Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

ojaw

A-List Customer
What lasts have you tried?. I’m a uk9 and find the 4497 and 2298 lasts true to size, the 4444 last can go down a 1/2 size for a good fit.
Actually I’m nowhere near a place that sells Trickers, but from what I’ve read their lasts don’t really include combo types that accommodate a wide forefoot and narrow heel.
I may be completely talking out of my ass on this point.

Damon141

Practically Family
Actually I’m nowhere near a place that sells Trickers, but from what I’ve read their lasts don’t really include combo types that accommodate a wide forefoot and narrow heel.
I may be completely talking out of my ass on this point.
I think you should be fine in normal boot size. Unless you have some crazy looking foot, just size 1/2 down from your normal sneaker size.

People take this boot sizing way too seriously, honestly if you just at what people were wearing on their feet for thousands of years it’s comical that people sell their boots for the slightest reason.
On the positive side it gives those of us that that will never pay the crazy $700 plus for boots a chance at huge discount.

After all the reading I was scared to order Vibergs but I just used Division Roads advice and went 1/2 size down from a normal US boot size for the 2030 series.

Next I might try one to find one of these Indonesian boot makers (if there are any left) that get crazy expensive due to the influencers.

ojaw

A-List Customer
I think you should be fine in normal boot size. Unless you have some crazy looking foot, just size 1/2 down from your normal sneaker size.

People take this boot sizing way too seriously, honestly if you just at what people were wearing on their feet for thousands of years it’s comical that people sell their boots for the slightest reason.
On the positive side it gives those of us that that will never pay the crazy $700 plus for boots a chance at huge discount.

After all the reading I was scared to order Vibergs but I just used Division Roads advice and went 1/2 size down from a normal US boot size for the 2030 series.

Next I might try one to find one of these Indonesian boot makers (if there are any left) that get crazy expensive due to the influencers.
Ha, I’ve sold off Vibergs and Whites ‘cause they were wrong for my feet, this after months of wear.

Damon141

Practically Family
IDK if you will have that problem with the Trickers, I’m a size 10us in boots and a 9uk in Trickers, Grenson, Fred Perry and I didn’t notice much difference in the fit except the Fred Perry has a fabric lining inside.
If it’s the bottom shape that is the problem then I have not met a pair of shoes or boots that can’t be corrected with a good insole, like a Birkenstock

ojaw

A-List Customer
IDK if you will have that problem with the Trickers, I’m a size 10us in boots and a 9uk in Trickers, Grenson, Fred Perry and I didn’t notice much difference in the fit except the Fred Perry has a fabric lining inside.
If it’s the bottom shape that is the problem then I have not met a pair of shoes or boots that can’t be corrected with a good insole, like a Birkenstock
So, 10a? 10b? 10eeee? From what I’ve read, the Trickers get correspondingly wider in the heel as they do up front, which would have me swimming in them. Regardless, I hope to make it over to the UK again and take the opportunity to try them on. Tips for a London or Bournemouth retailer with a good selection?

Spiney

One of the Regulars
So, 10a? 10b? 10eeee? From what I’ve read, the Trickers get correspondingly wider in the heel as they do up front, which would have me swimming in them. Regardless, I hope to make it over to the UK again and take the opportunity to try them on. Tips for a London or Bournemouth retailer with a good selection?
If in London go to Trickers directly. They have a store on Jermyn Street in the West End.

lopo

One of the Regulars
Alden Boots black Shell Cordovan with Vanson Ike black horsehide leather
F59: 3:VAN:ALDEN:K.jpg

F59 19:VAN:ALD:K.jpg

F59 26:VAN:ALD:K.jpg

Damon141

Practically Family
Trickers does sizing for width by numbers instead of letters, I think 5 being standard width similar to D in the USA.
I’m a 10D in US boots and a 9-5 in Trickers.

I’m pretty standard in sizing so I’m probably not the one to ask, there are guys on styleforum that are experts on this subject.
I’ve bought boots on sale from various brands that fit differently but it’s always been close enough to fix with a stick on Tongue pad, heel cushion, and various insoles which in combination can tighten up a boot that might be 1/2 size too large.

If you are going to go to London you can try them on but the then you miss the deals that pop up. I will not pay full price for boots when they go on sale all the time, it’s silly unless you just have the cash to burn. I’ve bought so many pairs of Alden and Allen Edmonds for nearly half off. Trickers are the same, if you are not particular about the color or model, then you can find one at a huge discount.

Try endclothing.com for British brand shoes, they always have killer deals

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damon is right about the width. 6 is the wide width but they only make width 6 for a few models, not all. The 3rd aspect to take into consideration is the last.
https://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/trickers-lasts-.php
If you are looking at their Country collection, the heels would be wider.
I wonder what is wrong with your White's and Viberg. Since they can be custom made, you may try to look for a last that may fit you and ask them if they can use that last to make the model you want. For example, Viberg made a limited production run of engineer boots on their chelsea boots last which is probably the narrowest last Viberg has.
Here is White's last guide-
https://whitesboots.com/last-guide/
Viberg's-
https://viberg.com/pages/last-guide
I have a pair of Viberg engineer boots in their 2005 last and they are wide because the last is normally in EE width as you can see in the guide.

Last edited:

ojaw

A-List Customer
Trickers does sizing for width by numbers instead of letters, I think 5 being standard width similar to D in the USA.
I’m a 10D in US boots and a 9-5 in Trickers.

I’m pretty standard in sizing so I’m probably not the one to ask, there are guys on styleforum that are experts on this subject.
I’ve bought boots on sale from various brands that fit differently but it’s always been close enough to fix with a stick on Tongue pad, heel cushion, and various insoles which in combination can tighten up a boot that might be 1/2 size too large.

If you are going to go to London you can try them on but the then you miss the deals that pop up. I will not pay full price for boots when they go on sale all the time, it’s silly unless you just have the cash to burn. I’ve bought so many pairs of Alden and Allen Edmonds for nearly half off. Trickers are the same, if you are not particular about the color or model, then you can find one at a huge discount.

Try endclothing.com for British brand shoes, they always have killer deals
That’s the thing, your foot shape is standard, mine is not.
Apparently there’s enough of us out there that Alden and a few others make a modified last (more extreme than Munson? don’t know).
Munson Last

ojaw

A-List Customer
Damon is right about the width. 6 is the wide width but they only make width 6 for a few models, not all. The 3rd aspect to take into consideration is the last.
I wonder what is wrong with your White's and Viberg. Since they can be custom made, you may try to look for a last that may fit you and ask them if they can use that last to make the model you want. For example, Viberg made a limited production run of engineer boots on their chelsea boots last which is probably the narrowest last Viberg has.
Viberg's-
I have a pair of Viberg engineer boots in their 2005 last and they are wide because the last is normally in EE width as you can see in the guide.
The Whites were made for me and fit fairly well, they were just too much boot for me, also incredibly jarring to walk in.

Damon141

Practically Family
Viberg's-
That width by numbers can be tricky for those who don’t know and even sellers because they be written 9-5 on the inside in marker and some can buy thinking they are a 9 1/2 UK.

@Blackadder know this is very subjective but from your Viberg to Whites experience, what number did you go up to from Viberg to Whites?

My 2030’s are a 9 1/2 and fit great, now I was eyeing a pair of Whites Steven or 350 Cruisers in 10d

I’ve been 10d in every USA boot Im thinking they should be ok

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That width by numbers can be tricky for those who don’t know and even sellers because they be written 9-5 on the inside in marker and some can buy thinking they are a 9 1/2 UK.

@Blackadder know this is very subjective but from your Viberg to Whites experience, what number did you go up to from Viberg to Whites?

My 2030’s are a 9 1/2 and fit great, now I was eyeing a pair of Whites Steven or 350 Cruisers in 10d

I’ve been 10d in every USA boot Im thinking they should be ok
My White's is in F width i.e. EEE width. The 2005 is about EE width so I went up half a size. Normally, I think people go up half a size from Viberg to White's since Viberg is in between US and UK size because e.g. for Nike US 9 = UK 8.5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider