know you'll have 10 pairs haha

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Some denim shrinks more than others but if you buy the jeans "one wash" from the retailer you will be fine as almost all the shrink is already occurred. I buy most of my denim in a "one wash" instead or raw or unsanforized. It just takes the guess work out of sizing. I had railcar hem my jeans before they shipped them to me since they have chainstitching on-site. Just had them hem them about 2 in longer than my actual inseam.

You sure you want to jump in this denim game bro??? Next thing you know you'll have 10 pairs haha

I also prefer the one wash, now that you mention how easy it is to live with lol
I'll follow the recommendation about having them hemmed before delivery, save a whole lot of trouble. Zip fly or button fly? What's your take on it?

I bought two pairs already lol this double black brave star and a sanforized pure blue Japan indigo denim at standard and strange they have on last call. I want the black indigo from railcar and maybe 1-2 more Japanese made denim (pure blue Japan probably).

Oh boy I'm down a different rabbit hole again hahaha

Are these 21oz black Brave Star, if so, which fit?
Cheers.
Yes, the double black 21oz in slim taper. I had to size up, my true to size fit was too uncomfortable and it would not fit over my thighs lol

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Size up?! I thought you needed to size down with Bravestar!
Now I’m not sure which size order.

I think maybe for the slimmer cut and how thick it is, my go to waist band measurement is 29-30". I should have been a size 28 based on the chart which I initially ordered. When I got it, the pants won't slide over my thighs let alone being able to zip it up lol

Maybe if you go with a regular taper or slim straight maybe you can go true to size

TG3

One of the Regulars
I also prefer the one wash, now that you mention how easy it is to live with lol
I'll follow the recommendation about having them hemmed before delivery, save a whole lot of trouble. Zip fly or button fly? What's your take on it?

I bought two pairs already lol this double black brave star and a sanforized pure blue Japan indigo denim at standard and strange they have on last call. I want the black indigo from railcar and maybe 1-2 more Japanese made denim (pure blue Japan probably).

Oh boy I'm down a different rabbit hole again hahaha

Yes, the double black 21oz in slim taper. I had to size up, my true to size fit was too uncomfortable and it would not fit over my thighs lol
Oh it's definitely an easy rabbithole to go down. And to your earlier point, the denim definitely doesn't start out very comfortable in comparison to your mall brand jeans. A large reason is the starch they put on the jeans to help with manufacturing and some denimheads even add more starch to their jeans to assist with fading. It's just like breaking in a heavy leather jacket. It gets more comfortable with wear. I've got some 15 oz Momotaro and some 18 oz Pure Blue Japan and they're super comfortable now. It all just depends on what you are trying to accomplish (sick fades or softening for more comfortable wearing).

You won't find many selvedge denim (especially Japanese brands) with zip Flys. Buttons are more Heritage appropriate and thats what most makers are going for (jeans like they used to make them). I personally don't mind the buttons. Most jeans are hard to button when you first get them. Don't worry the buttonholes will soften up and it won't be a pain in the ass every time you gotta take a leak lol.

Like I said.. you can go down a real rabbithole. Check out Okayama Denim. Great company that does a ton of collaborations.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Oh it's definitely an easy rabbithole to go down. And to your earlier point, the denim definitely doesn't start out very comfortable in comparison to your mall brand jeans. A large reason is the starch they put on the jeans to help with manufacturing and some denimheads even add more starch to their jeans to assist with fading. It's just like breaking in a heavy leather jacket. It gets more comfortable with wear. I've got some 15 oz Momotaro and some 18 oz Pure Blue Japan and they're super comfortable now. It all just depends on what you are trying to accomplish (sick fades or softening for more comfortable wearing).

You won't find many selvedge denim (especially Japanese brands) with zip Flys. Buttons are more Heritage appropriate and thats what most makers are going for (jeans like they used to make them). I personally don't mind the buttons. Most jeans are hard to button when you first get them. Don't worry the buttonholes will soften up and it won't be a pain in the ass every time you gotta take a leak lol.

Like I said.. you can go down a real rabbithole. Check out Okayama Denim. Great company that does a ton of collaborations.

Kojima Genes does heavy weight selvage with zip fly, which I think it’s a very good idea. Fairly priced too.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

It's definitely new to me and needs getting used to but I'm up for it. I've broken in 3 cxl jackets already so I'm fairly confident with this. I'm not into the bro sick fades stuff (yet. . .), I think if it's overdone then the pants look just like the distressed pants they sell anywhere. I just want a nice denim, it seems like the fabric they use are nicer on the selvage ones.

Got it, the zip fly is my preferred at this time for ease of use lol
I hate how rigid that is and how difficult it could be haha I had that experience already when the lower buttons won't snap shut so I could only do the top button

I will try to temper myself, I don't want to own too much denim plus in my eyes it kinda looks the same lol

Kojima Genes does heavy weight selvage with zip fly, which I think it’s a very good idea. Fairly priced too.
I saw the site and will look it up in earnest tomorrow. I do like the price on that brand.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, you have no idea how deep the denim rabbit hole can go. In fact, I would say it may go even deeper than the leather jacket rabbit hole possibly. There are quite a few different routes to go as well. You can go more modern/more texture oriented, heavyweight, or more repro oriented.

I personally have been sticking to repro stuff for a few years now. I hate slim cuts and I prefer more subtle denim texture, though I pretty much refuse to wear sanforized indigo fabrics. My favorite jeans are generally WWII and immediate post-WWII repros.

Edward

Bartender

That's the killer on so many for me - I really dislike jeans without a nice 2" or so cuff; 36" is great for a double roll, though I'm loving the 38" on my Wranglers that lets me do a third roll. Nice bit of body to 'em. :)

You won't find many selvedge denim (especially Japanese brands) with zip Flys. Buttons are more Heritage appropriate and thats what most makers are going for (jeans like they used to make them).

Took me a while to get used to the buttons when I fist had a pair years ago. I like 'em a lot now, though there's also something very satisfying about the quality brasszipper on my Wranglers. As memory serves, the 13MWZ's immediate predecessor (before they upped the denim from 11oz to 13oz; nowadays it varies around the 14oz mark) the 11MWZ - "men's, with zip" was the first commercially available jean with a zip fly on release in 1947, and it was a big marketing feature. The wife , who is gretly more knowledgeable on women's fashion than am I, has informed me that women who opted for Wranglers over Levis were seen as real bad girls, the 'easier access' zip fly taking a very different meaning for them over men.

I have more of a preference for button flies over zips by a long chalk in "proper" trousers, for one simple reason. At home, I can sew regular buttons back on or replace them very easily; it can even be done 'on the go' in the office in an emergency. If a zip breaks, however, I have to take it to a pro...

Was just thinking today... I found a L30 jeans, even tho I normally only wear 32 or 34 and they look SO much better on boots. I never liked cuffs and never cuffed any of my jeans, but I didn't particularly like the look of a bunched up legs, especially on baggy jeans either so shorter jeans is where it's at.

Jeans are crappy, anyway. Fades are okay but overall, I'd rather if there was a decent alternative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy