Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Ebay sellers, tips, tricks, questions, rants, raves

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Laughing Magpie said:
I ask US sellers to clearly mark the package as "Used" or "Second-hand" Clothing and not as a gift.

The one time I've been charged duty on a package marked this way I successfully challenged Canadian Customs and got the money back from them. So - I actually agree with Cobden, I don't think most Canadian Customs agents charge duty on Second-Hand goods from the States.

and:

reetpleat said:
I always write used. i never knew if it mattered or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Besides that, if the price seems low, used would explain it better.

The issue is not whether the item is used, it is about monetary value. Laws differ country-to-country, not all countries exempt items marked "used" from import taxes. Shipping a valuable package uninsured anywhere is stupid with a capital "S." Sellers are actually required by PayPal to insure packages over a certain dollar amount. So, depending on the local laws, it may not matter if a package is marked "used" or not.

reetpleat said:
I do not think this is a pay pal discount. It is an on line discount. If you go to the usps on line site, you can get the same discount.

Granted, I do like paypal, and like doing postage right from their site, but you can do postage on paypal exporting right from ebay, or on the usps site. I will always take money orders or checks or direct pick up. But if i were a pro doing a lot of small items, maybe not.

You're right, it's not a specific PayPal discount, it's a USPS online discount. However, PayPal makes it really easy to access, and streamlines the process to print shipping labels with the buyer's address, etc.

The incentives I was referring to have more to do with the way eBay and PayPal handle potential disputes/claims should they arise. By all accounts I've ever heard, if a seller uses the eBay/PayPal checkout process and the PayPal shipping labels, they have an easier time fighting fraudulent claims by sketchy buyers.

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Guttersnipe said:
and:

So, depending on the local laws, it may not matter if a package is marked "used" or not.

Agreed - and it does matter to Canada's Customs. Early in my eBay buying life I called and talked to a Customs Agent about it. Out of over 200 packages of vintage items sent to me from the States the one time I was charged duty I was able to challenge it based on the fact it was Used. Of course, this will vary from country to country - Italy, for instance, has extremely strict rules about clothing imports.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
UK customs duty rules

Just for information, the current UK customs duty and VAT rules are here.

Edit: I've just received a FedEx invoice for £22 for an item worth under £100. It was marked 'Used'. No point disputing this as the consignee takes responsibility...

It's great that you can dispute this in Canada. ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone else had problems with shipments to europe? I think some things were delayed due to the Volcano.

More specifically, i had a package end up missing or very delayed in France, and now another one has been severely delayed in same country.

I hear the French post office is bad.

Is this just coincidence, or are other people having problems in Europe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters