Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Too many sub-forums can spread a site thin and make the forum difficult to approach -- people stick to one area and don't venture out as much so there isn't as good of an information transfer -- however, two more forums I feel we are in desperate need of are 'Formalwear/Morningwear', and 'Footwear'... It would clear out the G.A.&A. and allow for more open discussion in the formalwear department.

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
The "Formal Wear Primer" thread has grown way past the point of being merely a primer. It is now a full forum for discussion of all the many nuances of mens formal wear in general. And boy are there a lot of nuances. I think it's time for Formal Wear to have its own forum, with separate threads on White Tie, Black Tie and Morning wear. Any thoughts?

Absolutely. The current thread makes for a very impractical resource.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Agreed. This thread contains a wealth of information, but it's difficult to search/sort through. A new Formalwear Forum would make all of that information much more accessible.

Rathdown

Practically Family
In total agreement. To find anything now one feels much as Stanley must have felt when searching for Livingston (or was he searching for Ollie?).

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I recently finished these formal striped trousers.

SAM_2082.jpg

SAM_2084.jpg

With a stroller
SAM_2081.jpg

SAM_2087.jpg

J.D. Hunt

New in Town
Shindeco, two of us are now looking for waistcoats. The type you have in your photos are the correct cut, but we need them in full backs. would you have any advice for us? J.D. Hunt

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Shindeco, two of us are now looking for waistcoats. The type you have in your photos are the correct cut, but we need them in full backs. would you have any advice for us? J.D. Hunt

I couldn't find the original reference to this question and thus probably shouldn't reply, but fools rushing in, and given the thread topic, perhaps this link will be helpful?

http://shop.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/collections/waistcoats?page=2

If it is, and if you are wearing a wing collar, you will also want to get one of their sized bow ties. Eliminates the silly-looking hooks and buckles of the adjustable ones. Not necessary if you wear a fold-down collar, of course.

Trog

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It's not a hybrid, it's just an earlier style of morning dress. The trim used to be a relatively common sight, but is rarely seen now. Prince Charles still wears it on occassion. Wing collar with a bowtie also was not unheard of.

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
It is also possible, but I believe it is a form of evening dress. First, the man in the picture is Landon Ronald, an English counductor, so he was more likely to pictured wearing evening dress. Second, the picture is from 1913, when, I think, black trousers and neckwear were not worn outside of mourning during the day. Third, the waistcoat seems to be low-cut and low-cut waistcoats are generally worn only with evening dress. Thank you for your interest, however. ;)

Best regards, Dr

Rathdown

Practically Family
I would not base my dress sense on a 100-year old caricature of a now-deceased musician. Others, however, may take a more flippant approach to evening attire.

MarkIsTheCleaner

New in Town
For full dress, lawn is or rather was the standard for the bow tie. Cambric is acceptable and in the US piqué was used. Though, I hear nowadays that satin and silk ties are acceptable. For undress, that is my dinner jacket, I wear a silk tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner