Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
I almost want to conjecture that one of the myriad reasons no one wears black or white tie anymore is that everyone looks so awful in both.

Everyone looks awful in white tie these days? The photos below were taken at an event last night. You think this looks awful, Hap?

whitetie3_zps969532e9.jpg
whitetie2_zps3adcf20e.jpg

Last edited:

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I think I implied the "average", run-of-the-mill white tie ensemble. It is a shame how much effort goes into making it look correct. Way back when, you could walk into any department store and get it right.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, our friends do look fabulous in those shots. Not so fabulous are the tacky pink (or orange or green or whatever) paper wristbands people are required to wear at EVERYTHING nowadays.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hap and Dhermann, thank you kindly for your encouraging responses. I was beginning to wonder if this joint is The Apathy Lounge.:eusa_doh:
I judged the rig perfect but I considered the question rhetorical and feared stating the obvious. [huh]

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
Nor did I mean to mislead. I am a HUGE fan of formal done well, and that is a sparkling example. I am just absolutely maddened by the leaders of our country looking like junior prom cast-offs.

Cobden

Practically Family
Picture of myself and the Cobdenette last year at her college ball (which had a 1920s dress code that was also black tie. I think I was the only one to bridge this contradiction!). The dinner jacket is 1926 dated, stiff marcella shirt with detachable butterfly wing collar, backed white tie waistcoat waistcoat. Shirt studs and cufflinks are silver and lapis lazuli, and purple pocket square. I do apologise, I look a bit of a tit in the pic, but it shows the outfit nicely

Normally, I wear a double breasted 1940's dinner jacket and a turndown collar

381548_755400834673_1097334956_n.jpg

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
What's funny about that is that CharlieHuang showed us the super formal outfit he wore a while back that included I believe white tie, with black knee breeches and hose, with opera pumps. Don't recall what type of event it was for, but the knee breeches were NOT really like these plus fours.
It's a few pages up from this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy