Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frankly Franco

filfoster

One Too Many
This is a bit off the beaten, but thought some Loungers might know the answer. I am getting together a display of the uniforms of Franco and one of his principal antagonists, Republican general Jose Miaja Menant.
Many photos of Franco show a small round embroidered badge on his lower left sleeve. It looks like some variety of a 'collective medal', perhaps with a Spanish Legion crest in the center. Does anyone know what it is?
Bonus points: Do you have one to spare?

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Hello Filfoster.
I think you mean the Laureate Cross of St. Ferdinand.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureate_Cross_of_Saint_Ferdinand or more extended, but in spanish: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruz_Laureada_de_San_Fernando)
Is the highest award that can be obtained in combat in the Spanish Armed Forces.
The medal can be worn as a plaque on the chest or as an embroidered badge on the lower sleeve. Units, ships, aircrafts, cities or provinces can be awarded with that cross and earn the rigth of enabling it on their colours, coats of arms, etc.
The Order was established in 1811.
Franco was Laureated because of his victory in 1939. Considering his position in the stablishment at the moment I don't think any one would argue against ;) .
By the way, my grandfather on my father's side was a Laureated too, in a collective mention because of the defense of the siege of Huesca during the Spanish Civil War (Probably facing George Orwell who was at the same front for sometime). My father keeps some pictures of him in his uniform with the embroidered cross on the sleeve, but, alas, we don't have a spare one[huh]
In fact I don't even know were is the original one or the uniform. Probably the family got rid of it because of itspolitical signification. My father keeps a few other medals, but not the laureate.

filfoster

One Too Many
St. Ferndinand

L'Onset:
That is a possibility. The photos and portraits seem to show a badge with a different pattern in the center of the collective award badge, though. The St. Ferdinand Laureate collective badge is rather subdued in the center-I found one on the Todocoleccion site. In the portraits, the badge center shows some crossed or "X" pattern design, with a spot of bright silver at the top of the "X"; My guess is the Legion crest because that bright spot would be the silver halberd head. The Army of Africa 'regulares' would be similar and he could have worn that but the Legion seems a better guess-that is the force where he made his reputation.
I also found the Medalla Militar and the St. Ferdinand Laureate cross metal breast badge replicas on the Todocoleccion site, and they are good copies. For the Miaja uniform, I found a nice copy of the Laureate star for the defense of Madrid-a very rare award Miaja was given. Great stuff.
I thank you for your reply and your story of your grandfather!

filfoster

One Too Many
Thanks

L'Onset said:
Hello Filfoster.

By the way, my grandfather on my father's side was a Laureated too, in a collective mention because of the defense of the siege of Huesca during the Spanish Civil War (Probably facing George Orwell who was at the same front for sometime). My father keeps some pictures of him in his uniform with the embroidered cross on the sleeve, but, alas, we don't have a spare one[huh]
In fact I don't even know were is the original one or the uniform. Probably the family got rid of it because of itspolitical signification. My father keeps a few other medals, but not the laureate.

L'Onset: I understand from reading "Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and its Silent Past" by Giles Tremlett, that the subject of the Civil War is still very touchy. I confess I would have been rooting for your grandfather's side but I am glad Mr. Orwell was spared to write his 'Homage' and other wonderful things. He had a political change of heart from his experiences in Spain, I have also read. And that is as far as I will venture to any political thoughts in the Lounge, thank you Moderators.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I agree our civil war is still a very delicate topic to deal with. But here in the Lounge there is an old thread about it very civilised wich, amongst other things, made me appreciate that this was well mannered community to which it was worth belonging.
:eek:fftopic: It is still very difficult -at least among Spaniards- to hold a debate on topics related to the Civil War and keeping it always calm. Just to make an idea, my other grandfather was a doctor on the republican side and my grandma's youngest brother fought with the republicans at the age of sixteen. Having relatives on both sides and very sad stories from those days (and the years to follow) is very common to most of us in Spain

Back on the original topic. The rounded badge you describe may be the insignia for the rank of general in the Spanish Army

It consists in two commanding sticks crossed with one to four stars on the spaces in-between and a fifth one over the crossing point for the unique rank of Captain General of the Army wich is held by the King.
(http://rojoygualda.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/img_grados.jpg).

I don't remember now whether Franco -as a self proclaimed "Generalisimo"- wore five or just four stars. What is for sure is that nowadays a Royal crown stands over the whole and it didn't in Franco's time army.
It would help to see the picture you describe.

filfoster

One Too Many
Rank

L'Onset said:
I agree our civil war is still a very delicate topic to deal with. But here in the Lounge there is an old thread about it very civilised wich, amongst other things, made me appreciate that this was well mannered community to which it was worth belonging.
:eek:fftopic: It is still very difficult -at least among Spaniards- to hold a debate on topics related to the Civil War and keeping it always calm. Just to make an idea, my other grandfather was a doctor on the republican side and my grandma's youngest brother fought with the republicans at the age of sixteen. Having relatives on both sides and very sad stories from those days (and the years to follow) is very common to most of us in Spain

Back on the original topic. The rounded badge you describe may be the insignia for the rank of general in the Spanish Army

It consists in two commanding sticks crossed with one to four stars on the spaces in-between and a fifth one over the crossing point for the unique rank of Captain General of the Army wich is held by the King.
(http://rojoygualda.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/img_grados.jpg).

I don't remember now whether Franco -as a self proclaimed "Generalisimo"- wore five or just four stars. What is for sure is that nowadays a Royal crown stands over the whole and it didn't in Franco's time army.
It would help to see the picture you describe.

The uniform I have depicts Franco circa 1937 or so-intended to be sometime between 1936 and 1939. The rank insignia you describe is on each collar point, on the front of the cap and on the sleeve cuffs. I have put on the rank insignia for a Major General, with the gold star centering the crossed sword and staff. This is the rank he held during the Civil War although he was in command of other Nationalist Generals who outranked him in grade, but not authority. He had been the youngest general in the Spanish Army and was very much respected for his professional ability, and evidently had a great personal 'command' presence. I believe he assumed command of the Nationalist cause when Sanjuro, who started the revolt, died in the plane crash. It didn't hurt his claim that he brought the largest and 'baddest' body of troops with him from Morroco.

Here is a link to a photo to show the badge I am trying to identify with particularity:
http://banderasdeotrocolor.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/francodemierda.jpg
and
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/33...E604310E1D55D9E1AF615F12360245223CE6E4BAF89B1

These clearly show the sleeve badge but without enough detail, even enlarged, to identify it conclusively. I believe it is a collective award, probably with the Legion crest in the center but I would like to get some authoritative confirmation of that.

The uniform I have is exactly like the one shown in the links above, and is now complete but I have made do with the collective award for African Army 'regulares', which I will change if I can or need to. And, of course, if I can find a decent specimen of whatever else it may be!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
There are two insignia on his sleeve here. The lower on is the rank insignia of a general. As for the upper one, I have no idea

francodemierda.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Insignia

Guttersnipe said:
There are two insignia on his sleeve here. The lower on is the rank insignia of a general. As for the upper one, I have no idea

francodemierda.jpg

Yes, the rank insignia was mentioned above in post #6. I have the rank insignia and it's affixed. I need to confirm what the 'collective medal' badge in the forearm has in the center. Best bet is the Legion crest. Someone in the Lounge will know.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Hello.
I`m back after a few days away and searching a bit. You are right Filfoster, the badge includes the crest of the Spanish Legion and is a colective medal, it is the Military Medal, no longer exisiting. Awarded to the Legion, but I don't know when nor for which particular action (I keep on searching).
The picture shows Franco as a General of Brigade so it belongs to the period between 1926 - 1934.
For the Military Medal (colective) regulation as follows:

"Royal General Order 12th august 1922
To all individuals who have taken action in facts of arms which may lead to the granting of the Military Medal:
It will be worn as a badge of the mentioned decoration the rusted iron border of the Medal with the crest of the branch of the Army or unit who earned it in its center. This badge will be attached to the lower left sleeve of the uniform by a safety pin that should remain out of sight."

Later on, the Order of may 16th 1940 establishes that no more than one badge of a colective Military Medal can be worn by an individual, and the possesion of any other can be shown by a golden bar of four centimeters long for each additional medal, embroidered on the sleeve below the badge and separated of it (and between each other if more than one bar) by one centimeter

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/imagenes/mmc/mmc5.jpg
http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/mmc.htm

I hope this helps to answer you.
Cheers.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
:cheers1:
You're wellcome Filfoster. I don't think it's going to be easy to find a replica or even an original one.
Here is for sale a sleeve badge for the Medalla Militar Colectiva awarded to the Army Corps of Navarra (Civil War)
http://www.militariabcn.com/detall.php?producte_id=1374&lang=esp
It's not the one of the Legion, but may be in this place you will be able to find one.
Here's the link to the home page in english
http://www.militariabcn.com/entrada.php?lang=ang

(edited): If you take in account the description of the badge and the picture I posted before, may be you can ask someone to make one for you

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many
L'Onset: Thank you! I found a good replica for this badge with a center having the emblem of the Spanish African Army (Morocco) which looks very similar, two crossed rifles and a silver crescent moon across them, below center, on the todocoleccion site. Thanks to your fine photos, I should be able to have a friend of mine with sources in India and Pakistan make a good copy. Thank you again! If any Loungers want one of these copies or sources for the replica uniforms, etc. you may PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy