Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ford Vs Ferrari ...

MikeKardec

One Too Many
... Or better titled, Ford vs. Ford.

A terrific film. There haven't been many "real" Hollywood movies made recently, films made for adult Americans. I've lived on the edge of the professional racing world my whole life, knew a lot of guys like the ones in this film as my elder mentors and heroes. My uncle drove for Shelby and raced the Hollywood Sport Cars' Tiger. As a child I went to the track with him and his curmudgeonly mechanic, Doane Spencer (Google "Doane Spencer Roadster"), and as an adult I got to spend a good deal of time hanging out with Dick Guldstrand (who raced and built most of the great 1960s Corvettes). It was wonderful to see this era and these characters brought back to life. The film is exciting, heart warming and, a time or two, brought a tear to my jaded eyes. Not only at the moments that you'd expect to be built in but also at the point when Henry Ford II viscerally confronts the car he has paid for so dearly.

The performances are great, the cars are beautiful and appropriately deadly, and unlike a lot of racing movies, it's really quite a good film. If Rush, another good racing film, marks the end of the "romantic era" of car racing, now we just need a few about the early days of the Mille Miglia, or The Brickyard.

Retired EE

New in Town
Unable to upload photos due to memory limitations, but I posted some photos of the 1966 LeMans race my dad took over at this website, this past April: https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/where-have-you-been.241124/page-7

One of the pictures shows the no.1 Ford GT, driven by Ken Miles, coming down the straightaway. I was a fortunate kid to have been able to attend this race. My dad gave me 30 color slides of the race. I had them digitized several years ago. I may get them done again since I've found a camera shop in our area that does an outstanding job of slide conversion. Last, looking forward to seeing the film tonight.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Great review... good to get a personal perspective. Most people are commenting on the film in the "last movie you've seen thread". You might want to post over there and link back here. More folks should read this.

Worf

Retired EE

New in Town
Great review... good to get a personal perspective. Most people are commenting on the film in the "last movie you've seen thread". You might want to post over there and link back here. More folks should read this.

Worf

Thank you... I have a lot more digitally converted photos of this race my dad took with his 35mm camera, but memory limitations of this website have made it impossible to upload them. They capture aspects of the race not shown in the film.

Retired EE

New in Town
Well... got one to upload of my mom, brothers, and I heading to the gate. I'm the big kid (8 years old) on the right.

935350000001-R1-E018.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ