Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Schambach

Practically Family
@Pandemic I'm a pretty solid D width on the brannock, and in most brands. The 3 eye Solovairs definitely fit me on the wider side, but ymmv.

I don't recall Docs fitting wide, but I gave up on them quite a while back when they moved production out of the UK and the quality dropped noticeably. No idea how they fit these days.

jglf

A-List Customer
It definitely varies between makers. I had a pair of Allen Edmonds CXL shoes that looked horrible after a year or two, but some Alden CXL boots that are almost ten years old and very worn that still look great. My CXL Whites, Vibergs, and Rancourts seem to be aging very nicely as well. This supports your theory on the higher priced footwear using better bits/better clicking, with Rancourt being the outlier in that they were pretty reasonably priced.
Guess it comes down to luck with some of the mid tier brands. Say you can make 6 pairs per hide, if AE or Alden uses the whole hide, maybe half of them will be well clicked where a higher end brand might only make 3 pairs per hide. I would definitely pay a premium to get a pair of boots from the best parts of the hide.

Edward

Bartender
Says who? I'm missing the added value of your comment to this discussion.

It's a fair enough - if entirely subjective - opinion. Not one I share, personally, though to be fair given that I favour styles that existed pre-1960, it would be odd indeed for me to hold a notion that they were somehow dated or past it!

This is what I can't stop buying White's and Nick's boots...!

They are a little heavy, something you get used to, but are worth it...

I like a heavy boots myself. Reassuring. Never notice the weight when being worn, though, at least not with a well-fitting boot, especially laced.

It is difficult to put into words how beautiful these are IRL.

Wanted Jodhpurs ever since seeing @Robbie79's Clinch boots tho I knew straight away this ain't really an option. 2+K monies is a bit too much for me, especially with the uncertainty of getting them thru Customs and whatnot, considering the amount could climb up to near $3500 with all the taxes and other bs. Plus I like that cowboy boots vibe just too much to settle for the round toe.
Turns out Saint Laurent did these in Kangaroo a few years back but of course they were all sold out and finding a used pair in 46 is rarely an option, as that's the highest number they do and there are much lesser pairs made but sometimes all you gotta do is wait, I suppose.

They're of course nowhere near as robust and tough looking as Clinch but they make up for it in class and sleekness. And leather. Kangaroo hide is beautiful. I didn't expect it to be this nice from the pic but it's actually so nice.

In any case, I love these. And gotta stop buying 'em. This is it, for real. I'm done.

0nVya08.jpg

ZXhsPB6.jpg

7EjRZPr.jpg

nZJtnCC.jpg

em7rQ0C.jpg

e03NNK5.jpg

D1p02r7.jpg

These have a bit of a Westwood vibe to my eye. Somewhere between Seditionaries and Buffalo Gals. I rather like them.

Solvair and Airwair both do a Made in England premium GYW line (both are also offering Horween as well). I keep circling back to these and thinking the oxblood/burgundy/cherry colors would work with black and brown jackets. Then I have to remind myself that regular widths just don’t work for me anymore. :( View attachment 367228 View attachment 367229

Solovair used to make them for DMs before they struck out on their own when DM moved production to China. DM did later bring back some lines in England as it clearly was something a part of the market demanded. Both do a nice boot (the grained leathers are more durable, in my experience), though I don't much care for the look of the sole. Undeniably comfy, all the same - I wore the shoe version for several years at school, and then early on at University I had a couple of pairs of the boots, before I later moved on to squaddie boots. Prefer a leather or solid Dainite-type rubber sole these days.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I took the plunge.

Last year I got some Wesco Mr Lou’s after getting introduced to Engineer Boots right here. I felt self conscious for some time, convinced everybody was staring at them. That passed, and now they barely leave my feet as long as I don’t intend to walk longer stretches (or work, of course).

That experience encouraged me to take the last step too: “Cowboy” Boots from Rios of Mercedes (x Fortela). Instant love!

1E9180DB-8AFB-4E9A-953A-B93F05395CD1.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
Ok, I took the plunge.

Last year I got some Wesco Mr Lou’s after getting introduced to Engineer Boots right here. I felt self conscious for some time, convinced everybody was staring at them. That passed, and now they barely leave my feet as long as I don’t intend to walk longer stretches (or work, of course).

That experience encouraged me to take the last step too: “Cowboy” Boots from Rios of Mercedes (x Fortela). Instant love!

View attachment 368005

let’s see that heel!!! These look awesome.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, I took the plunge.

View attachment 368005

Wow! They look really cool!

What convinced to try western boots was seeing someone at an Iron Heart event. They just worked perfectly with blue jeans :D

Psant25

One Too Many
Ok, I took the plunge.

View attachment 368005
Looks great! I should be getting my rios boots any week now. Has been about 6 months wait…

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I took the plunge.

View attachment 368005
The are awesome. Did you have to fly to Texas to get these, or do they have stockists in Europe?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Looks great! I should be getting my rios boots any week now. Has been about 6 months wait…

Looking forward to seeing them when they arrive!

I know nothing about western boots, makers etc. other than the “barely scratch the surface” European perception of all things Americana.
I am glad that I was able to get the Rios as an OTR model as I probably would not have dared going custom on an item as alien to me as that. Zero wait time as a bonus, of course…

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the very positive feedback on the western boots. That is reassuring for me!

I am a small town boy, and in my teens “Cowboy” boots on a bloke were considered a big no (girls not so much. That was considered weird but was tolerated). I know of one schoolmate who appeared in western boots to a party. He was literally laughed off the scene. Boots never appeared again.
Funny, really: I was in my teens during the 80’s and everybody just loved all things American. When it came to imitating certain iconic looks however, tolerance usually faded pretty fast (at least in my very, very remote neck of the world). Western boots would be one example, but it was more or less the same with RayBan Aviators or “Top Gun” jackets.

Equally funny: when I wear items some off the beaten track nowadays (patched up G1, Boots,…), reactions are always very positive if I get a comment at all. I guess it’s all about wearing the stuff and not letting it wear you, but it may be a certain element of “trying to be young again too ;). Of course, I am now living in a much more urban surroundings, so people are used to all sorts of weird cosplay…

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Dinkelacker today...

full

Wow! When did you get them? (I ask because I have two pairs made in Hungary and while they are fine, I find them a bit overpriced. I chatted to a shoemaker last week who told me that they have been sold again and the new shoes were much better made).

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are older Luzern, as far as I could find out from 2018 or slightly older, paid 200,- bucks (what I found to be a fair price) in 2020 at a mid sized shoe shop chain.
As far as I know they moved their production to Spain meanwhile, what does not necessarily mean to be a disadvantage in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points