Freewheelers Switchyard coat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Colin G, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

Good day all.

I am am interested in a Freewheelers Switchyard coat in rude black and would like input from anyone here who has experience with one.

I would like to know if the bottom hem area of the jacket flares out like the Freewheelers Brakeman or Journeyman coats seem to do. I tried a Brakeman while in Japan recently, and liked it except for the flare out at the bottom, which is what kept me from buying it. I did not have the opportunity to try a Switchyard since I could not locate one in my size.

So, is there an aggressive bottom hem flare or no bottom hem flare on the Switchyard like the Brakeman? Does not seem as extreme to me.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    dudewuttheheck, Lebowski and Mawashi like this.
  2. Mawashi

Mawashi One of the Regulars

Unfortunately if the pictures on this post are correct, the switchyard like a lot of Japanese designs is rather A shaped
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/freewheelers-switchyard-coat-size-42.96101/

Either u go custom or Thedi / Himel might have something similar like these jackets
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9PfmEGJtNg/?igshid=1dnkaznh081vz
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5YSyctA2EB/?igshid=13mws4jvrmg4y

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Cornelius likes this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.

Ask @Guppy
    That's interesting how our tastes vary over here 'cause I'd definitely prefer FW Brakeman for the very same reason of slight A silhouette, I like that feature)
    Though Switchyard is a very interesting jacket too. Love FWs.

Colin G likes this.
  4. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

I was looking at that old thread last night. The Switchyard is hard to tell for me if it has that flare or not. With the Journeyman or Brakeman it seems more obvious.

None of my Rainbow Country jackets have that obvious flare as it is more subtle how the waist will narrow then broaden at the bottom hem.

The Brakeman ect seem to do it more aggressively. I don't mind the flare but I think it works better on taller people than shorter guys like me at only 5' 8".

Mawashi and Lebowski like this.
  5. Lebowski

You look nicely svelte, I mean you look enough tall because of your slim silhouette - so may wear Brakeman in its quite small size, it usually helps to fit Brakeman on such stylish people very balanced to show its main idea of flare really nice. Think twice, Brakeman looks unique, it's possibly one of the best FWs IMHO. At least, if speaking of their casual classic.

6. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

I did like the Brakeman quite a bit but felt it was just not quite right for me. The collar sits a bit high on them for my liking also. Kind of like how a shirt collar does rather than a jacket collar. I just really dig that Switchyard so much.

Lebowski likes this.
  7. Lebowski

Have understood you well mate, FW Switchyard is a stellar jacket too. All FW's aren't only jackets but are bits of fine art!
    You're lucky having had travel to Japan, it's a country of dreams to me too.

Mawashi likes this.
  8. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

I am also considering another Rainbow Country so it is a coin toss but I own and know RC so I am leaning more toward this one at the moment.

rcl10021h_1.jpg

Vs this.

s-l1600.jpg

Mawashi, navetsea, Guppy and 9 others like this.
  9. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

I think you can't go wrong with neither of them. Leather and blanket liner are similar. Even if I also like this RC design, I personally would prefer the FW Switchyard. My Brakeman is slightly A-shaped but not too much IMO (here's a picture) but don't know how the Switchyard would look like. I've been eyeing an almost new black Switchyard size 40 on Buyee for months.

upload_2020-4-18_19-57-50.png

handymike, Colin G, mtrlr and 6 others like this.
  10. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

Have you considered the RC Spider?
    [​IMG]

Mawashi and Cornelius like this.
  11. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

I own already. Just not pre weathered like above.

DSC_0038 (1).JPG

JDelage, JCSD, handymike and 7 others like this.
  12. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

13. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

Like that quite a bit. As a past owner of an RC Single Rider, I know they make a damn nice product. I assume you bought that online? So rare to see RC.

14. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

I bought it at Jelado (Clutch Cafe) while on vacation in Osaka a few months back. I have a Single Rider also and love it and have become a real fan of Rainbow Country. I own a few belts also and they are tough as nails.

Mawashi likes this.
  15. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lebowski likes this.
  16. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

The problem is that the Switchyard hasn't seem to have been made in a very long time so I doubt many people have experience with it. I haven't had a chance to try one on, but it does look less flared than the Brakeman and shorter so I would guess it would work well for you. I can't be sure though unfortunately.

Colin G likes this.
  17. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado A-List Customer

My LW J100 has a good bit of flare which can be seen in these photos. I found it strange at first and now I'm used to it. @Carlos840 Didn't you have a flared long cop jacket? 0526191445a-01.jpeg 1110191240-01.jpeg

mtrlr, dudewuttheheck, Guppy and 5 others like this.
  18. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

My DD J-100 has that same hourglass shape as yours:

[​IMG]

My Schott 602 is more of an A shape, which IMO looks a bit worst:

[​IMG]

I think it depends on your shape really, if you are super V shape, don't expect an A shape coat to be a great fit.
    If you are A shaped, then a super V shaped jacket is probably no the best call...

19. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado A-List Customer

I think that flare is original to the classic Buco pattern, however, it's clear some don't like it. I admit it is more yin than yang, but there is a place for that.