Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers leather jackets

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I really like the way it fits Momoa.

I remember that he had Freewheelers custom make his. So what you're seeing is one that was made specifically to fit his body, therefore being Freewheeler's idea of the perfect fit, i.e.; the way it's supposed to fit and look on someone. Since the fit of this other guy's looks very similar I'd say he's done well as it's very close to what Freewheeler's intended to be ideal. I also happen to think it looks good. With the sleeves unzipped it looks like the sleeve length is probably right at the spot that I personally like, which is hitting slightly above the top knuckle of my thumb. Back length looks good to me and is the length I'd want on me if it were my jacket. Looks good on him with the t-shirt under it and also looks like there's enough room to layer, which is a great balance IMO. With some jackets it's either/or in that respect. Yes shoulders look a tad wide but so are Aquaman's and we've established that that's the intended look for this jacket. If they were any narrower it might not fit, as Freewheelers tend to be tighter in the upper chest due to high armholes. If I were in the market for one of these and that's the fit I got, I'd be happy

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
I remember that he had Freewheelers custom make his. So what you're seeing is one that was made specifically to fit his body, therefore being Freewheeler's idea of the perfect fit, i.e.; the way it's supposed to fit and look on someone. Since the fit of this other guy's looks very similar I'd say he's done well as it's very close to what Freewheeler's intended to be ideal. I also happen to think it looks good. With the sleeves unzipped it looks like the sleeve length is probably right at the spot that I personally like, which is hitting slightly above the top knuckle of my thumb. Back length looks good to me and is the length I'd want on me if it were my jacket. Looks good on him with the t-shirt under it and also looks like there's enough room to layer, which is a great balance IMO. With some jackets it's either/or in that respect. Yes shoulders look a tad wide but so are Aquaman's and we've established that that's the intended look for this jacket. If they were any narrower it might not fit, as Freewheelers tend to be tighter in the upper chest due to high armholes. If I were in the market for one of these and that's the fit I got, I'd be happy
9A02F085-AE92-413B-B574-82BC96277E51.gif

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

I actually do not think this is the full story. My guess is that his weight fluctuates due to him working out more before and during the filming a movie. I would assume that he got measured when he was bulkier which is why the jacket doesn't actually fit.

Indeed, I think it fits him quite poorly. I highly doubt this is how FW thinks it should fit. This is not how their jackets fit their models at all. If it is how they think it should fit, that would surprise the heck out of me.

Serghei Velescu

Familiar Face
I feel like a size down would probably fit you better in the upper body.
To me this is too big in the shoulders, chest and arms.
Yes true but i am 80kg and beer belly and is super tight on me on the belly area. I can barely zip it even if it doesnt look like in the photos haha
Unless i loose 10kg a size 40 would be better indeed. But then i would only wear it with just a tshirt below. Sometimes i like to throw a hoodie below too and size 40 would not work i think. Its hard to find a perfect fit jacket and this is my 2nd real leather jacket so i still have enough time to find a perfect one. But also our bodies change during time especially in my case as i tend to put weight pretty fast and i loose it very hard and i always have issues with clothes because of this

Serghei Velescu

Familiar Face
But thanks for all your honest opinions and critics. And yes i asked for that :) And i dont take anything said here in a bad way. I am new in the leather jackets and on this forum. Everyday i learn something new here from you all. For me now is a learning process. I started with the A2 and learned a lot from the VLJ forum. Then i found Fedora with more diverse jackets styles.
Like some said, in the end personal taste is what matters to each one but also a opinion and constructive critic should never be ignored as well as sometimes we may not have a notion that something is not quite right :)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yes true but i am 80kg and beer belly and is super tight on me on the belly area. I can barely zip it even if it doesnt look like in the photos haha
Unless i loose 10kg a size 40 would be better indeed. But then i would only wear it with just a tshirt below. Sometimes i like to throw a hoodie below too and size 40 would not work i think. Its hard to find a perfect fit jacket and this is my 2nd real leather jacket so i still have enough time to find a perfect one.

If you explain it like this, it sounds to me like this is not the right fit/pattern for you.

Which makes me wonder why you bought it. I guess you must have asked about measurements before buying right?

Not all patterns/designs are suited for all body types. I know an Aero Highwayman will never be a good fit for me because I have a relatively big chest and a slim waist. Same holds for a couple of other jackets. No matter how much I may like the design, fact is that some jackets are not suited for my build and will never be a good fit. Sizing up or down won't change that.

Serghei Velescu

Familiar Face
If you explain it like this, it sounds to me like this is not the right fit/pattern for you.

Which makes me wonder why you bought it. I guess you must have asked about measurements before buying right?

Not all patterns/designs are suited for all body types. I know an Aero Highwayman will never be a good fit for me because I have a relatively big chest and a slim waist. Same holds for a couple of other jackets. No matter how much I may like the design, fact is that some jackets are not suited for my build and will never be a good fit. Sizing up or down won't change that.
I tried to compare to my leather jackets i have home with the measurements from the websites and looked like to be a good match apart from sleeves which i kinda knew they will be a bit longer than i like. In the end it was more an impulse decision to go for it and hope it works well haha we live and learn! :)

TG3

One of the Regulars
Maybe at $200-$300 price range but at $1000+ tag, that simply ain't so.

This jacket is a 100% pure, dedicated luxury, fashion piece and sooner we start treating it as such & stop pretending it's not a high-street piece but some sort of rugged piece of work-wear instead, the better.

Quality aspect between different hides is as blurred as it gets. It's dead animal skin. Nobody made it. Good looking, quality leather can be sourced even at a cheapest tannery, as evidenced by countless vintage jackets out there. So that just isn't where the money goes.

Next we have stitching & make but this too also doesn't mean a thing as any highly experienced machinist will make you a good jacket. Operating a stitching machine itself is not an art, it's a trade.

So what is it exactly that we're paying such insane amounts of money for? Brand name. And, of course, guaranteed, perfect fit. Without it, this Freewheelers might've just as well ended up to be a particularly nice, I don't know, GAP. Y'know, they had a good year, sourced some great leather and of course it's well made, I mean, it's basically impossible for a skilled machinist to mess it up at this point. Also, quality control at big companies is really tight. . .

Nah, man, I'm not buying it. This isn't a tool. It's a suit or at least a part of it, a part of what it represents. So let's at least make it fit right.

All in all, I wouldn't be happy if my $2600 leather jacket fit anything short of perfect 'cause then I would just have to spend even more energy at forcing myself to pretend it's such a great jacket just because the brand tag is supposed to guarantee that it is, even tough I can plainly see that it's not and I am so very tired of doing that. . .

^This!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I tried to compare to my leather jackets i have home with the measurements from the websites and looked like to be a good match apart from sleeves which i kinda knew they will be a bit longer than i like. In the end it was more an impulse decision to go for it and hope it works well haha we live and learn! :)

Yep, unfortunately measurements only give an idea about fit but are never a guarantee. Also, there's tolerances. I have two ELMC Californians size 42 and they both have a somewhat different fit. One has slightly tighter upper arms, the other is tighter in the chest.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I had the opportunity to try a couple of FW jackets. I think they look great on others but on me, not so much imo.

Shoulders and upper sleeves are a bit wide for my taste.

AA2237D7-CB0E-4320-8BD5-3EC6E70A7022.jpeg

The La Brea is too long for me and the bottom hem too wide (I have no hips)

E031C907-8ACA-4031-8C77-4ABA622EB45F.jpeg

On the Speedmaster, the arm holes are too high in combination with too much material on the upper chest between the armholes.

Some people will say I'm nitpicking. Personally I think I have better fitting jackets and therefore, these FW designs/patterns are not for me.

2942FE27-1291-479B-94C5-83A794FC3595.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I have to agree Marc, those just aren't for you. Its very important that we learn what works for us and what doesn't. I really want a RMC j24 but from everything I can see, it just won't be a good fit for me at all so I won't buy one. I don't think the Freewheelers la Brea will work for me either even though I really want that.

The coolest jacket for you isn't the coolest individual jacket, but rather the one that fits you best andcloosk best on you.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No worries :) i expected from beggining that the sleeves will be a bit longer due to being size 42. But i hope with time they will shorten enough to look a bit better :)

Once again we can see how different tastes are. I think the sleeve length in your photos is really fine. Mine are always similarly long. I think the advantage of tight sleeves is that they work well both long and short.

MBT

New in Town
Pictures are showing frozen Moments , that means in Motion / in real live the Jacket and its fit looks different. Main Part of the Game not to be too crazy and do something for your shape if You are not satisfied . Marketing goes like this : You Think You look like this
image.png

but ;-)

image.png

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Pictures are showing frozen Moments , that means in Motion / in real live the Jacket and its fit looks different. Main Part of the Game not to be too crazy and do something for You shape if You are not satisfied . Marketing goes like this : You Think You look like this
View attachment 327431

but ;-)

View attachment 327432

Fun story: I was once sitting next to the lady doing costumes for "Skyfall" on a long haul flight. She informed me that for promo-pictures and "hero"-shots in the movie (i.e. close-up scenes with the main actors or scenes with little motion) they would size down up to two sizes from the normal clothing. "Looks much better", she stated, but would be totally impossible to move in an action scence. "That´s why people in the real world never look like James Bond.", she informed me.

Quite possible that this is one reason why I have my suits tailores, but not my outerwear...

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Fun story: I was once sitting next to the lady doing costumes for "Skyfall" on a long haul flight. She informed me that for promo-pictures and "hero"-shots in the movie (i.e. close-up scenes with the main actors or scenes with little motion) they would size down up to two sizes from the normal clothing. "Looks much better", she stated, but wouldn´t be totally impossible to move in an action scence. "That why people in the real world never look like James Bond.", she informed me.

Quite possible that this is one reason why I have my suits tailores, but not my outerwear...
I immediately went to my closet to take out my LVC James Bond skyfall jacket size xs. I can actually wear it and it looks ok from the front, but no room movement of course. That's so funny, that this is the reason why those outfits look so good in the movies.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I had the opportunity to try a couple of FW jackets. I think they look great on others but on me, not so much imo.

Shoulders and upper sleeves are a bit wide for my taste.

View attachment 327372

The La Brea is too long for me and the bottom hem too wide (I have no hips)

View attachment 327371

On the Speedmaster, the arm holes are too high in combination with too much material on the upper chest between the armholes.

Some people will say I'm nitpicking. Personally I think I have better fitting jackets and therefore, these FW designs/patterns are not for me.

View attachment 327382
that la brea kind of works for you, sure it has rounder shoulder but kinda works imo, maybe cinch in the belt a bit and it looks cool, that speed master doesn't work on you.
Fun story: I was once sitting next to the lady doing costumes for "Skyfall" on a long haul flight. She informed me that for promo-pictures and "hero"-shots in the movie (i.e. close-up scenes with the main actors or scenes with little motion) they would size down up to two sizes from the normal clothing. "Looks much better", she stated, but wouldn´t be totally impossible to move in an action scence. "That why people in the real world never look like James Bond.", she informed me.

cool! I saw a suit jacket with biswing back once on japanese drama tv series worn by office worker.:)

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stuart told me that this is a jacket meant to be very form-fitting in the torso and designed/built to be ridden with. Hence some of the design and pattern features. I can say that it is special on the bike. Off of it? You'll more likely find me wearing something else. :p

I can confirm it is special on the bike, it is my favourite LW while riding, just works better than the others for that. But I do also wear it walking, it just such a nice jacket :)

@Mich486 , I think it has grown in with most people. When I first saw it, I didn't like it at all, but with time spent in the leather jacket world, I have come to appreciate it and love it. I think something has to do with how the pattern is made in the originals, I prefer the leathertogs version over the Buco J31 or the Langlitz version of it.
It is one of those jacket that works so well - or so I believe - that it pushes many people beyond their usual boundaries when it comes to visual impact.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Fun story: I was once sitting next to the lady doing costumes for "Skyfall" on a long haul flight. She informed me that for promo-pictures and "hero"-shots in the movie (i.e. close-up scenes with the main actors or scenes with little motion) they would size down up to two sizes from the normal clothing. "Looks much better", she stated, but would be totally impossible to move in an action scence. "That´s why people in the real world never look like James Bond.", she informed me.

Even for in-motion shots they may binder clip the back of the garments to make them fit exactly how they want. Its kind of like using motor oil as pancake syrup in advertisements or shoving all ingredients to the front half of a fast food burger to make the porportions look way different than real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ