Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Trade: 7 1/4 Borsalino Grand Luxe XXXXX (!)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Despite being by far the highest quality lid I own, this hat has never looked right on me, so I'd like to trade it. (My head is odd, and requires odd hats.)

It is a top-of-the-line Borsalino -- I assume that XXXXX means 100% beaver, or pretty close. It has a suede finished felt: the guy at Worth & Worth told me he would charge $800 to make a hat of similar quality today. I took it to W & W to have it blocked and stretched a bit: it's now a 7 1/4. He did a great job, although I think he could have taken a bit more care with the ribbon -- it's okay, but a perfectionist would want it re-sewn. He said it's from the forties (and he blocked it using a forties mold).

The hat has a lovely soft leather band; it does not have the liner pictured (I hate them, and removed it); it came rolled in the triangular Borso box shown (which I have in storage far away, so won't be including).

I'd like to trade it for another quality hat: willing to look at anything stylish: High-end Stetson, Dobbs, Knox, Borso, what have you. I need a full 7 1/4.

We would each pay shipping: I'm in Mexico, so it would come to maybe $20.

GrandLuxe.jpg

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Trying to message metropd

I got a message from Nicholas (metropd), but can't answer, because his mailbox is full. If you see this, Nicholas, might want to empty your mailbox. What I wrote to you is:

I just realized: I'm silly to turn down a hat I haven't even seen. Could you send me a picture? (I'm not a fan of long-hairs, but I've never owned a mink hat -- kind of exotic.)

The grey I have is pretty neutral, frankly -- perhaps a *touch* on the blueish side, but really just medium/light grey. Silver, I'd call it.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I'm open!

I'm really open to anything vintage. I tend to prefer taller crowns, with not much of a taper. I generally go with wider ribbons (although I could use a really nice variant of an Open Road). Basically, something stylish, of comparable quality felt... Preferably not too heavy, as it's pretty warm where I live.

I have about forty hats in my collection, so there's nothing I specifically need. I'm like most collectors: just looking for something novel and nice.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, let me see what I have that might prick -up your curiosity.
Any color in particular?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
hm...

I'll take quality over color any day. That said, perhaps dark grey? Or medium blue?

Frankly, any of the hats you wear in pictures here would probably make me happy.

We should take this to private messages...

Visigoth

A-List Customer
DEAL HAS BEEN DONE

Thanks for all the offers; I'm afraid the trade has been completed (for a lovely silver Borso Alessandria -- I was hoping for an Open Road type like this).

Btw, a lot of you guys have to empty your mailboxes -- I couldn't send PM's to a surprising number of people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925