Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
My rabbit hole is getting deeper (thanks to TFL!). It started with jackets (current count 8), and then I found this thread....:)
I started researching quality footwear and decided I like the simplicity and the slim profile of the Viberg Service Boot. Being a cheapskate I could not justify the $650 price tag. Long story short, I found a nice pair in my size in black CXL on the bay for $300. Very little apparent wear, some heel wear and slight creasing is all I can see. They fit very well - finally my jackets will have a quality match. I hope I won't follow 8 jackets with 8 pair of quality boots, lol. On pics with Gustin Heavy Slub jeans.

Viberg.JPG

Viberg1.JPG

Viberg 2.JPG

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My rabbit hole is getting deeper (thanks to TFL!). It started with jackets (current count 8), and then I found this thread....:)
I started researching quality footwear and decided I like the simplicity and the slim profile of the Viberg Service Boot. Being a cheapskate I could not justify the $650 price tag. Long story short, I found a nice pair in my size in black CXL on the bay for $300. Very little apparent wear, some heel wear and slight creasing is all I can see. They fit very well - finally my jackets will have a quality match. I hope I won't follow 8 jackets with 8 pair of quality boots, lol.

View attachment 251615

View attachment 251616
These are nice, congrats! You at least need a pair of brown boots as well. And suede? And maybe russet :p

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Breaking news: Bought my first pair of Engineer Boots. Never ever saw myself wearing them, but all that campaining from you guys (Yes, you know who you are!!) got the better of me.

I went for the "Mr Lou" from Wesco, firstly, because I could get them via Iron Heart (which means I have a completely worry-free customer service in terms of sizing-advice, order/delivery and possible return), secondly because the price seemes like a tolerable compromise for a road yet untraveled for me.

A perhaps silly question: Do you really use the adjustment straps, or do you treat them as merely ornamental? Of course I get the concept of adjusting the boots to the ankle/calf, but I don´t feel I really need it. I can slip the boots on/off just fine, and walking feels comfortable enough, not touching the adjusters either.

A perhaps silly question: Do you really use the adjustment straps, or do you treat them as merely ornamental? Of course I get the concept of adjusting the boots to the ankle/calf, but I don´t feel I really need it. I can slip the boots on/off just fine, and walking feels comfortable enough, not touching the adjusters either.

No, I never touched the strap. I don't think it has any purpose at all...

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
No, I never touched the strap. I don't think it has any purpose at all...

Thanks, Monitor. I gave it a go with the straps inititially and instantly knew this would seriously freak me out if I had to do it all the time. Just wanted to know if I am the odd one out...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Breaking news: Bought my first pair of Engineer Boots. Never ever saw myself wearing them, but all that campaining from you guys (Yes, you know who you are!!) got the better of me.

I went for the "Mr Lou" from Wesco, firstly, because I could get them via Iron Heart (which means I have a completely worry-free customer service in terms of sizing-advice, order/delivery and possible return), secondly because the price seemes like a tolerable compromise for a road yet untraveled for me.

Black or brown?

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Monitor. I gave it a go with the straps inititially and instantly knew this would seriously freak me out if I had to do it all the time. Just wanted to know if I am the odd one out...

I actually use the strap. Couldn’t put my foot in when the strap is set. It really does pull the upper in to create a more tight and comfortable feeling when walking. At least that’s my experience. If they are comfortable without adjusting the strap, congratulations!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I actually use the strap. Couldn’t put my foot in when the strap is set. It really does pull the upper in to create a more tight and comfortable feeling when walking. At least that’s my experience. If they are comfortable without adjusting the strap, congratulations!

I guess they are comfortable enough. This said, I seem to be blessed with pretty forgiving feet. Basically, I can walk around in skiing boots all day without too many problems. Looks odd, though...

Mich486

One Too Many
Well done on your first pair of engineers! Others will follow ;)

I use the ankle strap but not the top one. I could probably leave it on a more external hole and never undo it but I like a reasonably tight fit at the ankle.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I personally never touch the straps, but I know some guys who do... so it really does depend.
For some, engineers are extremely difficult to get on and off and for me they are my go to boots when I am in a rush because I just slip them on and off so easily.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Always strap. I have a low instep. They would be waaay to floppy for me without. VEB guy says he usually has to add a hole to his strap. I needed to for a pair of wesco. I remember a lounger was having trouble getting his Lofgren on and had to resort to the plastic bag trick. Straps undone i could kick mine off across the room. It’s all about foot volume V boot volume. Everyone different.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A perhaps silly question: Do you really use the adjustment straps, or do you treat them as merely ornamental?
I only adjust the ankle strap on my Mr. Lous because they are too tight for me to get on and off otherwise. All of my other engineer boots have a slightly looser fit and therefore I leave the straps alone.

Strange, I've never seen an Engineer where the strap would make any difference but then again, I just leave it as it is and it's always a bit loose on a new boot. I never imagined it actually would tighten it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points