Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forrest J Ackerman

Indyfan

New in Town
RIP Forrey. I'm from the monster generation and didn't discover Famous Monsters till 1976 when I was on a King Kong kick. The movie was coming out and a cover with kong just jumped out at me on the local newstand.

Feraud

Bartender
Forry's collection is going on the auction block..
The man credited with coining the term "sci-fi" passed away in December. Science fiction writer and literary agent Forrest Ackerman spent much of his 92 years collecting science-fiction and horror novels, posters, costumes and film props. His collection is up for auction this spring. Items include a signed, first-edition copy of Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein. Also, the ring that actor Bela Lugosi wore in the 1931 horror classic Dracula.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100272806&ft=1&f=1006

Effingham

A-List Customer
I loved Forry. He was a true gentleman, and a very nice man. Always had time to sit and talk at the conventions.

I still miss you, Forry. I always will.

Thanks for everything.

Late to the event (as usual), but I just discovered this thread.

I was fortunate to have met and spoken with "Uncle Forrey" on a number of occasions. A friend and I encountered him at a number of special movie screenings, conventions, and such, in the Los Angelea area; this happened so often that eventually he would recognize and approach us to say "Hello". After the usual pleasantries the conversation would always turn to movies, and he would light up like a child at Christmas; regardless of genre or era, he could talk about movies endlessly and with a near-encyclopedic knowledge. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met, and I still miss seeing him at those events.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Yup.

For fans who met Forry, his death was a serious loss. For fans who never met him, it was doubly so -- as they were never able to know just what they had lost the chance for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21