Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Most of TFL goes from fashion to heritage but I guess it's the other way around for me. I dunno why these are being looked down upon by the "rugged" folk, 'cause they sure as paint are sturdy af and they look the part.

Anyway, while I love vtg inspired footwear, problem is I always found most of it kind of boring - Well, not exactly boring but nothing that particularly stands out - Which is why I never seriously got into high-end heritage makers. At the same time, while I always liked cowboy boots, I always felt they're sort of too... Cowboy and not something that truly wanted to be a part of my style.

SLP's Lukas boots ain't nothing revolutionary of course but at the same time, they're done in a way that to me personally, has no alternative. And I've spent weeks looking into every possible (preferably cheaper) alternative because I ain't paying the kind of money these guys are asking, until finally deciding I guess I'm just going to have to pay the kind of money they're asking.
I even made a long list of boots from other makers that would scratch this itch, each morning picking one I'll definitely buy, until ultimately completely giving up on 'em by sundown. It'd just be buying something that I desperately want to look like something I'm too cheap to buy. So I said to heck with it. Sold a coupla jackets and bought these.

It's no secret SLP has the best looking silhouette in footwear out there & that Wyatt's might be the most perfect boot ever made but I always preferred these. Since I have 13 black boots, I guess I just kinda lucked out that these popped up in my size in brown at... Okay-ish price.

And here they are!

20210615-130908.jpg

20210615-130819.jpg

20210615-130930.jpg

20210615-130936.jpg

20210615-130853.jpg

20210615-130902.jpg

20210615-130924.jpg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Most of TFL goes from fashion to heritage but I guess it's the other way around for me. I dunno why these are being looked down upon by the "rugged" folk, 'cause they sure as paint are sturdy af and they look the part.

Anyway, while I love vtg inspired footwear, problem is I always found most of it kind of boring - Well, not exactly boring but nothing that particularly stands out - Which is why I never seriously got into high-end heritage makers. At the same time, while I always liked cowboy boots, I always felt they're sort of too... Cowboy and not something that truly wanted to be a part of my style.

SLP's Lukas boots ain't nothing revolutionary of course but at the same time, they're done in a way that to me personally, has no alternative. And I've spent weeks looking into every possible (preferably cheaper) alternative because I ain't paying the kind of money these guys are asking, until finally deciding I guess I'm just going to have to pay the kind of money they're asking.
I even made a long list of boots from other makers that would scratch this itch, each morning picking one I'll definitely buy, until ultimately completely giving up on 'em by sundown. It'd just be buying something that I desperately want to look like something I'm too cheap to buy. So I said to heck with it. Sold a coupla jackets and bought these.

It's no secret SLP has the best looking silhouette in footwear out there & that Wyatt's might be the most perfect boot ever made but I always preferred these. Since I have 13 black boots, I guess I just kinda lucked out that these popped up in my size in brown at... Okay-ish price.

And here they are!

20210615-130908.jpg

20210615-130819.jpg

20210615-130930.jpg

20210615-130936.jpg

20210615-130853.jpg

20210615-130902.jpg

20210615-130924.jpg

They are absolutely spectacular. I have no idea how much you paid for em but I’d say it was worth it!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

And here they are!

20210615-130908.jpg

20210615-130819.jpg

20210615-130930.jpg

20210615-130936.jpg

20210615-130853.jpg

20210615-130902.jpg

20210615-130924.jpg

They strike that balance that you won't really find elsewhere... no wonder you went for them! They look great!!

dwilson

A-List Customer
Indeed! The thickest horse butt I've handled and the hand dyeing technique is just outstanding

Truman Maryam Horsebutt before and after a 12 mile hike.

View attachment 341278

View attachment 341281

Glad to see someone beating up their boots a bit. I always find it odd when people buy these super expensive boots which are designed to be rebuilt and made out of tough material then baby them. Shell corodovan (I know these are horse butt) was originally used in boots because it is so durable, comfortable, easy to clean and fine with water. Of course I'm going to wear them doing pretty much everything.

They are absolutely spectacular. I have no idea how much you paid for em but I’d say it was worth it!

Thanks! They weren't cheap, needless to say but I'm tempted to buy a pair in black. Kind of insane, I know but y'know when someone makes you that perfect piece of clothing that you always wanted to find but it didn't exist. Excpet that it suddenly exists.

They strike that balance that you won't really find elsewhere... no wonder you went for them! They look great!!

If you have a YSL store near by, go check these or any other out. They're really worth it. Leather isn't as thick as I dunno, Clinch or something but the design, make and cut really stands out. These can compete with anything out there.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

And here they are!

20210615-130908.jpg

20210615-130819.jpg

20210615-130930.jpg

20210615-130936.jpg

20210615-130853.jpg

20210615-130902.jpg

20210615-130924.jpg

Congrats, Mon! Totally understand your reasoning. How any times have I NOT bought that grail piece because I deemed it to be too expensive. How many times have I wasted money on a budget alternative that just didn't end up scratching that itch. How many times have I ended up finally buying the grail after all... Better to cut it short, like you did.

Ah, almost forgot: Really cool boots too! Urban cowboy at it's very best!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

And here they are!

20210615-130908.jpg

20210615-130819.jpg

20210615-130930.jpg

20210615-130936.jpg

20210615-130853.jpg

20210615-130902.jpg

20210615-130924.jpg
Great Buy!
Women don't pay attention to our jackets. But they do pay attention to our choice of footwear. Nice!

Congrats, Mon! Totally understand your reasoning. How any times have I NOT bought that grail piece because I deemed it to be too expensive. How many times have I wasted money on a budget alternative that just didn't end up scratching that itch. How many times have I ended up finally buying the grail after all... Better to cut it short, like you did.

Ah, almost forgot: Really cool boots too! Urban cowboy at it's very best!

That's a good conversation topic in itself; Is buying a considerably pricier item with an existing, readily available alternative, stupid? Especially provided that the alternative is of good quality and ultimately not a waste of money in itself. Is in such a case, a priciest option automatically a waste of money, if brand name isn't something one is after?

Then again, where does being cheap ends? Why even buy a mid range alternative with ASOS and Ali-express around?

When I first decided that the Saint Laurent boots are too expensive, I turned my attention to a very similar boot by Grinders and Sendra, both great makers. Grinders is okay, Sendra is tops. I almost pulled the trigger with Grinders but then I realized that at the end of the day, they'd still cost me 1/3 of the price of YSL's which... Won't make me very happy as ultimately, I'd rather have one pair of YSL's than three pairs of Grinders.

Then I turned to ASOS and realized they literally copied the entire Saint Laurent line and that their knock-off's cost like 50 USD. And stuff by ASOS isn't all too bad, really. So why not just get these, instead, save a major amount of money and call it a day.

Indeed, why not? I don't know. That's when I bought YSL's. No clue why. Just seemed right. I didn't want to be that other guy. Lol!

Great Buy!
Women don't pay attention to our jackets. But they do pay attention to our choice of footwear. Nice!

Will test & report back. XD

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Is buying a considerably pricier item with an existing, readily available alternative, stupid?

Of course there are always monetary considerations. Leaving this aside, my firm conviction these days is: Do what makes you happy. Even for a furtive moment. Life´s too short for regrets.

I repeat: for most of us, money is always an issue. I don't drive a Porsche, and I live in a rented house. But I don't buy into, "you can find a similar quality item for less money" argument. We all are attracted by names, images (of a product and much more of ourselves) to some extent. I have stopped trying to argue if and why a certain product is "worth its money". It is, if it's FOR ME.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@Monitor there have been many conversations on the lounge about learning that you cannot compromise on a jacket even if the one you truly want is expensive. You won't be satisfied until you get "the one."

It's the same for footwear. I think those boots look quite handsome. They're not for me, but they're well designed no doubt. Given your style I'd say a pair in black is pretty much essential. They suite your style magnificently. Even with no fit pics I can tell that quite easily.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Glad to see someone beating up their boots a bit. I always find it odd when people buy these super expensive boots which are designed to be rebuilt and made out of tough material then baby them. Shell corodovan (I know these are horse butt) was originally used in boots because it is so durable, comfortable, easy to clean and fine with water. Of course I'm going to wear them doing pretty much everything.
I normally don't wear my boots for work so I wear them as much as I can when I can as well. I wear them hiking even though they are not fully broken in and I suffer from it but oh well might as well start the process.

I generally like boots that are easy to maintain and have less of a real break in so I gravitate towards horsebutt. I do like the look of shell cordovan but I'll be too chicken to use it for roughhousing because how expensive they are lol

@Monitor there have been many conversations on the lounge about learning that you cannot compromise on a jacket even if the one you truly want is expensive. You won't be satisfied until you get "the one."

It's the same for footwear. I think those boots look quite handsome. They're not for me, but they're well designed no doubt. Given your style I'd say a pair in black is pretty much essential. They suite your style magnificently. Even with no fit pics I can tell that quite easily.

But what if I get the one and am not really satisfied again? Or when I get something cheap and realize it's exactly what I've been looking for thru buying very expensive jackets, none of which ever delivered? There are no rules. XD But I completely agree it's best to take the priciest route because, chances are, it's a cheaper one at the end as it relies less on luck.

And as much as I hate it, I have to agree that black are absolutely essential now but gotta hunt a pair down, one that's not a thousand USD on YSL.com, lol! I already have a list of five of these that I need which would set me back a good $4000 so that won't happen soon but still, something to do.

These are really great, though! Check 'em out just for the quality. I was surprised how sturdy a fashion boot is but then again, what got me to buy them is all the talk on Reddit how people take theirs for all day hiking.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
So they ask a thousand dollars for what it seems (at least to me) a blake-stitched pair? I would exclaim "Jesus...", but on the other hand I guess there are fashion brands to ask even more for cemented ones.
What about Santoni's. Most Santoni's are Blake stitched. Still great shoes. Nothing wrong with a blake stitched shoe imo.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
What about Santoni's. Most Santoni's are Blake stitched. Still great shoes. Nothing wrong with a blake stitched shoe imo.
No, nothing wrong with a Blake-stitched shoe (just a bit more difficult to resole and probably you can resole it less times), when priced accordingly. It is a faster, simpler and thus cheaper construction method compared to the Goodyear ones.
Edit: never tried santoni's, I was never a fan of their designs.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Most luxury Italian shoes are blake stitched. They are a lot more comfortable out of the box. I usually add a toppy rubber so I don't fall down the stairs. I had a pair of favorite Ferragamos that was blake stitched and worn out after a few years, I took it to get resoled, the cobbler said the most he can do is slap on another sole on top of the worn one. It was not the same after that. My suggestion is same as what Monitor is doing. Get a second pair. Luxury brands go on sale with steep discounts often, and once in a while you can luck out on YOOX on floor samples after a few years. It will be dusty but at less than a quarter of the original price it's all good.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Most luxury Italian shoes are blake stitched. They are a lot more comfortable out of the box. I usually add a toppy rubber so I don't fall down the stairs. I had a pair of favorite Ferragamos that was blake stitched and worn out after a few years, I took it to get resoled, the cobbler said the most he can do is slap on another sole on top of the worn one. It was not the same after that. My suggestion is same as what Monitor is doing. Get a second pair. Luxury brands go on sale with steep discounts often, and once in a while you can luck out on YOOX on floor samples after a few years. It will be dusty but at less than a quarter of the original price it's all good.
With blake stitching you can achieve a thin sole profile (that's why luxury fashion brands probably use it) and a more comfortable shoe. Further it is a faster and less complicated method. It can be fully resoled but the cobbler needs the special sewing machine, so it is more difficult to find one.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
But what if I get the one and am not really satisfied again? Or when I get something cheap and realize it's exactly what I've been looking for thru buying very expensive jackets, none of which ever delivered? There are no rules. XD But I completely agree it's best to take the priciest route because, chances are, it's a cheaper one at the end as it relies less on luck.

And as much as I hate it, I have to agree that black are absolutely essential now but gotta hunt a pair down, one that's not a thousand USD on YSL.com, lol! I already have a list of five of these that I need which would set me back a good $4000 so that won't happen soon but still, something to do.

These are really great, though! Check 'em out just for the quality. I was surprised how sturdy a fashion boot is but then again, what got me to buy them is all the talk on Reddit how people take theirs for all day hiking.
The hunt is often part of the fun though, isn't it? I'm sure you'll find a good pair eventually.

"Fashion" stuff is often well made. Not always, but then again, fake and garbage stuff exists in our neck of the woods too.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It can be fully resoled but the cobbler needs the special sewing machine, so it is more difficult to find one.
True, if your cobbler has a (rapid) Blake machine he can easily do a full resole. If he knows what he's doing, the resole job won't change anything to the comfort/fit of the shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21