Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fraying on a new hat

SteveK

New in Town
I just got this hat about 3 weeks ago from Panama hats direct and it is starting to fray on the crown. It is sold as a fino at around $150. Previous less expensive panamas have not shown this deterioration for several years. It has been carefully worn and stored. It looks quite tatty and old now, Is this acceptable?
IMG_6255.JPG
IMG_6252.JPG

This happens sometimes - the straw fibre has snapped - your best chance is to snip it off with a pair of scissors, or even better, side cutters. Then you could put a dab of household silicon on the inside of the hat to hold the break together. Then all will be well and you will never notice it.
I have used the small Japanese tailor's thread snips.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Mine is doing the same, a PHD Cuerca Havana. I just thought it was how they were. Thank you for asking this I wouldn't have known otherwise. I'm going to try snipping them off as truffaux suggested.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I will chime in with the same issue in a couple of spots on my PHD hat. I've had mine for several years.. Is there anything to snipping spots like that and using a dab of super glue to stop it in its tracks or is that a bad option?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got this hat about 3 weeks ago from Panama hats direct and it is starting to fray on the crown. It is sold as a fino at around $150. Previous less expensive panamas have not shown this deterioration for several years. It has been carefully worn and stored. It looks quite tatty and old now, Is this acceptable?
View attachment 528845 View attachment 528846
I get a little bit of that but I am in a very dry environment. I try and remember to put my Panama hats in the bathroom while I shower to get them all nicely steamed up.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner