Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Absolutely smashing outfit. :eusa_clap You would be welcome just about anywhere dressed like that. :eusa_clap

Thanks a lot Bugsy, great to hear that! :)

That is a beautiful hat, and appears to be "real" and in good condition. Where is it from?

I fount it from a second hand shop, it is a "real" one made out of silk, see more pics here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?36577-Toppers-Unite&p=1503439&viewfull=1#post1503439

Great ensemble but the royal ascot has a new rule that fordids to wear ascots. :eusa_doh:

See here

I was kinda hoping no one would mention that but we can always hope for 2013. Did they change the rules because of too many improperly tied cravats/ascots? Also I don't think that there would be too many there with an detachable collar, even fewer with a walking stick. Would be nice to see different collars on those in the royal enclosure...

Edit: Seems like this thread has issues with the number of pages, it shows 143 is the last page but this (142) is the furthest I can go.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Earlier this year I found a mint condition 1932 dated three piece French dinner suit. The gent it was made for was my height/build but more rotund so it had to be taken in. I had a formal Christmas party to do to last night so it finally gave me the excuse to wear the whole black tie rig.

405095617.jpg

I like the 1930s style better than my late 1950s Bond/Dino dinner suit I have already.

379084178.jpg

Last edited:

Luxire

Vendor
Luxire Tuxedo Shirt
Pique_ensemble_grande.png

Luxire dresses you up for the special occasion in style, custom made to perfection.

Detachable_wingtip_collar_grande.png

Detachable Wing-tip collar made of rich Marcella and fused on both sides

Pique_Square_French_cuffs_grande.png

Piqué faced French Cuff
Pique_collar_shirt_grande.png

Collars made to your requirements be it size, shape, spread, firmness, tie-space, height or anything else you can think of

angled_cuff_cufflink_grande.png

If the occasion demands something special...

Cyclone_cufflink_grande.png

...Or something unique...

Pinholes_belt-loop_grande.png

Tuxedo's incomplete without a belt loop. Choose your style, pin-holes....

bib-buttonholes_grande.png

....Or Button-holes, designed to keep the pin perfectly in place

Vest_strap_loop_grande.png

Important details like vest strap loop....

Side_vent_opening_grande.png

.....and side vents for easy fastening are standard.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Earlier this year I found a mint condition 1932 dated three piece French dinner suit. The gent it was made for was my height/build but more rotund so it had to be taken in. I had a formal Christmas party to do to last night so it finally gave me the excuse to wear the whole black tie rig.

405095617.jpg

I like the 1930s style better than my late 1950s Bond/Dino dinner suit I have already.

379084178.jpg

Absolutely, the 1930s suit looks amazing. Please post some more pics (details, close ups etc). I'm the reverse, I have both a 1930s and a 1950s dinner suit. The 1950s one looks much better than the 1930s one. I think it's the heavier construction of a British 1950s dinner suit compared to a Californian 1930s one.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Some time back I found unusually "tropical"style tails, for finnish climate I mean. I was looking for dress pants for my Palm Beach DJ and when I found these I sure was happy. Stripe was single plain stripe and so I could use those. That particular shop was quite dim lighted and I was so joyed my find as tropical stuff are not found here. I forgot little details and bought and bagged them. ten dollar find :)

Now my question is, can midnight blue trousers be worn with white jacket :D you can imagine my suprise while I unbagged my find under proper light.

Whitetieblue1.jpg

whitetieblue2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
If it is a true midnight blue it should appear almost black (as it did when you were in the shop). Therefore, it should be good enough for the purists. I would ask one question: Does it look good? If it looks good, wear it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Brown dinner suit?

Don't do it - I speak from experience. I used to own one - it was in a shiny brown fabric, very heavy, might have been mohair (I can't really remember - it was 30+ years ago). I thought 'Cool 1950s suit! Surely everyone (i.e. the girls) will be impressed by this.'
All I remember is people at school laughing at me.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only one guesss? Ok, it's 1929. And I always thought this was the prime time for peak lapels!

Here is the full page:
tumblr_mgvuzfeFl61rtpes1o1_500.jpg

And here is another from the same year. Showing different formal wear outfits and accesoires.
gesellschaftsanzug1929s.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great scans Flo, thank you for posting!

We had our annual diplomatic ball at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel last night and a good friend of mine wanted to break out the white tie and tails so we did:

405603659.jpg

Mine is an American midnight bluetail coat and trousers that are 1950s vintage; vintage British marcella waistcoats on both of us, my vintage 1913 Dunlop high silk topper, vintage swank and Krementz stud and cufflink sets on us, my late 19th century Hamilton pocket watch, and the shirts, collars and ties are from Darcy clothing. Actually my collar was from Luke Eyres I think...
405603664.jpg

405603668.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OT. Ah, the Royal Hawaiian! When I was stationed in Hawaii, I lived in a little apartment on Seaside, just up the way from there. Never went inside, but what a magnificent place it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy