Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the smokers in the lounge

Travis

Suspended
I'm 24 and have been smoking since I was 12. I've thought about quitting a few times over the years, but I than realize that I just don't know what to do without it, and I enjoy the experience. I smoke Camel filters mostly, sometimes Kamel Reds. Every now and again I'll buy good ol' fashioned Lucky Strikes. I always keep my cigarettes in a stainless steel case and I use a Zippo lighter. Every now and than I'll smoke a good cigar and have been thinking about taking up the pipe lately just because it smells so good.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Similar situation. I'm 22, and have been smoking since age 15. I'm a Lucky Strikes fan myself (Silvers, because I'm trying to cut down), and I collect smoking memorablilia, a habit I picked up from a cousin (while staying in his house in London I was tempted to swipe a 60 year old box of Gitanes, but decided not too:D). I also collect vintage cigarette holders, cigarette cases and lighters. My plan for when I travel this summer: a different pack of cigarettes from each city, as well as scanning all the local flea markets for whatever smoking related goodies I can find.

Travis

Suspended
JazzBaby said:
My plan for when I travel this summer: a different pack of cigarettes from each city, as well as scanning all the local flea markets for whatever smoking related goodies I can find.

That's a good idea. You'll have to take pictures. I'd love to see what you find.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I have been a pipe smoker for a good long while. At one time, I owned over 300 briar pipes but have sold off most of them, retaining around 70. My pipes are Dunhill, GBD, Saiseni, Kaywoodie and a handfull of assorted pipes. Most are from before or just after WWII. I smoke primarily English blends, with a fairly strong Latakia element. I limit myself to just one bowl daily, after work and usually accompanied by a book and suitable adult beverage. It is really my relaxation routine after earning my daily bread.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
52Styleline said:
I have been a pipe smoker for a good long while. At one time, I owned over 300 briar pipes but have sold off most of them, retaining around 70. My pipes are Dunhill, GBD, Saiseni, Kaywoodie and a handfull of assorted pipes. Most are from before or just after WWII. I smoke primarily English blends, with a fairly strong Latakia element. I limit myself to just one bowl daily, after work and usually accompanied by a book and suitable adult beverage. It is really my relaxation routine after earning my daily bread.

I love pipes. They remind me of Picasso...:cool: Swoon!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Travis said:
That's a good idea. You'll have to take pictures. I'd love to see what you find.

Alterior motive at work here - cigarettes are incredibly cheap in most Eastern European countries, as opposed to the heartbreaking €7.10 [just over nine dollars] they cost here...:cry:

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Most of my friends who live in the States with family in Asia tend to buy their cigarettes duty free at the airports between destinations. They're just too expensive in the states, especially in New York.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mr. Rover said:
Most of my friends who live in States with family in Asia tend to buy their cigarettes duty free at the airports between destinations. They're just too expensive in the states, especially in New York.

That's very lucky. I bought some when I was on the way to New York last year [in the duty free], so I didn't have to buy any over there. Unfortunatly duty free on cigarettes and alcohol isn't available on inter-European flights so my annual trip to London is a waste!!! lol

Travis

Suspended
JazzBaby said:
Alterior motive at work here - cigarettes are incredibly cheap in most Eastern European countries, as opposed to the heartbreaking €7.10 [just over nine dollars] they cost here...:cry:

Wow, that IS expensive. At that price I'd definately stock up on your travels, and I'd probably buy my cigarettes the rest of the year online.

Mr. Rover said:
They're just too expensive in the states, especially in New York.

My uncle lives in NYC and smokes, but he travels frequently for his work, so he never buys cigarettes at NY prices.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Forgot to mention... I never carry a lighter because I'd much prefer to find some handsome fedora wearing gentleman to light my cigarette for me! ;) :p

Travis

Suspended
JazzBaby said:
Forgot to mention... I never carry a lighter because I'd much prefer to find some handsome fedora wearing gentleman to light my cigarette for me! ;) :p

Are you regularly surrounded by handsome fedora wearing gentlmen with lighters or do you go hours on end dying for a smoke with nothing to light it with?

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Travis said:
Are you regularly surrounded by handsome fedora wearing gentlmen with lighters or do you go hours on end dying for a smoke with nothing to light it with?

Unfortunatly I'm never surrounded by same, so one has to use a little imagination...:( lol

Kim_B

Practically Family
Travis said:

Eh, a girl can dream, can't she? :)

Travis

Suspended
To the pipe smokers out there

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for in a pipe for a first-timer or any suggestions on tobacco?

52Styleline

A-List Customer
That's a hard question because pipes are such personal things. Among more more moderately priced briars, those from Stanwell, Peterson, and Savinelli are pretty well thought of. Among the more expensive pipes, Dunhill, Ashton and Ferndown are my favorite British makes. If I were buying my first pipe, I would get a straight briar in the billiard or apple shape. They are classics and if you become a serious pipe smoker, you will never tire of having some of them around. Mr. Rover is absolutely correct in saying that cobs are a good starter pipe as well. They are cheap and give a good smoke.

Tobacco basically comes in two varities: Aromatics and English. A good beginner English type is Frog Morton or Frog Morton on the Town. As to Aromatics, it really depends on what you like. The casings (the additive that gives the tobacco its aroma and taste) are wide and varied. My favorite Aromatic comes from PipeWorks and Wilke in VT and is called Vt. Maple.

There is a website called Tobacco Reviews that gives a lot of information on the various blends available. You might also visit smokersforums.org and look around there. Lots of information for pipe smoking and lots of friendly experienced pipe smokers who are eager to help out new brothers (and sisters) of the briar.

Travis said:
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for in a pipe for a first-timer or any suggestions on tobacco?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff