Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain pens - ostentatious?

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
I used to have 2 nice fountain pens, a Limited Edition Senator Zeppelin and an older Parker that belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately both are gone now, the Zepp having been stolen in a burglary 11 years ago and the parker was lost in a move. I'm hunting ebay looking for some values, until then I still have my collection of dip pens and yes I use them on a more or less daily basis.

UPDATE: I just won a NOS "American" lever filler from the 40's. Looking forward to it coming, seems I'm the first owner who's actually going to use it.

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I carry FPs daily on my job. And as I am a Prole Agent sometimes they get bounced around. My expensive or older vintage pens stay home and are reserved for Sunday usage. My Cross ATX, Shaeffer Javelin, a couple of Waterman Harleys, a Namiki Pilot and a Parker 45 see use in the daily rotation. I just tell folks "I like them" and go on with my business.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm just wondering.

WHEN, WHY and HOW was and is, a fountain pen considered ostentaious?

I just don't understand it. Someone explain it to me, please.

hathead

New in Town
I use a fountain pen every day. I am in sales and I write quite a bit. I find they are more comfortable use and they look professional. I loose about one shirt a year to a fountain pen leak but that just the way it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21