Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive Fountain Pens

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I picked up a Pilot Varsity Fountain Pen, disposable, on Saturday and I must admit I'm really shocked at how nicely this pen writes. I purchased it to bring to the office, I don't want to risk bringing in a nicer pen and have someone "borrow it"...

Does anyone else have any cheapie Fountain Pens that they like?

Sorry, I realize disposable pens aren't very environmentally friendly...

Feraud

Bartender
It is a good idea to keep the good stuff at home if there is a chance of losing it. I have a Cross that writes well enough.

If you have not already seen these threads, there is great reading about fountain pens, inks, and paper in the following threads.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28071

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10801&highlight=fountain+pen

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=158&highlight=fountain+pen

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25241&highlight=fountain+pen

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14933&highlight=fountain+pen

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My vote is on an Esterbrook....vintage...but still buyable for fairly cheap....and about 25 or less to get working.....comes in 5 lovely colors!

The nibs are interchangable...so its one pen, which you can use for many things if you start collecting nibs.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've moved this to GA&A because that is where most, if not all, of the other fountain pen threads are. At some point, I may consolidate this into one of the others.

I used to carry a Cross Apogee all of the time. That pen writes as well as any of my more expensive pens. It retails for less than $200, but it always on sale for less than $100 and worth each penny.

D

DeaconKC

+1 on the Varsity's being a pleasant surprise, they do write very well. Check ebay for some Harley Davidson pens. They are by Waterman and great values.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JohnnyGringo said:
... I purchased it to bring to the office, I don't want to risk bringing in a nicer pen and have someone "borrow it"...

Many years ago my father-in-law gave me a very good tip on how to keep someone from accidentally "borrowing" your pen:

When someone wants to borrow your pen, give them the pen but you keep the top. Should they accidentally put your pen in their pocket ... well, needless to say, they will only do that once!

I've used that tip for the past 20 years and have never lost a pen to someone "accidentally" borrowing it.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I used the Varisty fountain pens for a little while while at undergrad, but the uni bookstore stopped carrying them and I didn't find them again until after graduation. I see a lot of Parker fountain pens in plastic packaging in stationary stores that go for £30 or so, but haven't ever used one.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
There are quite a few modern pens in bigger stationary stores that go for under 25...

Schaeffer makes some and so does Parker...I have lots of under 10 dollar pens by both of these companies.

The Parker Vector is under 20, and is a great 'starter' pen. The Parker Reflex also is under 25 and is another decent writer.Parker also has the Frontier and Jotter, again, good enough to let you get 'hooked' on Fountain pens.... ;)

(Sorry Hemm, I don't consider just under $100, a cheapie pen) :p

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Oh, I'm already more than hooked on Fountain Pens! I'm just looking for several dependable, yet inexpensive pens to use at the office that both write nicely and that won't be like losing my dog if someone walks away with it. In addition to the Pilot, I also purchased a Pelikan- I believe it's a Model 460- but I took the Pilot into the office first. And by the way, the Pilot was a whopping $4.00, The Pelikan was $17.00. All suggestions are sincerely appreciated and will be considered.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I use a variety of pens, including several Schaeffer white dot (don't know the exact name) pens, a Waterman Expert and Waterman Phileas. None of them are really expensive, but all write really well. I've been using fountain pens for ~20 years now, and I've never once had one wander off. I'm usually the only person I know who has a clue how to write with one!

Josephine

One Too Many
I've used the Pilot Varsity for many years and I really really like it. I get it in a pack, they come in hella lot of colors.

And they can be refilled:

The end cap is just a color indicator and a barrel plug. When removed you can look half way down the barrel and see the top of the ink chamber. Half of the barrel is nothing but dead space. No way to fill from that end. I popped the cap back on and began working on the nib end.

With a pair of needlenose pliers I twisted the nib assembly and pulled it out with a bit of force. It came out with a "plop" like a stopper from a bottle. And that is just what it is, a ribbed stopper with a stainless steel nib attached. After adding a shot of Quink blue, I reinserted the nib section. It took a little force, but went back in and seated well. It works!!! In fact it works so well I wish I had filled the ink reservoir instead of adding only 1cc of ink. My guess it will hold about 2cc.

I wasn't very careful and the pliers left marks on the plastic under the nib. With the amount of force necessary to remove the nib assembly there may be no way to get it out without marring it. This did not effect the nib or its writing quality. I'm amazed how well these pens write. For a disposable they are great.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
I would not want a Harley logo splashed on a fountain pen.

It's actually very subtle. I have one and the Harley branding is limited to a very sublte logo on the end, while some of the stylistic details evoke motorcycle engine parts. I'll see if i can get a photo later. You wouldn't notice it was a Harley pen unless you studied it closely. Lovely thing to write with, too.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I think of my grandmother's summer cottage, with every drawer in every dresser crammed with old fountains pens used by her and her 2 school teacher sisters, I shake my head in dismay. All gone. I have one old fountain pen now, which I don't use.
Anyhow, if you're in New York, and you want to see more fountain pens than you can shake a nib at, try the Fountain Hospital, near City Hall.
http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/
It's a small place, but the diversisty of writing equipment is dazzling.
I got my mother a gorgeous Waterman fountain pen there for her 70th birthday. She loved it.

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
I'll see if i can get a photo later. You wouldn't notice it was a Harley pen unless you studied it closely. Lovely thing to write with, too.
Thank you Edward. I would like to see it.

dhermann1 said:
Anyhow, if you're in New York, and you want to see more fountain pens than you can shake a nib at, try the Fountain Hospital, near City Hall.
http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/
It's a small place, but the diversisty of writing equipment is dazzling.
How right you are. I have not been there in a couple of years but the place is amazing.
It is time I took a ride to visit the place. Thanks for the reminder.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pelikan!! I adore them. I love the way they write, and even their lower end lines write beautifully, IMO!!
Check out the M215 or if you can find the M150 which is even less price.
Pendemoniumhas a good selection. I haven't shopped around in a while for these lines, so I'm not sure if they have the most competitive of pricing, but I really like their service and they have a decent sized selection. Pelikan also makes a very cool low end, disposable looking yet refillable fp that supposedly writes beautifully. I just really like this brand, worth every cent, IMO.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Vintage Fountain Pens

Administrator please remove if this violates any rules.

Pentrace is a great place both to learn about and buy vintage fountain pens. The "yellow board" (www.pentrace.net/mboard.htm) is to discuss pens; the "green board" (www.pentrace.net/penmarket.htm) is to buy or sell them. There are many other such boards, but this is the best and largest one, IMHO. There are lots of vintage pens under $50 that will perform and look great, and will last far longer than any modern semi-disposable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran