Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Bad Hat Brothers Custom out of Seoul, South Korea. Really digging these joints.
B927935D-870C-4EB4-99DC-F93E73266D3F.jpeg

Attachments

• A337DA14-737E-4BAF-B4D2-9D474EFD9E43.jpeg
    A337DA14-737E-4BAF-B4D2-9D474EFD9E43.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 666

Pandemic

One Too Many
I’ve been a fan of RMW Chelsea boots for many years and have probably owned a dozen pairs. Mostly the dressier Craftsman for the office, but also Lachlan and Gardeners, etc for a more casual boot - food for travel and walking in the city. It’s nice to find a last that really fits your foot.

Anyway, I usually get them resoled as original but have been thinking about trying something different and maybe a little crazy: a thicker leather midsole and Vibram 705 with a stacked packer/western type heel.

BF89FDB9-7BA4-4313-BD37-523271489E53.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I’ve been a fan of RMW Chelsea boots for many years and have probably owned a dozen pairs. Mostly the dressier Craftsman for the office, but also Lachlan and Gardeners, etc for a more casual boot - food for travel and walking in the city. It’s nice to find a last that really fits your foot.

Anyway, I usually get them resoled as original but have been thinking about trying something different and maybe a little crazy: a thicker leather midsole and Vibram 705 with a stacked packer/western type heel.

View attachment 359997

Yes! Why not?!

Bukowski

New in Town

View attachment 359997
Yes so it I’ve been thinking same with my Gardner

moktabe

One of the Regulars

View attachment 359997

I'm a believer in changing soles to suit.

The Trickers Burford only comes with either Dainite or Leather soles. The brown ones have had commando soles fitted and the black ones will shortly follow suit.

Edward

Bartender
can you walk normally with double or triple leather outsole? can you squat in them? The first line I say when custom ordering is single layer outsole :D and then I will add that rubber pad and change the pad everytime it needs changing, so far I haven't resoled anything.

It would, I imagine, take a bit of getting used to if you habitually wear thin-soled sneakers like a Converse Chuck Taylor. I have a pair of Lennons with a triple sole that is definitely more solid (if not quite clog-territory!) than the likes of my Iron Rangers. A different feel, but by no means uncomfortable. I did blister in the Iron Rangers breaking them in, but that happens more often than not with new shoes I find, and has never been caused by the sole. Always, for me, on the heel, most commonly at the back, while the heelcup and boot top mould to the shape of my foot.

Actually, I find the boots with the sturdier sole-construction pretty eays to deal with: Thinking about say a Viberg 310, William Lennon or these Flame Pandas, the sole is pre-curved to allow the "natural" rolling of the feet. Walking is fine; squatting no problem.
E.G. all things RedWing or similar boots I find really comfortbale, whereas in Sneakers, I always have the feeling that my foots is basically unsupported . Guess I am lucky, because I don´t ever get blisters or sores, not even in skiing boots.

Once I break a boot in, never had a problem. I've moved completely away from sneakers in the last few years. Thinking about it, it must be.... fifteen? years since I last bought a new pair of sneakers. I think the last time I wore a pair was maybe 2008? Oh... I did pick up one pair of leopard print, canvas slip-ons that I wore a fair bit in warmer weather a few Summers ago, but otherwise, yeah, I've ditched sneakers entirely. I'm just much more comfortable in a decent, leather shoe. I last wore a sneaker in 2017 when I helped my parents move house and my dad insisted on putting me in a pair of his so as to save my leather shoes getting scuffed. I ansolutely hated the experience of wearing them. In theory, quality stuff - arch support, full coverage, "comfort sole" and all that, but I just... ew. Did not like. That's only the feel of them - that they were ugly as sin is neither here nor there!

Weight-wise, I've never had a problem with a heavy boot provided it fitted right. My first engineers were a loose fit and a bit of a hard wear until I snugged them up with some thick insoles, then I never noticed the weight again.

Nice day, nothing to do so figured I'd take some photos of my Frye's. Harness boots one could only wish for. @Edward , this is the pair I mentioned earlier. :D

20210904-161932.jpg

20210904-161946.jpg

20210904-161953.jpg

20210904-162002.jpg

20210904-162030.jpg

20210904-162042.jpg

20210904-162055.jpg

20210904-161906.jpg

Those are *very* nice indeed. Perfectly proportioned, too - esecially the toe (neither too pointy not too square) and the heel - not too high, not too tapered. Look a lot like the pair the put Eddie in in Rocky Horror (on stage) these last few years - mainly because they wanted something a bit more 'biker' than traditional cowboy boots, but when they tried engineer boots they realised very quickly the snugger fit of the western-harness boot is a heck of a lot easier for a performer to manage the stage choreography in! That's very much what I'm after in a reddy brown (first - inevitably, black will follow....).

Has anyone heard of the brand cydwoq?
Actually, the boots are not beautiful, but still I think they are kind of cool.
View attachment 359216 View attachment 359217 View attachment 359218

They look like they're aiming for the same territory as some of those other shoes that are designed to give more of a 'bare foot feel' with a light, thin sole. Not for me, though that last pair might be nice with a "real" sole.

Which yet again reminds me; Seriously, why ain't we talking about Kreosote boots here?

72929f_53e7a13644a6445294afb0e493cd1a35~mv2.jpg

Those look weirdly flammable... nice, though! Not a big fan of roughouts usually, but those do have an appeal.

I don't like boots with laces but for Kreosote's I'd make an exception. Never did handle a pair sadly, as with so many US made things, but from what I'm seeing (and reading online), can't see how I coulda end up disappointed. But they sure do cost a lot. Still, if there's one item of clothing worth the $, it's gotta be boots. More so than the leather jackets, I think.

You're right, this is a mean looking boot!

72929f_0ba8cb966870479f8776c752aa5866d2~mv2.jpg

That is extremely early 20th, pre-WW1 looking. I love the exaggerated heel cup!

This can’t be topped! Loool I sure had a good laugh!

View attachment 359231

Good for LARPers, I imagine, but a bit.... agricultural... for my tastes.

Schambach

Practically Family
Brand new pair of White's Bounty Hunters in brown dress and made with the slimmer 5050 last...trying to break them in at home as much as possible on my day off

YLri9SR.jpeg

Gorgeous. I was looking hard at brown or black dress for my most recent order, but ended up going with waxed flesh instead. I bet these will be absolutely amazing with some wear on them. Can I ask when you ordered? I put in my order in early June, and it looks like other orders from around that time are starting to get done…

Tark

New in Town
Hey, I actually ordered this pair during last year's Black Friday sale, and then both me and Baker Boots forgot about it until I asked for an update at the end of July (practical wait of 6 weeks). You might be looking at a longer wait, as my situation was special enough to skip the queue.

Schambach

Practically Family
Hey, I actually ordered this pair during last year's Black Friday sale, and then both me and Baker Boots forgot about it until I asked for an update at the end of July (practical wait of 6 weeks). You might be looking at a longer wait, as my situation was special enough to skip the queue.

Oh man! That’s a hell of a wait. I probably won’t bother the Baker boys for another month or so, but given your situation I won’t feel too bad for checking for an update.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
First day at the office after the vacation. Tricker's stow in snuff repello suede. The "lightweight" version (the thick midsole of the original Stow has been removed and though lighter than a traditional Stow still a heavy pair). Years back I was really hesitant with suede. It has become however one of my favourites (and by far the most comfortable). I'd place the Tricker's suede as my second favourite after Alden's snuff suede and quite better than the C&J offering.
I tried to capture the colour change due to light by turning the flash of my phone on and off.
20210909_130620.jpg
20210909_130721.jpg
20210909_130626.jpg
20210909_130640.jpg
20210909_130646.jpg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
These arrived today...excuse the bare leg but only have shorts on and wearing them in the house to break them in a little. The leather soles are like planks!
Good practice I suppose for when my jackets get here :)

Burford right?
I always try to break in new pairs with stiff leather soles by wearing them at home as well, preferably on a carpet. I always have lulu metal plates installed as, especially with stiff soles, they tend to wear off at this point.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Burford right?
I always try to break in new pairs with stiff leather soles by wearing them at home as well, preferably on a carpet. I always have lulu metal plates installed as, especially with stiff soles, they tend to wear off at this point.

They are yes, first pair with leather soles for a long time. They didn't have the Dainite in stock. Once my shoe man is back from his hols and gets some Commando soles in they'll be going on.

If I was planning on wearing them with a suit then the leather ones would be left on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ