Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain pens in cold weather

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I'm getting ready to go to Yellowstone in February on one of my wildlife observing trips (I try to go there a couple of times a year...fantastic place, btw). I've been taking a journal the last few years to record observations, landscape diagrams, etc. I've just been using the fine point pens I got at the art store, but now I'd like to use my brand spankin' new fountain pen.

Anyone have any tips for airline travel (does the pressure change cause any problems, like, say leaking?)? And most importantly, does anyone have any experience with fountain pens in cold (and I mean cold) weather, like -15 or colder at times?

Thanks!

Steve

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Flying Scotsman said:
I'm getting ready to go to Yellowstone in February on one of my wildlife observing trips (I try to go there a couple of times a year...fantastic place, btw). I've been taking a journal the last few years to record observations, landscape diagrams, etc. I've just been using the fine point pens I got at the art store, but now I'd like to use my brand spankin' new fountain pen.

Anyone have any tips for airline travel (does the pressure change cause any problems, like, say leaking?)? And most importantly, does anyone have any experience with fountain pens in cold (and I mean cold) weather, like -15 or colder at times?

Thanks!

Steve

Either fill the pen completely before air travel...or travel with it empty and fill when you get there. Either way, a ziplock bag is a good second level of protection.

Noodlers makes Polar Blue ink....suitable into freezing temps.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Just be sure that if you fly with your pen full of ink, that the nib is kept pointing up during the flight or else you might have an unfortunate leak.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I agree with Miss Neecerie on the ziplock bag, and also take it in your pocket or carry on, to help keep the temperature stable, I've found that makes a big difference.

Have fun with the -15, over here we had a week straight of -45, when they factored in the wind chill this winter, needless to say I was a cold, unhappy camper!lol

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
CanadaDoll said:
I agree with Miss Neecerie on the ziplock bag, and also take it in your pocket or carry on, to help keep the temperature stable, I've found that makes a big difference.

Have fun with the -15, over here we had a week straight of -45, when they factored in the wind chill this winter, needless to say I was a cold, unhappy camper!lol

-15 would be okay...the year before last, they hit -55 in February in the park, and last year it was -45. This will be my first time there in Feb, I usually go in March and October...hopefully it won't coincide with those ultra-low temps.

As they say, though..."there's no bad weather, only bad clothing!".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy