Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Goel

A-List Customer
I was just thinking of using that leather since another one didn't pan out. I'm thinking of going through wesco for this because their last fits perfect, but I would have to forego the boondocker heel counter unless I want to pay the Mansway tax again.

lopo

One of the Regulars
25 years old
Red Wing 8151 with Levis LVC type III Valencia Street
F80:6 RW8151:LVC III:K.jpg

F80:11 RW8151:LVC III:K.jpg

F80:18 RW8151:LVC III:K.jpg

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
Anyone with experience with these?
https://www.oliberte.com/category/mens
I need a wedge sole, high heeled boots absolutely wreck my knees and these look afordable enough for me to take a stab at them. I won't ever spend more than a couple hundred bucks on footwear.
I don't have any experience with this brand but if you need a wedge in this price range, I would recommend Thorogood Boots.
Lots of color combos, sizes, made in the USA. They are immediately comfortable out of the box, very little break in.
They fall in the $200-$220 range with discount codes.

Damon141

Practically Family
I need a wedge sole, high heeled boots absolutely wreck my knees and these look afordable enough for me to take a stab at them. I won't ever spend more than a couple hundred bucks on footwear.
I’ve seen this brand online, not a major following because of the service boot trend but if you search their name including Reddit, multiple people report positive reviews and good customer service if you have any problems.

Read the story, they actually moved production from Africa to their home in Canada which I see as a positive thing. They use Vibram outsoles and USA tanned leather. @ $200 how can you go wrong?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I can’t get out of my own way. I’ve spent a good week looking at oxfords and service boots, chukkas…. I just can’t do it. They are almost always too narrow for my flat ass foot. At 49 years old I feel “compelled” to grow up. Buy some “real” footwear. Failed into a pair of brown suede Chuck 70’s. I think I am doomed to wear these shoes for eternity.
CD82EEAC-14B5-49FC-B68C-A4EB676C900C.jpeg

“Don’t you, step on my brown suede shoes…well you can do anything but stay off of my…ah to hell with it.

Last edited:

ojaw

A-List Customer
Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I can’t get out of my own way. I’ve spent a good week looking at oxfords and service boots, chukkas…. I just can’t do it. They are almost always too narrow for my flat ass foot. At 49 years old I feel “compelled” to grow up. Buy some “real” footwear. Failed into a pair of brown suede Chuck 70’s. I think I am doomed to wear these shoes for eternity.
View attachment 447812
“Don’t you, step on my brown suede shoes…well you can do anything but stay off of my…ah to hell with it.
Converse are too narrow for my forefoot, plus they stink quickly, are heavy, mostly glued…

Converse are too narrow for my forefoot, plus they stink quickly, are heavy, mostly glued…
I find them far more wide than say iron rangers. I tried two pair of redwings and quickly quit them. They do fall apart almost instantly and I agree they do stink!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 447812
These Converse All Star 70s are actually narrower than other Converse models. I usually need to size up half a size for these. Converse One Star or the ordinary Converse All Star would be wider.
Red Wing has the narrowest arch.

These Converse All Star 70s are actually narrower than other Converse models. I usually need to size up half a size for these. Converse One Star or the ordinary Converse All Star would be wider.
Red Wing has the narrowest arch.
Yeah the ox 70 is def narrower than the standard All-Star. I have about 8 pairs sitting around in various states of decay right now....One pair of cream white canvas ox 70's.

willyto

One Too Many
I find that quite strange. Footwear is way more important than outerwear. In fact your health is related to it.

If you wear the wrong size or not adequate footwear your feet will suffer as will your legs and back.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's true. Foot health directly impacts the knees then to the rest of the upper body. Developing good foot strength is often overlooked. I am guilty of this because I too tend to go for the cushier footwear (Vans) which from what I read actually weakens our human foot in the long run.
Double leather soles it is then. But maybe not every day.

I find that quite strange. Footwear is way more important than outerwear. In fact your health is related to it.

If you wear the wrong size or not adequate footwear your feet will suffer as will your legs and back.
I don't diagree...but I find high heel shoes are no good for your posture, hips, knees or back either. Any stepped sole ultimately puts pressure on all the wrong and weakest parts of your foot and up your legs (most particularly the knees as stepped heals force them to lock out).....I suspect orthopedic shoes are likely the best shoes you can wear, cost sub $200. Of course nobody wants to wear these:
1661882744279.png

1661882878950.png

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^It is a balancing act, that's for sure. I have between a "moderate" to "medium" arch as per the White's and Nicks brands, if I go full High arch (and resulting higher heel as well) it's a no-go. I am a more narrow foot as well. Nice thing with some of these ($$$) expensive brands is they will build to order. Foot lasts, often custom, are not charged extra with them.

For standard shoes to walk around Chicago in, or use at the gym I would stick to something more tennis or running shoe related. At least until the weather inevitably changes. My favorite these days are these:

1661895287142.png

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/explore/mens

I don't diagree...but I find high heel shoes are no good for your posture, hips, knees or back either. Any stepped sole ultimately puts pressure on all the wrong and weakest parts of your foot and up your legs (most particularly the knees as stepped heals force them to lock out).....I suspect orthopedic shoes are likely the best shoes you can wear, cost sub $200. Of course nobody wants to wear these:
View attachment 447905
View attachment 447915

Lol, well, might as well go all the way, then...

1920px-Vibram_FiveFingers_KSO_Trek_Brown.JPG

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 447812

I remember discovering Converse back in the 90s. Still made in the US then - before Nike bought them over and off-shored. I stopped buying them at that point, so I can't really comment on the quality. Mine were pretty good as I recall. Chucks; I also had Converse One Stars as I recall -(in)famously (at least in 1993...) the shoes Kurt Cobain was wearing when he shot himself. That corporate branding entered that most awful of last photos was an irony he'd have doubtless noted - I'm still surprised in a way it hasn't made its way into a Douglas Coupland novel.

I've spent this Summer in my first pair of trainers in well over a decade. Plain black slip-on Vans. Surprisingly comfy. (I normally hate trainers; had to borrow a pair of my dad's some years ago when he wouldn't give over about me ruining my "nice" shoes when I helped them move house. Horrid things. Like wearing carpet slippers everywhere.) Old school enough not to offend my aesthetics, though I'll be glad when the Summer hellheat passes and I can spend all my time in a pair of decent leather shoes again.

Those Converse are an absolute design classic, though. Great look.

Lol, well, might as well go all the way, then...

1920px-Vibram_FiveFingers_KSO_Trek_Brown.JPG

Despite not being much of a trainers man any longer, I've always rather enjoyed the concept of this sort of thing. If they could make a pair that's a bit less synthetic (more leather, less velcro, buckle or stud fastening....), I would give 'em a try for round the house. I'd have to buy toe socks, though. I don't like going sockless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ