Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

jfan

New in Town
Is that a new leather offering? Or are they just waxing the underside of the regular horse butt? I didn't know you can pick a different last and pair it with another upper. Sucks they don't do half sizing, that would make a big difference in fit.

Got it, nice to know that viberg uses the same hide too. I think the brown looks better than the teacore black so I'll wait for next time. Yes, those oil tanned medium brown shade is so nice looking, I see some of those jackets every now and then at the what jacket are you wearing thread.
Here's some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/7aORPJ6
Someone on reddit was running a group order for the leather so hopped on it. Benzein actually sized me in a 40.5 wide. I wonder if the half sizes depends on the last or not.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Here's some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/7aORPJ6
Someone on reddit was running a group order for the leather so hopped on it. Benzein actually sized me in a 40.5 wide. I wonder if the half sizes depends on the last or not.

Looks amazing, can't wait to see the finished article! It's pretty light colored, that should really age well with wear when it darkens up with wear. That's nice to know, they did not offer/recommend half sizing in any of my orders but wished it was available for the Chelseas especially to make the fit perfect.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I do. I think they’re very similar quality wise (leather, stitching, finishing, welt, etc). I prefer the profile of carmina’s sleeker European lasts, but my wide foot prefers Alden’s generous trubalance and Barrie lasts. I’ve eyed carmina’s shell boots and wouldn’t hesitate to buy, but at that price I’m torn between those and some Vass “Valways” or Enzo Bonafes. Good luck!
Thanks, I've been drooling over the Vass shoes, the problem is that I'm a bit reluctant to order them online as there is no retailer here to try them on. I've regretted I didn't try them when I visited their shop in Budapest 2 years ago.
I've also heard excellent reviews on ZEB shoes (https://www.zebshoes.com), however these are made to measure and I'm a bit reluctant to go that way.
Never tried italian brands, I've been eyeing the Meccariello's and Scafora's though.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Thanks, I've been drooling over the Vass shoes, the problem is that I'm a bit reluctant to order them online as there is no retailer here to try them on. I've regretted I didn't try them when I visited their shop in Budapest 2 years ago.
I've also heard excellent reviews on ZEB shoes (https://www.zebshoes.com), however these are made to measure and I'm a bit reluctant to go that way.
Never tried italian brands, I've been eyeing the Meccariello's and Scafora's though.
I’m in a similar boat. I’ve lusted after Bonafe, Meccariello, Vass, and Scafora for years, but with an odd foot and no local stockists, I haven’t ordered. I ordered from Skoak once and when I tried to return, the return shipping was more than I wanted to pay so I just ate it as a sunk cost.

Psant25

One Too Many
So as ya know got my matching honcho boots last friday. Was a little disappointed see pics a nail is seen both heels. I emailed them saturday and getting a return label today. Wish it was not shipped like this and difficult after waiting like 4 months but they are taking care of me as I think they should.
E00D2A4B-7DFA-4220-B870-9815E9846D49.jpeg
E65677A9-410C-4048-B82D-1CC9CE25B0A1.jpeg

Attachments

• EA03589B-F98B-4B19-8487-480C2D9A3DBF.jpeg
    EA03589B-F98B-4B19-8487-480C2D9A3DBF.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 597

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
So as ya know got my matching honcho boots last friday. Was a little disappointed see pics a nail is seen both heels. I emailed them saturday and getting a return label today. Wish it was not shipped like this and difficult after waiting like 4 months but they are taking care of me as I think they should.
View attachment 320226 View attachment 320227
Man, that's disappointing. Hope they sort it for you quickly.

Psant25

One Too Many
Man, that's disappointing. Hope they sort it for you quickly.
Yeah even my cobbler was like hmm have not seen a nail in that spot idk. Shipped already just a reheel and should hopefully be a quick turn around. I prlly hav More boots to break in than i know what to do with so no big deal. I Will add some pics when I get the boots back. Next pair i am thinking more Honcho or maybe try wesco again some custom morrisons 12 in height mp toe narrow shaft 1 inch ...

Psant25

One Too Many
View attachment 320854
RW 875. Day one. Ubiquitous on the web and in my opinion with good reason. As sturdy as a work boot comes. I’m retiring a pair that are 12 years old with 3 soles. They’re beat up but i could get several more years from them
Loved my 10875s wish i never gave them to my brother. Had mine for a long while with 2-3 resoles great boots.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@Jin431 those cordmasters look great. I'm excited to get mine.

Next up on my boot collection list is my Role Club engineer boots on the 2307 flat toe last in brown Horween Chromexcel.

I strongly dislike Horween Chromexcel leather. I wrote an entire article talking about how this leather is more overrated than the TV show Friends. That is a major reason they are only ranked at 7 on this list. These boots would undoubtedly be much higher if I had gotten these in the natural Essex leather, but I forget if that was available when I got them. I deeply regret choosing this leather for these boots. It is as dull and boring as modern Nascar. With that said, I still absolutely love these boots. The dark brown color and dark brown edge finishing combined with the fact that these are my smallest and slimmest engineer boots makes them a good pair of semi formal engineers when needed. The leather may look good in the photo with the tan chinos, but that is only after a lot of conditioning and wax polish. Otherwise, it's a dull, flat, boring leather and I can hardly even tell that it's horsehide, unlike with all my other horsehide boots and jackets.

On the plus side, the quality of the boots themselves is high. They are wonderfully made by Brian the Bootmaker in Los Angeles, CA. The design is brilliant as well. I really love the 2307 last that Brian has crafted. They also fit me extremely well thanks to Brian measuring my feet in person. I absolutely love everything about these boots except the leather. In a different leather, I can guarantee they would be at least in the top five, if not higher. The only weird thing is that the heel counters are crazy soft on these boots. I can push them in way too easily and they feel quite flimsy. Otherwise, these are great and I wear them a lot.

A1ici6I.jpg

B66UytP.jpg

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
@Jin431 those cordmasters look great. I'm excited to get mine.

Next up on my boot collection list is my Role Club engineer boots on the 2307 flat toe last in brown Horween Chromexcel.

I strongly dislike Horween Chromexcel leather. I wrote an entire article talking about how this leather is more overrated than the TV show Friends. That is a major reason they are only ranked at 7 on this list. These boots would undoubtedly be much higher if I had gotten these in the natural Essex leather, but I forget if that was available when I got them. I deeply regret choosing this leather for these boots. It is as dull and boring as modern Nascar. With that said, I still absolutely love these boots. The dark brown color and dark brown edge finishing combined with the fact that these are my smallest and slimmest engineer boots makes them a good pair of semi formal engineers when needed. The leather may look good in the photo with the tan chinos, but that is only after a lot of conditioning and wax polish. Otherwise, it's a dull, flat, boring leather and I can hardly even tell that it's horsehide, unlike with all my other horsehide boots and jackets.

On the plus side, the quality of the boots themselves is high. They are wonderfully made by Brian the Bootmaker in Los Angeles, CA. The design is brilliant as well. I really love the 2307 last that Brian has crafted. They also fit me extremely well thanks to Brian measuring my feet in person. I absolutely love everything about these boots except the leather. In a different leather, I can guarantee they would be at least in the top five, if not higher. The only weird thing is that the heel counters are crazy soft on these boots. I can push them in way too easily and they feel quite flimsy. Otherwise, these are great and I wear them a lot.

A1ici6I.jpg

B66UytP.jpg
Nascar, like hockey, must be seen live to enjoy. That is all.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
That wasn't all. I think those boots look great as is, but why don't you add saphir renovateur cream and some wax polish to liven up the CXL? I'm in Brian's queue and can't decide what to get. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I've got another year to mull it over.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Nascar, like hockey, must be seen live to enjoy. That is all.

Yeah I used to like Nascar, but all the dumb rules they have now ruin it for me. I'm sure the races are still enjoyable in person.

That wasn't all. I think those boots look great as is, but why don't you add saphir renovateur cream and some wax polish to liven up the CXL? I'm in Brian's queue and can't decide what to get. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I've got another year to mull it over.

I did do that. The picture of me wearing them shows how they look with saphir renovateur and wax polish. They still aren't as deep and rich as other leathers.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Yeah I used to like Nascar, but all the dumb rules they have now ruin it for me. I'm sure the races are still enjoyable in person.

I did do that. The picture of me wearing them shows how they look with saphir renovateur and wax polish. They still aren't as deep and rich as other leathers.
Fair enough. I completely understand your feelings about CXL when compared to richer leathers like shinki hh, maryam hr, or badelassi cowhide. Maybe I'd feel more like you if my collection was as diverse, but I think CXL has its own merits, especially its pull-up aspects.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Loved my 10875s wish i never gave them to my brother. Had mine for a long while with 2-3 resoles great boots.
Good catch! I didn’t know there were both 875s and 1075s. Either did the clerk at the red wing store apparently. I took the 10875 back and got the 875. The leather is a little thinner and will be easier to break in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW