Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

wz1999

One of the Regulars
The Real McCoys
Alden
IMG_1686.jpeg

rmconner80

Familiar Face
Speaking of Aldens…

I just got these: wedge sole Indys in black suede, 360 antique welt, trubalance last. Absolutely loving them, this is my third pair of Indys and I’m heading towards ‘collector’ status at this point.

Couple of observations: 1) I’m a huge fan of the TB last, 2) I’m becoming a big fan of suede Indys, 3) the wedge sole (my first) is amazing - very light and comfortable, and 4) as always Alden’s are stupid expensive.

5417B4D4-77EC-42F4-A4AC-2648F500880A.jpeg
47F6FFD4-BE7B-43F9-BF26-D3F5D6D45F3C.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
When it comes to footwear I've almost exclusively been wearing boots for the past decade or so. I do own a couple of loafers and derby's but those are reserved for the office. Most of my boots are 'dress boots' made by one of the many great European shoemakers, think of Crockett & Jones; Edward Green; Gaziano & Girling; Carmina; Santoni or Silvano Sasetti.

Lately I've been exploring some more casual styles like engineer boots, cowboy boots or combat boots. These American style boots are much harder to come by than dress boots here in Europe. Especially when you're looking for premium quality boots.

Of course there are European retailers like Burg & Schild, Stuff or East West apparel which stock American made boots but import fees on shoes are harsh. A pair of suede plain toe Alden's will set you back €800 while the exact same pair will cost a couple of hundred less in the US. At €800 they're simply not worth the money imo. The same money will buy you a much nicer European made dress boot.

But I don't want dress boots, I want something more casual. Well, there are Northamptonshire makers like Trickers or Cheaney which offer some more casual styles but since the UK is no longer part of the EU footwear from those makers is now subject to import fees too. Also, they don't offer American styles like Engineers or Monkey Boots.

But then there's Bright Shoemakers, a Danish footwear brand that was founded in 2015.

As you can see on their website, they offer casual style boots and shoes, some of them with a Western/cowboy twist. Bright is not actually a maker, it's a brand which means they design the shoes and have another company make them. Their footwear is "handmade at a family run shoe factory in Spain with more than 100 years of experience in artisanal shoe making". If I'm not mistaken that factory is Sendra.

I've handled boots from another European brand that has their boots produced by Sendra but I wasn't too impressed tbh. Materials and construction quality were mediocre at best. I guess brands are able to select different levels of material and construction quality even though the boots are made at the same factory.

Anyway, let's see the 'Bright shoemakers' boots I ordered, A pair of suede Jodhpur's.

IMG_1299.jpeg
IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1303.jpeg
IMG_1302.jpeg
IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg

They are Goodyear welted (270 degrees), double stacked sole and have a stacked Cuban heel. As you can see the finish is really clean. When compared to dress shoes I'd say the finish is much nicer than Carmina, nicer than bench grade C&J but not as nice as handgrade C&J or Edward Greens. Which makes sense as boots from those makers are two or three times more expensive. These Bright Shoemaker Jodhpur's were 'only' €500. Which is a lot of money of course but not nearly as expensive as a pair of imported Alden's or Vibergs which are of lesser construction quality. Were they flawless? No. One of the boots had a small piece of plastic material stuck inbetween the outer sole and the upper (during construction the upper is protected by a plastic layer) but luckily it was easy to remove with a pair of tweezers. Sloppy but no biggie.

I really love the last which is a bit more sleek than these Rios Mercedes boots for instance. Perfect for the style.

IMG_1305.jpeg

In terms of sizing, they do run big. I was advised to order my regular size which is 42 but I feel like a 41.5 would have been better. Anyway, I put in a leather insole and now they're a perfect fit. Talking about the insole...They come with a memory foam insole which felt kind of weird, bouncy when I just got them. Luckily after wearing them a handful of times the 'bounciness' is now gone so I can't really say it's a negative I guess but if I had the choice I would prefer a regular thin leather insole.

The overall verdict? I absolutely love them, have been wearing them pretty much every other day since I got them. I might order another pair in black if available. Half a size down though.

IMG_1734.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
When it comes to footwear I've almost exclusively been wearing boots for the past decade or so. I do own a couple of loafers and derby's but those are reserved for the office. Most of my boots are 'dress boots' made by one of the many great European shoemakers, think of Crockett & Jones; Edward Green; Gaziano & Girling; Carmina; Santoni or Silvano Sasetti.

Lately I've been exploring some more casual styles like engineer boots, cowboy boots or combat boots. These American style boots are much harder to come by than dress boots here in Europe. Especially when you're looking for premium quality boots.

Of course there are European retailers like Burg & Schild, Stuff or East West apparel which stock American made boots but import fees on shoes are harsh. A pair of suede plain toe Alden's will set you back €800 while the exact same pair will cost a couple of hundred less in the US. At €800 they're simply not worth the money imo. The same money will buy you a much nicer European made dress boot.

But I don't want dress boots, I want something more casual. Well, there are Northamptonshire makers like Trickers or Cheaney which offer some more casual styles but since the UK is no longer part of the EU footwear from those makers is now also subject to import fees. Also, they don't offer American styles like Engineers or Monkey Boots.

But then there's Bright Shoemakers, a Danish footwear brand that was founded in 2015.

As you can see on their website, they offer casual style boots and shoes, some of them with a Western/cowboy twist. Bright is not actually a maker, it's a brand which means they design the shoes and have another company make them. Their footwear is "handmade at a family run shoe factory in Spain with more than 100 years of experience in artisanal shoe making". If I'm not mistaken that factory is Sendra.

I've handled boots from another European brand that has their boots produced by Sendra but I wasn't too impressed tbh. Materials and construction quality were mediocre at best. I guess brands are able to select different levels of material and construction quality even though the boots are made at the same factory.

Anyway, let's see the 'Bright shoemakers' boots I ordered, A pair of suede Jodhpur's.

View attachment 517704 View attachment 517705 View attachment 517702 View attachment 517703 View attachment 517701
View attachment 517699 View attachment 517698
They are Goodyear welted (270 degrees), double stacked sole and have a stacked Cuban heel. As you can see the finish is really clean. When compared to dress shoes I'd say the finish is much nicer than Carmina, nicer than bench grade C&J but not as nice as handgrade C&J or Edward Greens. Which makes sense as boots from those makers are two or three times more expensive. These Bright Shoemaker Jodhpur's were 'only' €500. Which is a lot of money of course but not nearly as expensive as a pair of imported Alden's or Vibergs which are of lesser construction quality. Were they flawless? No. One of the boots had a small piece of plastic material stuck inbetween the outer sole and the upper (during construction the upper is protected by a plastic layer) but luckily it was easy to remove with a pair of tweezers. Sloppy but no biggie.

I really love the last which is a bit more sleek than these Rios Mercedes boots for instance. Perfect for the style.

View attachment 517700

In terms of sizing, they do run big. I was advised to order my regular size which is 42 but I feel like a 41.5 would have been better. Anyway, I put in a leather insole and now they're a perfect fit. Talking about the insole...They come with a memory foam insole which felt kind of weird, bouncy when I just got them. Luckily after wearing them a handful of times the 'bounciness' is now gone so I can't really say it's a negative I guess but if I had the choice I would prefer a regular thin leather insole.

The overall verdict? I absolutely love them, have been wearing them pretty much every other day since I got them. I might order another pair in black if available. Half a size down though.

View attachment 517696 View attachment 517697
Beautiful boots, Marc. You should put a protective rubber half sole to protect the leather sole. It's too nice to be worn out. Also, leather can be slippery in certain surfaces. Once the rubber sole wears out, you can just peel it off and put a new one on, extending the life of the leather sole tremendously.

There is a French shoe repair brand named TOPY. They make great quality rubber half sole. I think cobblers in the Netherlands will stock these. Or you can go with a 430 or 700 VIbram half sole if you prefer a thicker look.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

But I don't want dress boots, I want something more casual. Well, there are Northamptonshire makers like Trickers or Cheaney which offer some more casual styles but since the UK is no longer part of the EU footwear from those makers is now subject to import fees too. Also, they don't offer American styles like Engineers or Monkey Boots.

View attachment 517704 View attachment 517705 View attachment 517702 View attachment 517703 View attachment 517701

View attachment 517700

These look very good!

Took a look at their website and found these:

IMG_0847_1800x1800.jpg

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Apart from 2 pairs of Wolverine 1000 miles boots, I usually wear casual shoes or sneakers (usually Paciotti, but I recently discovered a repair shop in Milan, "Maestri Ciccone", which makes very comfortable shoes, where I bought a pair of really good blue leather sneakers).
I recently pointed to the Grant Stone boots, model "Edward": does anyone have experience in those?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful boots, Marc. You should put a protective rubber half sole to protect the leather sole. It's too nice to be worn out. Also, leather can be slippery in certain surfaces. Once the rubber sole wears out, you can just peel it off and put a new one on, extending the life of the leather sole tremendously.

There is a French shoe repair brand named TOPY. They make great quality rubber half sole. I think cobblers in the Netherlands will stock these. Or you can go with a 430 or 700 VIbram half sole if you prefer a thicker look.
That's I great tip, thnx!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Marc mndt
Thanks for the write up!
I've been into heritage/casual boots for the last several years. That's what got me into leather initially.

Currently I have settled with wearing mostly Red Wings due to the high supply and availability in second hand market in EU (you can get used in very good condition for ~150eu most models) and Sendra (also great 2nd hand market, can get most models in very good condition for ~100eu).

Would love to buy some Bright Shoemakers engineers in the future, especially if they agree to accommodate a few custom features for me (unstructured toe, pure veg tan insole).
Not quite sure if their markup is worth it yet, as they charge ~600eu while you can get a CUSTOM pair of Sendra boots for ~300-350eu. I'm just not sure how custom the custom Sendra boots are. I have tried communicating with them directly about it, but their answers to my various questions were quite vague.
While with Bright Shoemakers we have @Kenan here.

I know a few other different options in EU/Scandinavia/UK, but Bright Shoemakers would be the first ones I would go for at the moment. Their engineers do look very appealing.

Attachments

• D5CE0A2D-37C5-4E73-8C71-ABF84125CDB4.jpeg
    D5CE0A2D-37C5-4E73-8C71-ABF84125CDB4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • 8922AA64-ABE4-4138-B19E-23D111064D9F.jpeg
    8922AA64-ABE4-4138-B19E-23D111064D9F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 5EA9F69E-C7E4-46A5-8A9C-7FAE524AAE67.jpeg
    5EA9F69E-C7E4-46A5-8A9C-7FAE524AAE67.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 517700

Nice looking boots. I would categorise these as semi-dress though. I remember when I was living in the UK, I had trouble finding OK quality sleek cowboy and harness boots. I had a couple of buckle boots and managed to find a pair of Mexican made harness by a company called Adams I think. I don't think it exists anymore. Seems to be export focus company as I found some used pairs on Rakuten.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Actually, Tricker's do offer Monkey Boots. They're not my personal preference, though... Don't really like the style

sVZ1MPf.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I just noticed that my reply might've sounded harsh. That wasn't my intention at all... So, if it did sound that way, I'm sorry. It is just that I saw this boot not that long ago
No worries buddy, I didn't take it that way :)

Personally I'm not a fan of monkey boots myself. I just mentioned then to illustrate my point that European dress shoe makers don't do American designs. I couldn't be more wrong lol. Turns out monkey boots originate from Eastern Europe, they're not an American style at all. Maybe I should stick to jacket reviews lol.

Edward

Bartender
Wasn’t there a great looking kangaroo Indy recently?

These look very good!

Took a look at their website and found these:

IMG_0847_1800x1800.jpg

I love these. Tres Johnny Thunders, just add TV yellow LP DC Junior and Schott Perfecto....

Actually, Tricker's do offer Monkey Boots. They're not my personal preference, though... Don't really like the style

View attachment 517769

I'd love to try a pair of these. What I like about the Trickers (ModShoes are similar, if much more affordable) is the soles. I really don't care for either wedge soles, or Airwear style. These leather & rubber, 'dressier', versions are much more my bag. I suspect on some subconscious level the appeal is rooted in them being something of a midpoint between the trad brogues I favour now, and something closer to the sort of monkeyboots that would have matched well with my bondage trousers twenty odd years ago.

No worries buddy, I didn't take it that way :)

Personally I'm not a fan of monkey boots myself. I just mentioned then to illustrate my point that European dress shoe makers don't do American designs. I couldn't be more wrong lol. Turns out monkey boots originate from Eastern Europe, they're not an American style at all. Maybe I should stick to jacket reviews lol.

There was a great thread on here about them a year or two ago if you ever get the urge to find out more. The legend is that they started out as either WW2 or 1950s Czech army boots (the story varies, like all good legends), though it's not so clear. They were big in the UK with mods initially (Pete Townsend is a famous wearer), then later on the punks. Skinheads too, when they couldn't get or afford DMs (if you've ever seen This is England, the scene where Sean gets his first boots, the ones he objects to because they aren't DMs, but they are what his mother can afford, and the shop assistant insists they're "special ones, from London, that they don't put the label on" - those are the classic monkey boot you'd see in the UK). Last I saw of them, younger skater kids were buying them and carefully razoring off all the treads to create a low-profile, flexible sole. What I've never been able to pin down is where they cross over with US roofer boots. Different roots, but remarkably similar styles. I'd love a pair of the latter, but they seems not only expensive here, but almost impossible to find without overly chunky tread soles, or those white-rubber wedge soles for which I really do not care.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Love the cap toe brogue and elastic sides. You went with Dainite? Can't tell from the sides.
Thanks, they’re are lovely boot. I actually went with a lighter weight vibram gumlite sole which are softer, lighter, quieter and more comfortable than Danite. I’d never buy danite soles again, I find them hard, noisy when walking and downright dangerous on certain surfaces. I see Trickers now offer ridgeway soles also on certain models which are an improvement on danites also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21