Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formulae for hat proportions

I don't know about trusting my wife. She said this hat wasn't a good fit for our annual Nutcracker ballet outing. Clearly she doesn't know a great ballet hat when she sees one!

f32f9af7309bd2f973382541622fb2a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can hide the sandwiches under that one. Maybe even a beer or two.:cool:

I think this is emblematic of how society now works: we look for a formula or some set of rules rather than put in the personal effort to figure things out for yourself. The look of the golden age was not the product of algorithms or formulas. Style is supposed to be personal and even intimate.

There is an old adage about training your eye and then trusting your eye. I don't mean to belittle those who look for a formulas or helps as shortcuts, I do it myself with somethings, but there is something to be said for trial and error and figuring your style out for yourself.

Right on. My tongue-in-cheek point to the "golden ratio" is only as a reference point, and doesn't even always hold true. It can provide some small level of confidence to start off the newby, maybe? Your point is perfect (and important) to follow up though, Deadly. You are right, sir!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If you have an actual hat store near you, go there and try on hats. You may not find exactly what you want, but you'll sure get a pretty good idea what works for you, in your own eye.

When you start buying hats (or even your first), people may like it (them) or they may not. Some people may tell you they like a hat even of they don't like it or are indifferent about it. Some people may like stuff that you don't. (Don't even listen to people who are completely biased against hats - they won't like anything.) It works all different ways. That's why you have to start with what appeals to you, and what you're comfortable with perched atop your noodle. And nothing helps that quest better than a real brick-n-mortar where you can try on the goods.

And remember, your tastes will most likely change, even if just a little, over time.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
100%. Hat "rules" and "formulas" are for the kind of people who buy their clothes at Old Navy simply because they have no individual sense of style and shop there so they will look like their friends and "fit in". If you like a hat and it fits comfortably, wear it and forget about what anyone else thinks.
Really true. We seem to be living in an age of extreme conformity masquerading as extreme individualism. If you really do dress in a self-expressive way and hold your own opinions you're reminded of your oddity, in one way or another, every day. The herd rules, and they don't know why they dress the way they do or think the way they do. Ask someone for an opinion and you'll get a cliche: point it out and they're lost. I live in Miami and get asked all the time why I wear a hat. I point at the sun. Am I crazy or is everyone else? My mom used to ask,"If everyone else jumps off the Brooklyn Bridge, are you going to do it too?" No, Mom.

I, for one, do not see an algorithm doing a very good job at this. Aesthetics are so subjective to begin with. I hate how most "fashionable" clothing looks so without some universally accepted goal I don't see how you could come up with a construct that works. Additionally, the variables are so many that it would take way too much work for a dubious return on the investment. Style doesn't actually have "rules" and many of us enjoy breaking what are considered rules. I can't help but to think of Michael A and I'm positive that no program would chose his outfits but he has a great style and the verve to pull it off.

Look at how many people love/hate the stingy brim for just one data point. Some people choose the brim width to compliment their "shape" but most just like it because they do. And some people like both wide and stingy brims (me).

I don't like three button suits, notched lapels on dinner jackets, or clip on suspenders and my preferences are unique to me and a one-size-fits-all algorithm would be of no worth. I think some things are best left to the individual and their personal taste.
I disagree, clip on suspenders are Always an affront to good taste unless they are worn by Red Green and used in the woodshop.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Agreed with Anthony. A mirror is the best formula. Add to that, the shape of the crown, its height, and the kind of crease that's put into the crown, or even the style of a hat. Also take into consideration the crown to brim ratio, is the crown proportionate with the brim width. Not everybody can pull off the same style of hat. Some can pull off Homburgs and Derbies far better than others, while some are suited to Westerns or Indy style hats better than others. So to say again, as Anthony mentioned, a mirror is the best judge. Unfortunately, though, when you're buying a hat online you just don't have the luxury of trying one on and looking in a mirror before you buy one.

Really true. We seem to be living in an age of extreme conformity masquerading as extreme individualism. If you really do dress in a self-expressive way and hold your own opinions you're reminded of your oddity, in one way or another, every day...
I agree. Brimmed hats of all styles have experienced a bit of a comeback in recent years, but I think it still holds true that you'll stand out if you wear anything on your head that isn't a ball cap. I don't think there's anything wrong with ball caps, but if they're not your thing and you're going to be "different" anyway, why not wear something you like?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Agreed with Anthony. A mirror is the best formula. Add to that, the shape of the crown, its height, and the kind of crease that's put into the crown, or even the style of a hat. Also take into consideration the crown to brim ratio, is the crown proportionate with the brim width. Not everybody can pull off the same style of hat. Some can pull off Homburgs and Derbies far better than others, while some are suited to Westerns or Indy style hats better than others. So to say again, as Anthony mentioned, a mirror is the best judge. Unfortunately, though, when you're buying a hat online you just don't have the luxury of trying one on and looking in a mirror before you buy one.

I agree with this mostly. Here's why.

In the mirror, we get a different, and more limited, view of ourselves than in say, a photograph. I've looked at myself in the mirror with all my hats on at different points, mainly before I leave the house in the morning, but it wasn't until I started seeing my hatted self in photographs, and posting in the 'What Hat Are You Wearing Today?' thread that I noticed things about my hats on my head that I hadn't noticed previously in the mirror, mainly, I think because we can see only just so much in the mirror. Turn too far left or right or up or down, and we lose the line of sight.

That's one of the wonderful advantages of the digital visual medium - we can take pictures of ourselves, or better yet, have someone else do it from further away to avoid distortion, so we can see how we look (hats or no) from any angle.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I agree with this mostly. Here's why.

In the mirror, we get a different, and more limited, view of ourselves than in say, a photograph. I've looked at myself in the mirror with all my hats on at different points, mainly before I leave the house in the morning, but it wasn't until I started seeing my hatted self in photographs, and posting in the 'What Hat Are You Wearing Today?' thread that I noticed things about my hats on my head that I hadn't noticed previously in the mirror, mainly, I think because we can see only just so much in the mirror. Turn too far left or right or up or down, and we lose the line of sight.

That's one of the wonderful advantages of the digital visual medium - we can take pictures of ourselves, or better yet, have someone else do it from further away to avoid distortion, so we can see how we look (hats or no) from any angle.

I probably should have mentioned the second mirror. When I'm working on hats I also use a hand held mirror when I'm standing in front of a full length mirror. With my reflection from one mirror into the other I can catch every angle that I can't normally see without the second mirror, both sides, the back...this helps me when I need to make tweaks and adjustments to the hat I'm working on.

Just a small demonstration in a bathroom mirror....but you get the gist. I can get any angle I want this way. (The hat is a Resistol Stagecoach that I converted)...
Mirror_Mirror_3.jpg

A mirror and a straight edge also works great for centering a pinch. Works every time. Easy Peasy. (This pic was taken a few years ago. This one is a Knox 15).
Centering_the_Pinch.jpg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I probably should have mentioned the second mirror. When I'm working on hats I also use a hand held mirror when I'm standing in front of a full length mirror. With my reflection from one mirror into the other I can catch every angle that I can't normally see without the second mirror, both sides, the back...this helps me when I need to make tweaks and adjustments to the hat I'm working on.

Just a small demonstration in a bathroom mirror....but you get the gist. I can get any angle I want this way. (The hat is a Resistol Stagecoach that I converted)...
Mirror_Mirror_3.jpg

A mirror and a straight edge also works great for centering a pinch. Works every time. Easy Peasy. (This pic was taken a few years ago. This one is a Knox 15).
Centering_the_Pinch.jpg

Yes, I have a handheld in the bathroom, used to see all the angles, for buzz cuts, and hat adjustments when I'm working on one. :)

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Ratios...

I've found quite a few good looking hats in smaller sizes... unfortunately I wear 7 5/8... a 3" brim on a size 7 is also a 3" brim on a 7 5/8... and it does 'throw' the look off a bit. When I find a hat style that I like... when I have one made by a hatter, I adjust the size of the brim accordingly in order to try to keep that perspective.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone...

~Shoes~

Ratios...

I've found quite a few good looking hats in smaller sizes... unfortunately I wear 7 5/8... a 3" brim on a size 7 is also a 3" brim on a 7 5/8... and it does 'throw' the look off a bit. When I find a hat style that I like... when I have one made by a hatter, I adjust the size of the brim accordingly in order to try to keep that perspective.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone...

~Shoes~

In a shameless plug, have you looked at my 7 5/8 hats here in the classifieds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart