Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers San Mateo

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMG_20160711_145815171-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_150712077-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_150800269-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_151554449-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_151658019-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_152408556-1.jpg

Just received this Freewheelers San Mateo. Found this used one finally after searching and waiting for almost a year. A very tight fit because I have gone down one size to fit my shoulder and length. I have a round body with shoulder that is by Japanese standard a 36 but the chest of a 38. The fit of this is marginally wider than a RM Buco J-24 of the same size, only a small margin.

Last edited:
Very interesting and unique design! The front lapels look to be like those on very early aviator jackets. The back of the jacket is especially appealing to me. Very cool and certainly one of a kind. Fit looks perfect to me. A jacket like that has to fit very close. Nice pick up, congrats!

Blackadder

Very interesting and unique design! The front lapels look to be like those on very early aviator jackets. The back of the jacket is especially appealing to me. Very cool and certainly one of a kind. Fit looks perfect to me. A jacket like that has to fit very close. Nice pick up, congrats!
It is a repro of a 30s Peter's jacket. Here are some pics of the original.

IMG_20160711_220949015-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_220958275_HDR-1.jpg
IMG_20160711_221009305_HDR-1.jpg
IMG-20160711-WA0016-1.jpg

This is a fantastic jacket!
The lapels make it.
I've been eyeing a couple of vintage British jackets with similar scooped collars.
Congratulations!!!!!

Blackadder

Good thing FW uses Waldes which is much sturdier than the repro Talon on RM's jackets. Time to lose some weight.

I'm starring at this jacket again and really digging it...man between this and that CR you've definately got two of the coolest looking jackets I've ever seen...and easily the coolest back designs on the planet!

This one is something, alright. Lapels are interesting but I wouldn't be courageous enough for it. It's really nice when zipped up, though. What's with the side laces and belt loops, tho?

In any case, I still find the Twin Peaks the coolest jacket on the planet. Please post moar pics of it when you find time! :D

Blackadder

I'm starring at this jacket again and really digging it...man between this and that CR you've definately got two of the coolest looking jackets I've ever seen...and easily the coolest back designs on the planet!

Thank you. I also love the back designs very much. Need to order some beads to see how it looks then.

This one is something, alright. Lapels are interesting but I wouldn't be courageous enough for it. It's really nice when zipped up, though. What's with the side laces and belt loops, tho?

In any case, I still find the Twin Peaks the coolest jacket on the planet. Please post moar pics of it when you find time! :D

I am not sure about the belt loop. In the magazine photo, the original jacket is without belt loop but in the old photo you can see the guy in the back wearing a belt with the jacket. So I guess FW decides to have both. LOL. It will be a few months before a jacket is needed in this part of the world.

Blackadder

Very nice jacket..this is one of the jackets that I wished I could pull it off..
Thank you. You ought to try it if you haven't done so. Three of my friends also took the opportunity to try it on in Tokyo last month and two are now searching the Japanese auction site for one themselves.

Last edited:
Wished i have the opportunity to try it on
Don't we all. I have the same sentiment for so many jackets...That's just the thing. It's one of those jackets where you go all in. Definately a rare bird. I haven't seen one like it and if I found one in my size I'd probably jump, eyes closed, and hope I landed feet first.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That's one very unique jacket there. I seemed to recall seeing a guy at the Univeristy I attended wearing one of these around campus in the 90's, but I was never able to meet the person nor ask about the jacket, it was only a few times that I ever even saw it. Enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo