Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers Mulholland Alternative

natefreezy

New in Town
Hi all -

I’ve been looking at black leather jackets for a while now and am most taken with the FW Mulholland (style, quality, reputation). I’m also most drawn to Shinki tea core among all the leather options I’ve seen. That said, there are a few issues with the jacket:

1. Expensive - now well over $3k new in US
2. Hard to find - in point of fact, not something you can just buy today at all but will have to get on waiting list and then just wait around for an indefinite of time
3. Fit - given above, won’t be easy / potentially possible to try in advance. Obviously fit works great for some people but doesn’t for others

Given the above, I’m curious what people would recommend looking at as potential alternatives. Talking to Thurston about Thedi seems like one good option. Not sure I could get the Shinki or that they offer something exactly the same, but I’d guess I could get something in the ballpark.

I’m sure there are other options to consider as well, but maybe some of you have owned or tried the Mulholland and could opine.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lost Worlds CHP with some modifications. For starters I would request lighter horse, no belt loops or badge holder, and add chest pocket. You would also need to add back length and you would be damn close to the Mulholland.. Stuart is not always the easiest guy to work with, especially when you are modifying one of his treasured creations, and he tends to charge accordingly.
In the end, you might find yourself with a jacket that cost as much or more than the one you were trying to copy. it would be one hell of a jacket though!
Here’s a shot of mine with the detachable polar bear collar:

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 159

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hi all -

I’ve been looking at black leather jackets for a while now and am most taken with the FW Mulholland (style, quality, reputation). I’m also most drawn to Shinki tea core among all the leather options I’ve seen. That said, there are a few issues with the jacket:

1. Expensive - now well over $3k new in US
2. Hard to find - in point of fact, not something you can just buy today at all but will have to get on waiting list and then just wait around for an indefinite of time
3. Fit - given above, won’t be easy / potentially possible to try in advance. Obviously fit works great for some people but doesn’t for others

Given the above, I’m curious what people would recommend looking at as potential alternatives. Talking to Thurston about Thedi seems like one good option. Not sure I could get the Shinki or that they offer something exactly the same, but I’d guess I could get something in the ballpark.

I’m sure there are other options to consider as well, but maybe some of you have owned or tried the Mulholland and could opine.
You are paying for the name brand mainly and trend factor. Those jackets are not very labor intensive nor they have they come with expensive NOS hardware. Personally, I am not a fan of their HH. However, many people in this forum do like those Japanese hides. LW does make a nice jacket with top of the line construction methods and hide. However, is not cheap. Lastly, I LOVE David Sheeley's jackets. His works is at the top of my list. Here is the link to one of his post. He makes a jacket that he describes as an upgraded Mulholland. https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...ding-1930s-utility-jacket-builds.24539/page-2

Last edited:

Helix

Familiar Face
Field Leathers has a relatively new model called the Chicago which is very similar. I have one on order and I'm up for production but waiting to see if a few more leather options pop up. From what I've read, very good quality and Greg is a super cool guy but the current wait time may be a hurdle...

Attachments

• Chicago.jpg
    Chicago.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 175

Aloysius

FW Mulholland looks good but it's also the definition of hyped. The pigment Shinki is a fine leather but also no better than comparable hides.

Ultimately it's just a civilian CHP, and excellent CHPs are made by a number of makers, including (of course) the Californian makers like Johnson and Cal, Lost Worlds, Aero, and others.

If you're really keen on the black-finished Shinki in particular, a TFL member ordered a batch of it to Johnson. Call them and you can get exactly the jacket you're after, with considerably better fit.

natefreezy

New in Town
Thanks all!

Agreed the Sheeley looks nice. What’s Dave’s waitlist like at this point? He’s not too far from me.

I did chat a bit with Greg at Field Leathers, main negative is one year wait list, also no more customs.

The attached was my reference pic on the Mulholland.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpeg
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Since most suggestions have long long wait time.
You could get a exact copy from china, someone did a comparison between fw and the top chinese jacket makers here, and you can custom the size to fit you. You can even get Maryam hosrebutts, CFS kudu or different shinki if that is what u want.

Note: it's not cheap with duty and tax on top to import I would guess around 1400 to 1800 ish

Aloysius

It has a nicer look than a cal imo. And some of us don't want to walk around cop cosplaying. But it's also overhyped.

It's just a pocket/belt loop variant of a Cal. The CHP type isn't inherently a police jacket, so I fail to see how this would be "cop cosplaying". Projection?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Check out Eastman Leather's ELMC Highway Star. It's very similar, still expensive and high end and overhyped, but about half what you'd pay for the FW Mulholland.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
The Double Helix 'Hugging the Curve' jacket is about as close as I've seen to a cheaper (but still pretty expensive) replica of the FW Mulholland. Theyre made in Japan to a high standard, with teacore leather, its what I'd go for if I didnt prefer my actual Cal in every way. I had a Mulholland once for a short while and did not get on with it at all - really narrow wrist-holes, and overall just a really heavy and uncomfortable jacket which was a chore to wear

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
It's just a pocket/belt loop variant of a Cal. The CHP type isn't inherently a police jacket, so I fail to see how this would be "cop cosplaying". Projection?
It could be because of the badge holder feature? Although not all Cals have that.

The Mulholland is undoubtedly a high quality jacket but I greatly prefer the overall look of Cals. Can't quite articulate why though... there's just a kind of straightforward coolness about them. I've never gotten that kind of draw with the Mulholland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner