Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

cbez

One Too Many
Bounty hunters in Maryam hb.
1000016583.jpg

Psant25

One Too Many
Had silvermans send more pics prior to shipping. They call it a 78tc but not a tc as it is plain toe. Gotta see how i like the more voluminous toe. I reached out to Libs at william lennon. She told me this leather is chrome tanned. The usual 78tc boots uses a veg tanned italian leather dyed through. This looks like pretty hearty leather. The dye pigment not so much already coming off. i plan to hit them with some mink oil to even out the finish and soften them some. Will update when they arrive.
IMG_1798.jpeg
IMG_1797.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1799.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
Happened to look at the heels of my Whites and noticed the rubber seems to be flaking. I've worn a lot of boots and I've never noticed this before. Something to worry about or just part of wear and tear? 20231212_172632.jpg 20231212_172646.jpg

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many
Happened to look at the heels of my Whites and noticed the rubber seems to be flaking. I've worn a lot of boots and I've never noticed this before. Something to worry about or just part of wear and tear? View attachment 569845 View attachment 569846
Looks more like something cut into that kinda strange to flake that way i think. I never saw that on my whites, nicks, franks, wescos, etc before. Interested to hear if others have seen this.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've had those before, they flake like croissant, you can peel it off like a thin layer sooner or later. I don't think it's a bootmaker problem. But a bad batch of rubber. The formation of these pieces takes heat, the first few and the last few knocking out of the mold usually gets thrown away. It's probably just bad luck and mis handling at the rubber factory. I think a new rubber heal will set you back about 40 to 50 bucks, prices has gone up. Toppies were 15-25 and now doubled.

Observe

One Too Many
I've had those before, they flake like croissant, you can peel it off like a thin layer sooner or later. I don't think it's a bootmaker problem. But a bad batch of rubber. The formation of these pieces takes heat, the first few and the last few knocking out of the mold usually gets thrown away. It's probably just bad luck and mis handling at the rubber factory. I think a new rubber heal will set you back about 40 to 50 bucks, prices has gone up. Toppies were 15-25 and now doubled.
I'll keep an eye on it and reach out to Bakers/Whites should it get any worse. I'm pretty confident they'll make it right if need be.

Psant25

One Too Many
Well i am very pleased for the price. I was expecting this super bulbous toe and just not as pronounced as in pics ive seen. Have another pair ordered but direct and 20 week lead style 78 toe cap in the B5 leather with rivets like the B5. Pretty fine sturdy leather lined boot here for like 300 bucks. Sole trim is nice and even all around i like that
IMG_1846.jpeg
IMG_1847.jpeg
IMG_1848.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Well i am very pleased for the price. I was expecting this super bulbous toe and just not as pronounced as in pics ive seen. Have another pair ordered but direct and 20 week lead style 78 toe cap in the B5 leather with rivets like the B5. Pretty fine sturdy leather lined boot here for like 300 bucks. Sole trim is nice and even all around i like that View attachment 570627 View attachment 570628 View attachment 570629

I have a pair of Lennons I bought about a decade ago. A very lucky find on eBay - someone bought then never wore them. Mine are the B5 ww1 boot, but in a smooth black leather. Lovely boot to wear, and if you prefer a less pronounced toe, you'll definitely like them.

These ones look great too!

I was working on putting the money aside for a pair of Aero Jarrow Marchers in cordovan as they were out of my size, but they won't for now be getting more in alas. Might see what Lennon have in that vein; I like the idea of a pair of the cap toe derby boots with a smooth toe and the grained leather over the vamp.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Some trivia on JL boots - quite a few other companies order boots from JL to their spec and resell them at higher price. Dundas is a good example:
https://dundasfootwear.com/pages/type01
Gimme the brown CXL ones...

To be fair, their leather option are WAY better than the Lennon „house“ leathers (the standard black leather is pretty awful to my eyes).

Another issue post Brexit is that Dundas offer reduced prices for EU customers to account for the additional VAT on import.

All in all, I tend to view Dundas as offering a better bang for the buck than Lennon. I always name them as being „Vibergs for half the price“ (EU import prices, that is).

Harris HTM

One Too Many
To be fair, their leather option are WAY better than the Lennon „house“ leathers
If you contact them you might be surprised, they have many more leathers in stock, including Badalassi and Horween (at least they did so in 2015 and 2016 when I got my 3 pairs from them)

(the standard black leather is pretty awful to my eyes).
Maybe I was really lucky but my black pair has amazing grain and texture.
20210928_181352.jpg
20210928_181407.jpg

All in all, I tend to view Dundas as offering a better bang for the buck than Lennon
Hmm, I don't know what their current prices are but I do remember that years ago the Dunda's were at least 30% more expensive.

Psant25

One Too Many
I ordered another custom pair of WL boots. this pair is going to be a modified ww2 ammo boot with the following specs: brown cxl leather, full lining, and commando lug 1/2 sole

Took inspiration from this boot pictured is an ammo boot in oxblood zug Leather

Attachments

• IMG_1867.png
    IMG_1867.png
    923.2 KB · Views: 42

TartuWolf

Practically Family
All these posts about WL boots are making me seriously consider giving them a shot. Seems like I'll be in the UK for a few days in 4-5 months. Could avoid import fees by picking them up locally.. And if they work with CXL and do custom configurations.. Tempting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925