Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pens: Who uses them, and why?

Richard Warren said:
Every fountain pen I have ever had (including some rather expensive ones) has leaked. How do you guys do it?
The real question is can you list the make and models of the fountain pens you've had. If they were all in the lower echelon of pens that may have something to do with it.

My very inexpensive pens leaked too and were scratchy.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
St.Ignatz said:
My last leak was from filling with a cold bottle of ink, left in the car in the late fall, and putting the fully topped off pen in my shirt pocket under a jacket. My only guess was that the warm ink expanded and seeped from the nib Do you store and carry nib up and not in an attache or lying on your desk?
Tom D.

It wasn't the ink that expanded, it was the air that expanded and pushed the ink out.

The reason that I love, and collect fountain pens is: they are like jewelry with a function other than simply looking pretty. There is also an engineering aspect to them. I've tried to collect examples of as many filling systems as I can; but I'm also a sucker for a pen that's just plain pretty. I also like how effortlessly they lay down a line of ink, and that each pen is an individual with its own character.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
My handwriting was terrible so I picked up some books and started a course of hand writing repair. The fountain pen was recommended because you slow down using one.

I do not use extreme high end models. The very flexible nibs are not good for my hand with the essential tremor.

For signatures, I use a Green Seas Levenger with a bold nib. Green Ink. They don't make it anymore. Had it since 2000.

Everyday use is a Lamy Vista. I bought the converter and drink from my own inkwells. I use a Lamy because I trashed both a Waterman and a Shaffer and couldn't bear to do it again. Blue ink for this.

I also have a beautiful glass "dip" pen in fine that I use with red ink for Christmas cards.

My everyday paper is Levenger Jr and Letter pads. I use a very heavy Crane for notes. My ink is also Levenger.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
By leak, I mean that after charging with ink as instructed, when using the pen I get ink on my fingers. When I lay the pen on a piece of paper, ink gets on the paper. Ink just gets everywhere.

I don't use inkwells myself as I switch colors and brands of ink often so the bottles are more convienient.

I do occassionally use my rocker blotter and blotter paper. Every once in a while either the pen is a really wet writer or the paper is not as absorbant so I wll blot the excess up. My rocker is a modern wood one made in France i think and is one offered by several of the big online line fountain pen sites. It's not very big so you cut the blotter paper to fit. Fun to use now and again.

I have a problem with the Levenger ink the Cobalt Blue, it's attracted to water, so it will smudge even after it's dried on the paper. I have done a near 1 to 1 mix with distilled water to try to get it less smudge-able and that has improved it but not fixed the smudgeyness.

fiddletown

New in Town
Shangas said:
Since there seems to be a large number of people here who use fountain pens, does anyone here also use inkwells, rocker-blotters and blotting-paper?
I have an Art Deco rocker blotter my stepmother gave me many years ago. I keep it on my desk with blotting-paper in it, and use it as occasion demands. Don't seem to have any need for an inkwell.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I use a crystal inkwell from Levinger, and a rocker blotter that I made out of CocoBolo. Finding blotter paper is tough though. You can see both the blotter and the ink well on my desk (cleaned off for the photo)...
Desk1-vi.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Highlander!

A beautiful inkwell and blotter! I must say that well looks pretty chunky.

Regarding blotting-paper...while I DO prefer the real thing...I realise that these days it can be harder to find. I use thick paper towels instead. You'd be surprised how effective it is. It works just as well, it costs nothing and you can grab tons of it whenever you find it. I've got an entire drawer full of it, along with a half-roll of blotting-paper and various advertising-blotters which I've picked up over the years.

Slowly working my way through what is certainly a lifetime supply of the stuff!

armod

Familiar Face
I just switched to fountain pens.

I'm also young (23) and people tend to double take when I stop texting on my PDA and make a note with a fountain pen.

one of my friends even remarked "it's surreal watching you write down an email address with a fountain pen"

I also love history and tradition but at the same time I love new technology and the progress it provides.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Richard Warren said:
By leak, I mean that after charging with ink as instructed, when using the pen I get ink on my fingers. When I lay the pen on a piece of paper, ink gets on the paper. Ink just gets everywhere.

I recently purchased a Parker Vacumatic (1945) at the Ohio Pen Show. I really like it, but the first day I took it with me to work and took it out to use it I had ink on my fingers. I cleaned the ink off of the end of the pen body (took a bit to get it all out of the cap threads) rinsed the cap, cleaned the whole thing up and dried it, capped it, and clipped it back into my shirt pocket. A couple of hours later I took it out, uncapped it, stopped myself and wiped the pen with a paper towel, and came away with blue ink. Rinsed the cap, more ink.

And this from a pen that was in my pocket, nib up. Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers,
Tom

(I was going to send the seller a note and/or post the question on The Fountain Pen Network, but this came up, so... :p )

kodou

New in Town
left-handed writers may find the following to be helpful

In short, I am a left-handed writer and found that a fountain pen is best.

In detail:
Instead of a teacher with a soft spot for southpaws, all I remember was being given a worksheet with bulleted tips comparing lefties and righties. I never developed the hook-hand style of writing, but did mix-and-match print with cursive until I had something almost legible.
Last year, I decided to improve my penmanship. This past summer I decided to take up letter writing. I do this on my own as I am overseas (Japan), so progress is slow/difficult, but at least I can take advantage of this country's obsession with stationery.

I have found the low angle needed for FP's, capillary action of the ink, and the larger diameter of the pen itself very relaxing for my hand. Other pens had me exerting way too much pressure without knowing it. I started out with the Pilot Varsity pens (aka V-Pen here) and have now moved up to a Pilot Lucina .

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
I recently purchased a Parker Vacumatic (1945) at the Ohio Pen Show. I really like it, but the first day I took it with me to work and took it out to use it I had ink on my fingers. I cleaned the ink off of the end of the pen body (took a bit to get it all out of the cap threads) rinsed the cap, cleaned the whole thing up and dried it, capped it, and clipped it back into my shirt pocket. A couple of hours later I took it out, uncapped it, stopped myself and wiped the pen with a paper towel, and came away with blue ink. Rinsed the cap, more ink.

And this from a pen that was in my pocket, nib up. Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers,
Tom

(I was going to send the seller a note and/or post the question on The Fountain Pen Network, but this came up, so... :p )

Hi Tom,

The FPN is probably your best bet. There are several people there who will be able to help you. What brand of ink are you using in the pen? That is sometimes seen as a factor in how it behaves/operates.

Thank you

I'm glad this thread was started and now I am inspired to go find my fountain pens again and see if I can resurrect any of them.

Also I am inspired to work on my handwriting and send handwritten notes to my friends and family again (used to do that years ago).

Great topic and helpful contributions, everyone :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Hamilton Honey,

Thanks! Glad you like the thread. What pens do you have? If you got any problems in getting them to work after so long, someone here might be able to help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou