Freewheelers Switchyard coat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Guppy, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

It's more well-traveled than I am, for certain. If only I could have such an adventure... Perhaps I shall divert some of my jacket budget into travel...

2. Lebowski

Lebowski Practically Family

Well, I think you actually can - it's just a question of a choice between a wonderful overseas adventure or a couple of jackets to buy (in case of this Freewheelers - it would be enough funds for that good idea even from a single jacket possibly))
    So - it's up to you Sir. It's your choice!)

3. willyto

willyto Practically Family

I think this one it's definitely a keeper and one of the best if not the best in your collection.

Looks and fits you a lot better than that longer leather coat from SB.

Guppy likes this.
  4. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I coincidentally ran into this. I think it's a Californian. Close at least:

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/c635462128?conversionType=search_suggest

Lebowski likes this.
  5. Lebowski

6. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Oh, it's not even close. The Freewheelers is perfect, but I can't layer more than a thin sweater underneath. The Simmons Bilt is very nice, and can take a heavier layer under it with no problems. With a thick sweater, the sleeve length is less of a problem. And it's a heavier leather, which I like a lot. It's more of a heavy coat than a jacket. The Switchyard is more a jacket than a coat.

Lebowski and willyto like this.
  7. Lebowski

Switchyard is a winter/late cold autumn jacket, it implies to wear some good winter layering underneath.

8. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I don't know that it's worth arguing, but I don't really agree.

It's a thin leather, the lining isn't particularly warm, and it has no insulation to speak of. Based on the tagged size, it fits correctly, and it's a trim fit, not intended to have a lot of room for layering underneath. Like I said, I can manage a thin sweater or sweatshirt, but one of my bulky Irish cable knit sweaters, I don't think it's possible. Maybe if I were to size up to a 44, but I like the way the 42 fits me, it's perfect, I don't think I'd want to size up. But I'd certainly try one on if the opportunity ever presented itself. It's an absolutely wonderful light jacket though, easily my favorite of its type.

Lebowski and ton312 like this.
  9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Agreed. This is far more a jacket than a coat. It’s supposed to fit trim. It doesn’t look like it’s meant for layering at all, and nor should it be.

Guppy likes this.
  10. Cyber Lip

Cyber Lip Practically Family

I have a Switchyard and it's the warmest leather jacket I own. Don't agree that it's more jacket than coat. It's a winter/late fall coat. The lining is a medium wool blanket and the storm cuffs keep the heat in nicely. It's perfect for the winters here (Seattle), and looks great with scarves. Definitely not a light jacket. But yes, flattering to a physique but not made for layering anything heavy underneath. But, works great with a long sleeve thermal T or Henley over a T-shirt, or a hoodie, or a track jacket underneath. It's really a great look and comfy warm when worn like that. But if you live somewhere where you need something to spend time outdoors in blizzards and sub zero temps, it's not intended for that

Lebowski likes this.
  11. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I'm in Northeast Ohio, and our winters are different from the Pac NW. I'm OK in the Switchyard down to maybe 35F or so, below that I'd opt for something I can put a sweater under, or a parka.