Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pen newbie

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Pen Doctor Gets Right to the Point
Fans Bring in Vintage Writing Instruments For Expert Repair Work at Show in Tysons

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/08/AR2009080802437.html?hpid=artslot

More than 2,000 people are expected to stream through two ballrooms full of pen dealers this weekend at the country's largest pen show. Many will line up for Binder's services, traveling to see him from locations near and far, including New York and Saudi Arabia. They carry their pens in shirt pockets, or locked metal briefcases, or wrapped in tissue paper, or in one instance, in an old and presumably washed Chinese takeout container.

armod

Familiar Face
another useful product

I found out about another product for us newbies.

once again by pilot. it's the plumix. available in the US through target. it's a $6 cartridge pen.

1a0cc3966e.jpg

it doesn't appear on the north american pilot website but after calling their office to enquire they assured that it is available.

comes in a variety of nibs so go see what's available on the european pilot site.

and it's been said on pen forums that it takes universal cartridge converters.

seems like a good, cheap introduction to fountain pens

Doublegun

Practically Family
When I bought my Parker 75 I also bought a Lamy, a $30 cartridge pen that has a universal adaptor. The Lamy is available with different nibs - not a bad intro pen. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of the ability to rotate the nib to change the grip.

Lenore

Practically Family
armod said:
I found out about another product for us newbies.

once again by pilot. it's the plumix. available in the US through target. it's a $6 cartridge pen.

1a0cc3966e.jpg

it doesn't appear on the north american pilot website but after calling their office to enquire they assured that it is available.

comes in a variety of nibs so go see what's available on the european pilot site.

and it's been said on pen forums that it takes universal cartridge converters.

seems like a good, cheap introduction to fountain pens

I have two "squid pens" as I affectionately call them. I love them. I originally bought them for the office to replace my Pilot Varsitys. Being the front desk, people tend to think my desk and anything on it is communal property. I do not keep my good pens here for that very reason. I read about the Plumix on the Fountain Pen Network board and decided to pick up some at Target. I figured for 6 bucks, if they were horrid I'd just allow people to borrow it and not expect it back.

Personally, I love them. I have actually taken them home with me on many occasions and have chosen to use them over some of my more expensive pens. As my mum used to say "Try it... you won't know if you like it until you do!" And for 6 bucks, why not?!:D

ETA: The downside is they are only available in blue ink cartridges, but as previously posted, you CAN use a Namiki Vanishing Point Twist Converter. It holds about half as much ink as the cartridges do, but more than enough for a day's use (for me), maybe up to a week or more for light writers.

I need to check these Plume Pilot pens out the next time I go to Target. As a collector I have a number of student pens in my collection and need to try these out. Finding a nice inexpensive fountain pen is great, it's nice to be able to use them as gifts.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
We got a couple of the Plumes, and they're alright to use, just a little pesky because they require their own specially-ordered refills; the universal ones won't fit.
The Mr. has ordered a few pens through ebay, which are of course more substantial, and can be filled directly from the bottle. Today a new one arrived in the mail. It wasn't exactly as we expected, and he's at the moment trying to get his computer to start so he can check the listing, in case the size and condition were in the small print and he missed it. (A caveat about online shopping whilst enjoying a bottle of wine or two, perhaps. :rolleyes: )

So, the pen was rather a bit smaller than I was expecting:
3985484788_b6f4484961.jpg

(That's a penny.) But it is cute and charming.
When I opened it, however, this is what I got:
3985484776_d894c09108.jpg

Sad, to say the least. Can something be done to make this pen usable again, or am I now the owner of an ornament?

Not really, collectors know that the rubber sack is easily replaced and it is expected to be ossified if the pen is old. If the body, cap clip and the feed and nib are in good to excellent condition, then it's a repair many of us have done or had done with a recent pen find.

Key point to remember to ask: Is it in working condition or has it been refurbished / restored?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lenore said:
I have two "squid pens" as I affectionately call them. I love them. I originally bought them for the office to replace my Pilot Varsitys. Being the front desk, people tend to think my desk and anything on it is communal property. I do not keep my good pens here for that very reason. I read about the Plumix on the Fountain Pen Network board and decided to pick up some at Target. I figured for 6 bucks, if they were horrid I'd just allow people to borrow it and not expect it back.

Personally, I love them. I have actually taken them home with me on many occasions and have chosen to use them over some of my more expensive pens. As my mum used to say "Try it... you won't know if you like it until you do!" And for 6 bucks, why not?!:D

ETA: The downside is they are only available in blue ink cartridges, but as previously posted, you CAN use a Namiki Vanishing Point Twist Converter. It holds about half as much ink as the cartridges do, but more than enough for a day's use (for me), maybe up to a week or more for light writers.

I picked up a Plumix the other day, and oddly enough it has filled a slot in my pen lineup that I had not yet filled. The nib on it is decidedly more squared off then any of my other pens, and so it slots it self right into fine but stub nib. I had not yet procured myself any Esterbrook stub nibs (I am an Esterbrook girl, why get more pens when you can get more nibs!), so this works out well.

I also do calligraphy, and while not quite -that- stubby, it works well for fast italic style writing as well.

Now just to source more refills, since thats where the whole 'lets sell this at Target' plan fails, since they dont sell the refills there. heh.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
"Now just to source more refills, since thats where the whole 'lets sell this at Target' plan fails, since they dont sell the refills there. heh."

Exactly. We bought the pens & searched high and low for a pack of refills; nothing but the convenient message on the back of the packaging - order refills online at www etc."

I also found a disposable fountain at Michael's, with a thin, non-calligraphic nib. It's a nice writer, but seems such a waste. The package proudly claimed you never have to mess with refills, which is true enough, as I haven't been able to get the pen open even to see how it works. Too bad they didn't just make it so you could use a cartridge if you wanted to. Wasteful and silly.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Flishthings,

You need not fear. The pen can be repaired to working condition. There are still companies which manufacture old-fashioned ink-sacs and you can buy them and fix your pen yourself. However, it's probably better to send your pen to an expert. I could suggest Richard Binder or Ron Zorn (amongst several others).

A sac-replacement is rather easy, though. I've done several myself. You just need patience and you need to be careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner