Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found my old coin collection...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
found the coin collection that was passed down to me through my mother from my grandmother and her brother-in-law i think. bunch of old silver dollars from 1887 through 1960s, indian head pennies, buffalo nickels, foreign currency including a German mark with the eagle/swastika Nazi symbol on the bottom. also 12 very rare(so ive been told) "Silver Certificate" dollar bills. nice little find now that i know what i'm looking for...thought i would share :)
-SM

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you watch for them, silver certificates are pretty easy to find. They've been "off the market" so to speak, for years, but every few years I seem to end up with one, which goes in an envelope in my dresser. I've gotten a few wheat and steel pennies that way as well.

Flivver

Practically Family
Coin collecting out of change was fun prior to the introduction of clad coinage in 1965. I remember finding coins as early as the 1890s regularly in change in the early 1960s. And you could go to your local bank and purchase Morgan or Peace Silver Dollars for...a buck a piece!

But in 1965, the value of silver exceeded the face value of silver coins. The mints began issuing the nickel/copper clad coins we have today, and the silver dimes, quarters, halves and dollars dissapeared almost immediately as people traded them in to precious metal brokers for substantial premiums over face value. And the silver certificates disappeared rapidly too.

After that, coin collecting lost much of its fun...at least for me.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Flivver said:
Coin collecting out of change was fun prior to the introduction of clad coinage in 1965. I remember finding coins as early as the 1890s regularly in change in the early 1960s. And you could go to your local bank and purchase Morgan or Peace Silver Dollars for...a buck a piece!

But in 1965, the value of silver exceeded the face value of silver coins. The mints began issuing the nickel/copper clad coins we have today, and the silver dimes, quarters, halves and dollars dissapeared almost immediately as people traded them in to precious metal brokers for substantial premiums over face value. And the silver certificates disappeared rapidly too.

After that, coin collecting lost much of its fun...at least for me.

most of the coins i have are pre 1960s
which of what would you all like pics of? be glad to snap a few :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff