Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found this old coat ...what do you think?

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
So I found this coat and I'm not sure what to think about it. I check the tags an it has the ACWA Union tag that would date it between 1949-1962, with no 'R' in the lower left corner.

It is a heavy wool coat, single breasted, that goes down to about the inseam of your pants.

The color in the picture well represents the coat, as it is a green/blue/black combination pattern that somewhat resembles a very fine flannel. I cannot remember the name, and it is a little too hard to make out based on the bad cell phone picture (sorry guys!)...maybe someone will identify it based on the logo design. It definitely reminded me of the 1950s. It has an quilted lining inside that seems to change color at the different angles viewed. It is in excellent condition other than a small hole on the backside of the collar that is a little smaller than the plastic head of a pin (repairable?). Pretty neat coat.

I like it, and it fits me...I'm just not sure what I'd wear with it! I work in an office setting and I'm needing an overcoat, but this one says to me 'outdoors' more than it does 'business', but that may very well be my lack of knowledge speaking.

If I was to pick it up, what would I wear it with? Any ideas? I'm brand new at this. Right now, my only hat is a brown fedora with a black ribbon. I've heard that brown goes with earth colors, including green, but the idea of a green overcoat has never crossed my mind.

Here is the coat in question:

jacketk.jpg

Maybe I could use it for an outdoor smoking jacket?

Any thoughts?

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's a very nice top coat indeed. I just picked up a very similar one, in brown hounds tooth check, and have been wearing it almost every day. Thing is, that's basically a very urban kind of coat. I wear a jacket and tie to work every day, and a top coat goes over it just right. I think it's designed to be the top layer of an outfit that has a suit coat over a shirt and under the coat.
If you're working in an office, and wearing a sport coat, this looks just right to me. Very nice coat.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I like the coat, but wouldn't wear it with a suit -- that's just my personal preference. I wear a coat like that when I'm dressed more casually, and wear a longer overcoat with a suit and tie.

m0nk

One Too Many
I like it, though I wouldn't wear it with a suit. From the description it doesn't sound like a long overcoat and personally, I have a black overcoat about the same length and it looks funny with a sport coat. I think I would wear it while smoking a nice Cohiba and taking the dog for a walk. :D

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Well, I picked it up! Pictures will come this evening. I noticed about 1.5" of stitching on the liner was coming out (didn't notice that before), but very little damage for what looks like a pretty fine coat!

I also wasn't looking for anything else but managed to pick up a 'no R' Union tagged tan raincoat that is fabulous - just needs a small stitch repair under the left arm and a little ironing of the belt. I also found a light flecked tan wood coat made my Montgomery Ward and probably dates to the 70s based on the logo in the coat - it was so nice looking though and fit well, plus the color is what I have seen in a lot of the vintage ads for lighter colored overcoats. It is not a knee length coat - a tad shorter. Maybe I'll take some pictures of me in them and you guys can tell me if they pass muster or if I need to send them back:)

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Welp, here she is! Let me know what you think:

p1201487.jpg

p1201488.jpg

p1201489.jpg

p1201490.jpg

The coat is a little big on me, but I don't mind. It is a very heavy wool, and wears nicely. It is definitely warm! I'm thinking 1950s based on the tag and the style, but who really knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou