Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who ride motorcycles (or are thinking about riding).

jksu

Familiar Face
full face/flip up nolan n90 helmet. held agidar/steve/or rainstar gloves.

fox creek grayson with sas-tec armor and back protector is my favorite riding jacket by far. great temperature range. looks great, feels great. definitely protected.

also have textile jackets: an alpinestars verona air mesh for super hot days and a revit bronx winter jacket for super chilly or wet weather. but the foxcreek's the keeper. can always remove the armor and keep the jacket to just wear. have a dainese stripes for the euro-racer look too. not bad, decent leather with interesting suede panels, but not classic like the fox creek.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Stretchy Leathers?

do leather motorcycle jackets eventually stretch after wearing them enough times? if so, usually how much?

Short answer: not really.

They may stretch some around the outsides of your elbows and such, but not enough to notice. Bike gear is built from stouter hides (1.3mm or thicker) than fashion jackets. That also makes them less comfortable for kicking around in -- plus you'll look like an ape -- but it's the price you pay to cut down on the number of medical deductibles for which you'll be responsible.

Properly constructed leathers have features optimized more for ridin' than for stylin', such as precurved arms (and glove fingers), shoulders built for a forward reach, long jacket backs so they won't ride up when you're on the bike, and baggy walking knees that only look and feel right when your hind paws are on the pegs.

The old riders' maxim "you dress for the crash, not for the ride" is only half true -- but of the halves, that half is the important half.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
The USA really needs to implement tiered licensing for bikes like the UK.
My son and his friend just finished the first MSF course.
It's just a start to smart riding.

Do we really need more laws? I don't think so, sir. Perhaps we need more common sense, accountability for our actions and less mothering from the Government. More laws are rarely the answer, regardless of what the question is.

As far as riding gear, I recommend Fox Creek Leather without reservation. Absolutely the best made jacket I've ever owned.

IXL

One Too Many
Do we really need more laws? I don't think so, sir. Perhaps we need more common sense, accountability for our actions and less mothering from the Government. More laws are rarely the answer, regardless of what the question is.

As far as riding gear, I recommend Fox Creek Leather without reservation. Absolutely the best made jacket I've ever owned.

You'll have to excuse Butte, he comes from one of the more liberal states....:)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
It seems like every time you get on a bike you're making a million safety calculations a minute. I would never go without a helmet (of course CA has a helmet law) but I only wear a 1/2 or 3/4, not full-face. A lot of times I wear my Vanson Teton, which is armored and is more like wearing a hard top than a jacket. Other times I like the way it feels to have on just regular heavy leather like I used to wear before they even had armor. Riding is inherently dangerous, but I don't split lanes or ride like a crazy person. So on and on, but if I had to do my errands by car instead of bike I'd definitely have a less fun existence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner