Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found A-2 while vintage shopping NYC

Feraud

Bartender
I am not going to debate your perception of the tone at the Lounge.

Let me reiterate and expand upon my earlier post and say the comments posted by Baron Kurtz were in no way passive aggressive, immature, smarmy, etc. Baron Kurtz is a longtime member with a great wealth of experience and expertise on matters of vintage garments. He was freely sharing his hard earned opinion, which was asked for in your original thread, based on the information you provided.

If by "education" you mean to never hear a negative comment about a topic then we will agree to disagree. I cannot see anything educational about wanting to hear a stream of positive comments if information to the contrary is staring one right in the face.

Last edited:
Aren't you the one on VLJ that was making a big deal over PLATON selling his jacket and you thought he was making some huge profit off of it? You were. Turns out you were wrong and sounded pretty "smarmy" to me. Nobody here was being negative. You asked, they answered. Pretty simple. Also, the title of the thread makes it sound like you got this thing cheap in a little hidden store. Doesn't seem too rude to ask if you got a great deal, money-wise.

gruvi

Familiar Face
Aren't you the one on VLJ that was making a big deal over PLATON selling his jacket and you thought he was making some huge profit off of it? You were. Turns out you were wrong and sounded pretty "smarmy" to me. Nobody here was being negative. You asked, they answered. Pretty simple. Also, the title of the thread makes it sound like you got this thing cheap in a little hidden store. Doesn't seem too rude to ask if you got a great deal, money-wise.
What?!
You have got the wrong person. Please feel free to PM me the post from another forum, on that forum, and we can go from there.

gruvi

Familiar Face
Okay, to clear the accusation...I just read through all 8 pages of every post I made on that other forum and no where do I see me writing anything even remotely close to what you are accusing me of. This is lame!

You countered his post with the prIce he paid, insinuating he was trying to profit. Look harder.This thread was fine until you made it a battle. Look inward.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Baron Kurtz was trying to be helpful. He guessed wrong. Okay.

So never mind what you paid for it, where did you get it? I haven't been able to find a store in NYC with such interesting leather jackets.

gruvi

Familiar Face
You countered his post with the prIce he paid, insinuating he was trying to profit. Look harder.This thread was fine until you made it a battle. Look inward.
Wow, you know what? I was genuine and real when I complimented your kid. I sent you a birthday well wish on the other forum, and I spoke up in your defense when you were already admonished by a bartender here when that one guy kept digging up old posts about the B3 or whatever jacket that was about. Now you come in this thread and pick nits just to be a usurper, to take the conversation here and bend it aside a statement where all I wrote was "Jacket sold at £500 last time". Are you serious? I learned that keeping quiet is better, and I will do that now. Enjoy life :)

You want everyone to post how you want them to. People here were offering help. Jeez. I always like your posts. Just settle down. Asking for opinions means you'll get them.
Don't chastise when they don't match your expectations.
Everyone is trying to learn here.

Okay, to clear the accusation...I just read through all 8 pages of every post I made on that other forum and no where do I see me writing anything even remotely close to what you are accusing me of. This is lame!

From my perspective..many of your posts on the VLJ seem to be asking for advice then you most always end up ignoring any suggestions or observations completely. Reading those posts led me to wonder just why you asked for any help/opinion in the first place. Members are always willing to give suggestions especially if asked. You are not required to take all of their opinions as gospel...but they certainly may offer up some things worth considering and looking more closely at. If you are truely concerned about a decent example of an original A2...and don't want to ruin it or degrade it further..you might refrain from attacking those giving advice..even if you may not agree with a specific judgement.
HD

gruvi

Familiar Face
HD, respectfully, I was merely pointing out why the necessity of passive aggresive replies. Im done on this subject and moving past it. I want to stick to topic of the jacket, but I am learning it cant all be compounded from making one thread. And thanks for your open and honest observation.
From my perspective..many of your posts on the VLJ seem to be asking for advice then you most always end up ignoring any suggestions or observations completely. Reading those posts led me to wonder just why you asked for any help/opinion in the first place. Members are always willing to give suggestions especially if asked. You are not required to take all of their opinions as gospel...but they certainly may offer up some things worth considering and looking more closely at. If you are truely concerned about a decent example of an original A2...and don't want to ruin it or degrade it further..you might refrain from attacking those giving advice..even if you may not agree with a specific judgement.
HD

gruvi

Familiar Face
You want everyone to post how you want them to. People here were offering help. Jeez. I always like your posts. Just settle down. Asking for opinions means you'll get them.
Don't chastise when they don't match your expectations.
Everyone is trying to learn here.
If you accept my honest, objective view, you really did describe your posting behaviors as well. But I see where you are coming from.

This is just silly, mate. I'm more glad than probably anyone here that issued A2s can still be found in vintage shops. You ask if you should Pecard the jacket then whine when someone points out why that might be a vain effort, based on your own comments on the condition of the leather (I own an issued Spiewak A2 that suffers from red rot, so I know what I'm talking about). I wrote nothing different to what I would say to you face-to-face. If the jacket didn't fit you, I would be equally straight-up. You've taken a friendly thread and made it aggressive, not passive-aggressive. Possibly in an extension of your snipes at Andrew Swatland's Cooper jacket yesterday? http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?62255-Original-Cooper-A-2-from-1941&p=1429765&viewfull=1#post1429765 If anything, that's the chief passive aggressive post of the last few days. Is this a spill-over from a VLJ argument I don't know about? (i haven't been over there for a few years; I have no idea who you are; I have no opinions about your previous posts in other fora.)

If nothing else it's clear the internet is a minefield of twicthy sensitivities, ready to throw the toys out of the stroller at the slightest perceived provocation. If there's one thing that this place, and VLJ, bring to the internet it's a wealth of knowledge and honest opinions/assessments. All you need to say is: "I know what red rot looks like, and this jacket doesn't have it", and we'll shut up about it, most of us professing our pleasure that another jacket has survived this scourge. You don't need to reach for the security blanket at every non-fawning post …

Listen, I know and anyone with half a brain knows, the internet is an abused substance and people take liberties they wouldnt in person with others (unless they have a true mental illness), but how old are you? Ever hear the popular phrase of "if you cant say something nice"...?
Its evident you are being passive aggressive and I dont enjoy how you are coming at this thread with your negative waves. I am being sincere and open so please don't abuse any role you are allowed here, okay? Thanks.

p.s. I think you've misunderstood the meaning of passive aggressive.

Last edited:

gruvi

Familiar Face
I may be wrong, and apologize. Can we go forward? Anyway, I was asked not to do anything to the jacket because someone wants to buy it from me as is. But its perplexing why the thought of leaving as is, is desireable. Wouldnt you think you would want to condition it for preservation if you put out good money to own it? I own the pecard treatment here, and I have another conditioning product that leaves absolutely no hint that it was used except for the fact it does deeply clean and condition with no darkening, no greasy after affect that needs days to dissapate. Tonight Im taking it over my friends for evaluation of repair possibilities. Because in the end on this day, I want to enjoy it for myself for awhile. Peace,
Gerard

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not convinced this 1401-P has red rot and would need to examine it to be sure one way or the other. I too would be interested in knowing what it cost Gruvi. Useful advice has been given here and on VLJ about whether to restore the jacket or sell it as it is. Constructive criticism is always helpful IMO.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, I too am curious as to where the jacket was purchased.

And count me in on this question as well. I have come across one shop in the City that is sometimes worth going to for vintage pea coats, and I would like to find a shop that might be worth going to for vintage leather jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace