Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Dug these out of the darkest corner of my cellar. “Jarrow Marcher” boot via Aero.

Often overlooked (by myself) for their lack of “panache” (others might say they are just perfectly understated), I was instantly re-impressed after putting them on. Very thick Horween Steerhide, sturdy yet utterly comfortable. Plus, they do look good, just not in a flashy way.

Aero don’t manufacture these themselves, of course, but have them handmade in Northampton, Englands shoemaking hotspot since forever.
I was shocked to learn that the current run will be the last. Retirement and loss of craftsmanship during lockdown are quoted as reasons.

People, pick up a pair, of you find your size. Prize speaks for itself, and you won’t be disappointed with the quality!

EA4CA650-B99E-4B15-8C4A-04F43A0574E8.jpeg
7655F059-FF37-46F9-9B2A-ABC158BAC66D.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
Transitioning to spring/summer wardrobe, I’m hunting for a pair of chocolate or at least medium brown suede desert/chukka boots that I could wear with a Harrington jacket. The catch: EEE width.

Franko13

New in Town
BF65F358-FEC6-4BDD-8FBD-6C44DFF2DAA1.jpeg

EF2E0981-25A7-4F39-8F24-DCED4CF44A05.jpeg

After a week of stomping around the house with my boots on I took my Viberg 1035 out into the wild. Love ‘em, got them off instagram and was a bit worried about fit but they’re super comfortable and solid at the same time! I’m a 10D and these are 9.5D. Probably could have gone down to a 9 (there’s plenty of length for that) but I prefer a bit of room. The color is grey but shifts from grey to brown to muddy green depending on light. My first pair of Vibergs and now I get the reputation.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Anybody has high top sneakers (trainers for you on the other side of the pond) made with a quality leather upper? I think they would go well with leather jackets. Something like this, maybe better:

Edward

Bartender
Dug these out of the darkest corner of my cellar. “Jarrow Marcher” boot via Aero.

Often overlooked (by myself) for their lack of “panache” (others might say they are just perfectly understated), I was instantly re-impressed after putting them on. Very thick Horween Steerhide, sturdy yet utterly comfortable. Plus, they do look good, just not in a flashy way.

Aero don’t manufacture these themselves, of course, but have them handmade in Northampton, Englands shoemaking hotspot since forever.
I was shocked to learn that the current run will be the last. Retirement and loss of craftsmanship during lockdown are quoted as reasons.

People, pick up a pair, of you find your size. Prize speaks for itself, and you won’t be disappointed with the quality!

View attachment 488660 View attachment 488661

Oh no! I'd missed that entirely. Gutted. I have more than enough black and brown boots, but a pair of these cordovan ones have been on my list for the last three or four years, and now they're out of my size. :'-( If only I'd known....

Hopefully they will find someone else can produce them. I remember Aero did a run of boots made by William Lennon before these. There will hopefully be somebody in Northampton can take them on again.

The Jarrow boots have a delightful simplicity to their design. Look great with everything from casual up to a lounge suit, in a pich. I do actually have a pair of the Town Boots in brown, which are also wonderful. A tiny touch 'fancier', but not so much as to make them look out of place with denim should the occasion call for it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

Edward

Bartender
Anybody has high top sneakers (trainers for you on the other side of the pond) made with a quality leather upper? I think they would go well with leather jackets. Something like this, maybe better:

[/URL][/URL]

A lot of the big names in UK shoes (Grenson and the likes) now do a sort of leather shoe-trainer. high and low. I don't much care for them myself; they strike me as rather neither fish now fowl, aesthetically. If I was minded to get a pair, I certainly wouldn't spend 'proper shoe' money on them unless guaranteed that I could have the sole replaced in time (the inherent disposability of trainers is another big reason I moved away from them. Other than a pair of slip-on vans I 'inherited' from the wife when she lost weight and went down a size, I haven't owned a pair of trainers in well over a decade now). About twenty years ago, II did buy a couple of pairs of Camper shoes, a Spanish brand (their factory is just outside Palma, Mallorca), like this:

1677084612391.png

I don't remember what happened to the black ones; I might have worn them til the soles went and then passed them on. I know I had a dark tan pair, just a shade or two lighter than these, that I wore on Holiday touring the Eastern side of China as my only shoes for two and a half weeks in 2008, after which I gave them to my Dad as I'd sort of moved on from trainers by that point. He still has them and they're still going strong (along with a black pair I bought him a few years before that). They've come up in price significantly since those days, though you can custom spec the leather and colours to special order now - https://www.camper.com/en_GB/men/shoes/pelotas/camper-pelotas-16002-282 Back when they did also do a high-top version of these, though those again fell serious into the neither fish now fowl territory, not really looking like trainers but definitely not passing for shoes. I did once get into a friend's birthday party in a place in West London that had a 'no trainers' rule with these, so I guess they passed for shoes at the time.

I see on the website they do do some men's boots - the Runner, the Brutus and the K21 models look the closest to what you're suggesting. All a bit modern for my tastes, but assuming nothing has changed qualitatively since I last handled a pair about eight or nine years ago, they're definitely a solid pair of footwear.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
A lot of the big names in UK shoes (Grenson and the likes) now do a sort of leather shoe-trainer. high and low. I don't much care for them myself; they strike me as rather neither fish now fowl, aesthetically. If I was minded to get a pair, I certainly wouldn't spend 'proper shoe' money on them unless guaranteed that I could have the sole replaced in time (the inherent disposability of trainers is another big reason I moved away from them. Other than a pair of slip-on vans I 'inherited' from the wife when she lost weight and went down a size, I haven't owned a pair of trainers in well over a decade now). About twenty years ago, II did buy a couple of pairs of Camper shoes, a Spanish brand (their factory is just outside Palma, Mallorca), like this:

View attachment 491700

I don't remember what happened to the black ones; I might have worn them til the soles went and then passed them on. I know I had a dark tan pair, just a shade or two lighter than these, that I wore on Holiday touring the Easter side of China as my only shoes for two and a half weeks in 2008, after which I gave them to my Dad as I'd sort of moved on from trainers by that point. He still has them and they're still going strong (along with a black pair I bought him a few years before that). They've come up in price significantly since those days, though you can custom spec the leather and colours to special order now - https://www.camper.com/en_GB/men/shoes/pelotas/camper-pelotas-16002-282 Back when they did also do a high-top version of these, though those again fell serious into the neither fish now fowl territory, not really looking like trainers but definitely not passing for shoes. I did once get into a friend's birthday party in a place in West London that had a 'no trainers' rule with these, so I guess they passed for shoes at the time.

I see on the website they do do some men's boots - the Runner, the Brutus and the K21 models look the closest to what you're suggesting. All a bit modern for my tastes, but assuming nothing has changed qualitatively since I last handled a pair about eight or nine years ago, they're definitely a solid pair of footwear.
I rather like these to go with more biker and cafe racer style jackets - esp with my more brightly coloured LL numbers - https://wunderteamshoes.com/collections/kicker

barnabus

One Too Many
I hate to admit it, because I know that the original has way more street-cred etc, but it was always this one for me:

View attachment 492531

and FFS @Monitor I just started having the balls to rock leather pants and now you have to raise the bar to "Dystopian-Retro-Australian-Road Enforcer"?

I think the original is now the Third Best Mad Max film. Controversial.

I hate to admit it, because I know that the original has way more street-cred etc, but it was always this one for me:

View attachment 492531

and FFS @Monitor I just started having the balls to rock leather pants and now you have to raise the bar to "Dystopian-Retro-Australian-Road Enforcer"?

I can't decide either; One day I prefer the first one & Road Warrior the next day. But that's a fun dilemma to have.

As for the "Dystopian-Retro-Australian-Road Enforcer", honestly, it just comes naturally, by itself, after the leather pants. There are no rules anymore.

But on a serious note, I started with jackets because of this movie and the Terminator 2 and I always loved the entire look but just didn't have the guts to pull it off before so now I might as well actually make my own Mad Max gear. :D

Edward

Bartender
You may know these from the best movie ever made.
1561552575451_GLV29JEAS.1-0.jpg

20230127-104547.jpg

Are those as rare as the jackets? Did a bit of reading around on this at a time (there is, even now it seems, a huge Mad Max cosplay scene), they were a very typical Australian take on the lancer front bike jacket at the time (with a few bits of armour added) that don't seem to have ever made it up to the top hemisphere.

View attachment 492531

The Road Warrior is, for me, where it started to go south. As a film, it's always much better than I remember it being, though I still wish they'd held back just a little on the "Future people dress like they're off to a 1980s fetish club" aesthetic - it felt too much of a jump for me. Convincing had it been set a generation or two on from the original film, but it just didn't feel the same 'world'. The weakest was by far III; I like the creepy kids bit in the second half, but Tina Turner just seems ridiculously out of place in the first half, and it really kills the believability in an Ed Sheeran Game of Thrones cameo way.

I think the original is now the Third Best Mad Max film. Controversial.

Behind Road Warrior and Fury Road? I liked the latter a lot - for me it was the first one that matched up to the standard of the first. Tom Hardy is an excellent choice in the role - and likely, these days, significantly more bankable, given he doesn't have Mel Gibson's, eh..... baggage. I hope we get more of him. Actually, I'd love to see a couple of prequels with Hardy - one, an effective remake of the original [they did reshoot some scenes from it as flashbacks for Hardy's film], and two, a story exploring events between the original and Road Warrior. There's a huge, narrative jump there in terms of the world building, and I never really felt they gave a proper sense of how things broke down completely between the two. Of course, Road Warrior wasn't directly a sequel as such (and in some territories was sold as a standalone, the original not having had the same circulation), which is part of that. I do like the notion that all the tales of Max the Road Warrior are legends, campfire stories being handed down in the oral tradition many years later. This also imo make it easier to have a little more freedom with details, and key players. If/When Hardy hangs up his road boots, Karl Urban would be a really interesting player to take it on. Especially if (as had been the original plan for Fury Road when Gibson was still attached to the lead role) they wanted to explore an older, broken Max (Hardy is only five years younger than Urban, but in a decade's time, Urban will be sixty. Not so old in our world, but in a Darwinian post-apocalyptica....).

Are those as rare as the jackets? Did a bit of reading around on this at a time (there is, even now it seems, a huge Mad Max cosplay scene), they were a very typical Australian take on the lancer front bike jacket at the time (with a few bits of armour added) that don't seem to have ever made it up to the top hemisphere.

Rarest. Similar looking models by Alpinestars do pop-up from time to time but never the exact same model that Goose wore in the film. I was very lucky to stumble upon a pair, especially in my size. Same pair got sold in Japan for like $4000 or something like that just last year. Crazy, I know but Mad Max cosplay scene is also super popular over there to this day.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to walk in these boots. They're made from leather that's 5 mm thick so you can imagine that wearing them feels like wearing plate armor. Or worse 'cause plate armor at least had joints. They don't bend. I guess they could become a bit less punishing on the feet after 2 years of constant wear but the ones that I got... Just no way. And I have tried.

Just strapping the damn thing down is a chore in itself & takes a good 10 minutes to get it right.

20230127-104740.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points