Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers Deerskin Bodie - Deerskin discussion

Gum

New in Town
Wanted to share some pics of a new to me FW Bodie. Picked this up from a local in Sydney. It is a size 42 and I think fits me quite well (183cm 86kg). Accompanying the jacket is a Taylor Stitch shirt and Buzz Rickson Officer chinos.

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

This is the first time I’ve handled deerskin. The pros is that the leather is truly soft and has a pliability to it. Unlike horsehide (most of my other jackets are horsehide), deer gives just enough to form to my body. As a result, I feel that a deerskin jacket can be quite trim fitting whilst still being comfortable. I’ve had trim fitting horsehide before and it takes a while to start to give only a little. For example, if I zip up the bodie completely, and pull my shoulders back, the leather is pliable enough to stretch across the chest. Whilst in a similar fitting horsehide jacket, pulling my shoulders back can happen to a point before before the horsehide says no. I love horsehide, it feels robust, but deerskin is a nice change.

I think the possible negatives of this jacket is that because the leather is soft, it may pick up knicks and cuts more easily (though I have no experience of this). It also seems to pick up marks, stains, oils and water spots quite easily.

Anyway, what are everyone’s thoughts on deerskin? Do you have to be careful with it to avoid staining and damage? Can I wear it in the rain?

Look forward to hearing people’s thoughts

jeo

One Too Many
I have this jacket. It’ll easily stain from rain drops, oils on your hand etc…and is prone to abrasion since it’s pretty soft, but deerskin is tough so you don’t need to worry. I dont avoid the rain or worry when wearing mine. Anything it picks up will just make it look better.

Gum

New in Town
I have this jacket. It’ll easily stain from rain drops, oils on your hand etc…and is prone to abrasion since it’s pretty soft, but deerskin is tough so you don’t need to worry. I dont avoid the rain or worry when wearing mine. Anything it picks up will just make it look better.

The jacket has picked up a decent spot from the previous owner already. The colour seems to darken in areas and I think that’s the oils from the skin and water that you are talking about. I think it gives it a nice depth and variance of colour.

Excited to see how it ages, I think I’m just gonna wear it, even in wet weather and see how it goes.

IMG_2375.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2379.jpeg
View attachment IMG_2378.jpeg

Reactions: jeo

cbez

One Too Many
love the bodie and buena vista

that's my love/hate with veg tans. love the character but the spotting does bug me at times. Altho I feel like they do grow into it over time, the first spot always hurts the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner