Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the smokers in the lounge

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
As a former smoker that has wised up, I disdain smoking in general and as the song said,... "I curse Sir Walter Raleigh he was such a stupid git!"
But I must admit that pipe smoke does smell great. :) I suppose I could just burn it like incense in a censor.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I've been bitten by the pipe bug, recently. I had acquired a couple pipes, a tool, some cleaners and some 'backy in a trade over at Cigar Weekly a couple years ago. My buddy and I have started smoking pipes in the last month, and we're really enjoying ourselves.

I've heard that Stanwells and Petersons are excellent pipes, and even better than that when you see the prices.

That Tobacco Review site is outrageous in its scope and detail.

S

Samsa

Maj.Nick Danger said:
As a former smoker that has wised up, I disdain smoking in general and as the song said,... "I curse Sir Walter Raleigh he was such a stupid git!"
But I must admit that pipe smoke does smell great. :) I suppose I could just burn it like incense in a censor.

Is that where that line came from?? I had always wondered why Lennon felt the need to curse Sir Walter Raleigh....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I smoke a pipe occasionally and I always have a tin or two of tobacco around the place. Pipes and tobaccos are highly subjective things but I will never smoke out of anything but a briar, tobacco-wise I'm a fan of Three Nuns, Dunhill's Royal Yacht and a couple of the Danish MacBarens blends. Failing that the good old bog-standard Amphora Full Aroma's not a bad smoke when you can't get hold of anything else as it seems to be fairly easy to get your hands on in most places.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
JazzBaby said:
Similar situation. I'm 22, and have been smoking since age 15. I'm a Lucky Strikes fan myself (Silvers, because I'm trying to cut down), and I collect smoking memorablilia, a habit I picked up from a cousin (while staying in his house in London I was tempted to swipe a 60 year old box of Gitanes, but decided not too:D). I also collect vintage cigarette holders, cigarette cases and lighters. My plan for when I travel this summer: a different pack of cigarettes from each city, as well as scanning all the local flea markets for whatever smoking related goodies I can find.

Jazzbaby, thats a wonderful idea! I can't wait until I have the opportunity to travel.

I'm 25, smoked since 15. I started out with Canadian cigarettes - DuMauriers. Then I smoked JPS exclusively, and then Camel Turkish Golds. When I first moved back to NY, I began rolling my own using Drum tobacco. I have to agree that nothing beats a rolled cigarette, although it is hard for me to come by loose tobacco these days so now I smoke American Spirits, which are organic. Prior to that I was all about Parliaments, but only because of the recessed filter (I find them a little offensive to my nose, nowadays).

I have a vintage cigarette case, I suppose it is made of tin. It was a gift which was unfortunately engraved (with my nickname instead of my proper name) but I still use it. I'm constantly on the lookout for the perfect vintage cigarette case. I have a tendency to lose lighters as well, so I just buy red bics all the time or matches.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Ruby Slippers said:
Prior to that I was all about Parliaments, but only because of the recessed filter (I find them a little offensive to my nose, nowadays).

I know what you mean - during my heaviest smoking period I was on Marlboros (the red ones, not lights) and the smell of them was unbelievable.

Nightshade

New in Town
Ebay has some decent ciggarette cases. I'm currently seeking the perfect silver with rhinestone case. I really think that the ones with built in lighters are cool. They also have lighter and case sets. But my favorite place to find stuff are local auctions. I now have a vintage black and rhinestine ciggarette holder that I got for $3. I love it.

Travis

Suspended
JazzBaby said:
I know what you mean - during my heaviest smoking period I was on Marlboros (the red ones, not lights) and the smell of them was unbelievable.

There's something about Marlboros, the taste, the smell, everything, that makes me go yuck. I can't figure out why, you'd think tobacco is tobacco, but that is so not the case.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The really weird thing is that the worse a cigarette tastes, the more I smoke. My favorite now is the Nat Sherman MCD, and I've been able to cut down to less than a pack a day. I guess they're more satisfying so I can smoke fewer of them.

Lights? Fugeddaboutit. First time I tried Camel Ultra Lights years ago, I went through practically the whole pack over lunch.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I didn't read this whole thread, so if someone has already mentioned this please forgive me for being lazy.

They have discontinued the Filtered Lucky Strikes, my boyfriend is very disappointed. They are not yet impossile for him to find, so he bought a carton.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Girl Friday said:
I didn't read this whole thread, so if someone has already mentioned this please forgive me for being lazy.

They have discontinued the Filtered Lucky Strikes, my boyfriend is very disappointed. They are not yet impossile for him to find, so he bought a carton.

What do you mean...they just stopped making them? They're still available here, but I'm getting worried now...:(

Travis

Suspended
Girl Friday said:

They discontinued them? At some of the stores around town I will see Lucky Strike non-filters along with filtered Lucky Strike Lights but I don't really see the regular filters anymore. Maybe that's why.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
JazzBaby said:
What do you mean...they just stopped making them? They're still available here, but I'm getting worried now...:(
I think it is just in the states. I don't personally smoke Luckys, but apparently what is available in Europe has a different flavor (the Lucky Strike Filters)... so they are not the same. So you are safe... I am pretty sure.

They will still continue to make the un-filtered and the filterd lights but not the regular filtered. [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking forward to getting back to Norway where I can buy Camel Lights and Prince ciggies, both of which you can't get here. Here in NZ, it's either Marlboro Lights, Dunhill Blue or Drum Milde Shag roll your own tobacco for me.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Girl Friday said:
I think it is just in the states. I don't personally smoke Luckys, but apparently what is available in Europe has a different flavor (the Lucky Strike Filters)... so they are not the same. So you are safe... I am pretty sure.

They will still continue to make the un-filtered and the filterd lights but not the regular filtered. [huh]

Phew! I was scared there for a moment!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Smoking cigarettes for me is a very occasional thing. I'll buy a pack and smoke it (at the rate of one or two a day), then not buy another for a couple of months. When I do buy them, it's usually Nat Shermans MCDs, if I'm near a tobacco store, or Camel Turkish Silvers if 7-Eleven is the only option.

I smoke a pipe (a bent Peterson System) more often, about once or twice a week. I haven't yet settled down on a favorite pipe tobacco--there are just so many to try!

For cigars, I enjoy Hoyo de Monterey's Excaliburs, CAO Brazilias and some of Romeo y Julieta's Aniversario collection.

Barry

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
I smoke a pipe (a bent Peterson System) more often, about once or twice a week. I haven't yet settled down on a favorite pipe tobacco--there are just so many to try!

Have you tried any of the blends at Curtis Draper (600 block of 14th Street, NW)? Sir Francis is nice - it's a mild aromatic.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff