Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found: Amazing Vintage Dobbs Homburg

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Mates, yesterday, while browsing my way through a very cool vintage clothing store, I came upon a gorgeous brown felt Homburg, size 7 3/8, that fit me perfectly. Looks quite old, but is in perfect shape.

I just don't know about the Homburg. It doesn't have the same cool feel that fedoras do. Do any of you guys feel the same way?

Mark

moustache

Practically Family
To each his own

I have a Borsalino Homburg but really don't wear it but maybe three or four times a year. Goes well with a black top-coat or suit.It is more a formal hat and doesn't work(for myself that is)for most clothes i wear. Some men can wear a Homburg and it looks splendid. I'm one that can't.lol

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Lawman

One of the Regulars
I really want to buy the thing, but just can't imagine my big old noggin in a homburg. Not having bought a hat before, I have an itchy trigger finger. I am going to get a Fawcett fedora, and am in that process already, so I will probably wait.

I wish I knew more about hats so I could tell the age. The felt is gorgeous and in mint condition. The inside band and plastic are also in great shape, but look very old.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Regular head at top, Long Oval head at bottom. It refers to head shape. Some people, like me, as it happens, have an enlongated oval (front to back) head shape. Others have a round oval shape, meaning their skull is rounded rather than oval.
It makes a significant diiference in how a hat fits.

LongOval.jpg

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Lawman said:
Mates, yesterday, while browsing my way through a very cool vintage clothing store, I came upon a gorgeous brown felt Homburg, size 7 3/8, that fit me perfectly. Looks quite old, but is in perfect shape.

I just don't know about the Homburg. It doesn't have the same cool feel that fedoras do. Do any of you guys feel the same way?

Mark

I think they look great with the right face. Some folks feel that if you have strong facial features like dark, bushy eyebrows, the curve of the homburg brim puts it all in perfect balance--looking at pictures, I agree. The same might apply to beards, mustaches, goatees. I think they are fabulous hats in general.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Don't worry about LO if it fits...

Lawman said:
...that fit me perfectly.

Mark

The best-fitting hat I have is the one Art made to fit me exactly, and it is indeed a great fit. However, I have hats in three different nominal sizes that fit me very acceptably, and the true test is how it feels when it is sitting on your noggin. If the one you tried on felt good, then it probably fits. Small adjustments in size are relatively easy to make, as you can see by reading in this forum, by adding felt strips under the sweatband to make the hat smaller or stretching it slightly to make it larger. Good luck with your decision, and be sure to post photos if you acquire the hat!

Lawman

One of the Regulars
I'm a lawyer, and am somewhat worried that wearing a Homburg would open me up to claims of trying to hard to cut an interesting figure around the courthouse. Not that a fedora would be much different, but something about the Homburg seems even more, shall we say eccentric? I am an eccentric, make no mistake, but do not want to be taken for a poseur.

Mark

ideaguy

One Too Many
Mark: All members of the bar should be aware of their presence in and out of the courtroom; I know many lawyers that wear hats daily-and I do mean daily.
They would no more think of dressing without a proper hat than with a pair of sneakers. If you're over the age where the clerks address you as "Young Man"...certainly wear a hat, use your acumen (see John's spelling) to realize what is proper dress and what is posing-plenty of articles in Esquire, GQ,etc.to
help, and many threads here. Good luck, counselor.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for the reinforcement! With respect to the Homburg, what do you think? Would it work? Most of my suits are very conservative, dark greys and the like.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I personally love homgurgs. They speak to elegance, poise, taste and confidence.I have worn them with a blazer and tie. and sometimes with a sweater and leather or suade jacket. They look very cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner