Freewheelers Switchyard coat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Guppy, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I've had my eye on the Freewheelers Switchyard coat for quite a while now, probably over a year. I almost picked one up last year in a Yahoo Japan auction, but someone hit Buy It Now at $1800, and I missed my chance.

Memory is fuzzy, but I think that one was a size 44 in Dead Leaf Brown color, which I don't see near as much as I've seen Rude Black since. I don't know, but I wonder if the first year they offered the jacket, it was done in brown, and subsequently they've only produced in black. It looked like this year the only option was for black.

Since that auction I missed, I'd seen a few come up, but mostly in size 40 or smaller, and mostly for far too much money for my budget. Last month or so ago, I saw this one hit TFL Classifieds, but I passed on it due to, of all things, the chipped button. But when it came up again, I jumped on it.

I wasn't sure whether I'd be better in a 42 or 44 -- I go between both sizes, depending on the maker, the style, and the cut of the jacket. Sometimes I even wear a 40 or 46. But everything I've heard about Japanese clothing is that it tends to be cut smaller, befitting the stature of the average Japanese person. FW publish pretty specific measurements of their jacket in different sizes, and I still couldn't decide, but I thought probably a 44 would be better.

But this one is a 42, and boy does it fit me just about perfectly. I'll try to get some fit pics soon, but for now here's a few detail shots showing the labels, the grain of the Shinki leather.

I don't know how much it might have been worn before it came into my possession, but it doesn't appear to have been much, and it doesn't seem to have needed any break-in. It's super comfortable right out of the box. I note that the weight of the leather isn't terribly heavy, but despite my usual preference for heavy and super-heavy jackets, I really, really, really like this one. I think the main thing is just how perfect the fit is. Partly it's that I've been lusting after it for so long. And partly is that I got it for around 1/2 what they're selling for new. Which is still more than I've spent on any other jacket I've owned.

I still wouldn't mind finding another in Dead Leaf Brown, but it'll be a while before I can think about dropping that kind of cash on something.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Fit pics when I have some. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

While I was on the hunt for this one, I also tried a Schott 569 Retro North County Car Coat, but found that the L was made for someone well over 6' tall, and couldn't wear it. If you're taller, it might be a good alternative to this, very similar in style, and good leather and build quality, but about 1/3 the price.

4. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

The leather on this thing is amazing, and i really REALLY like the collar shape.
    IMO it is the coolest of the longer coats we see around here, you did well.
    Can't wait for the fit pics!

5. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

I’m not into leather coats in general but boy this looks nice! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Practically Family

As far as I know this jacket is a modern japenese repro of 1920s-1930s american leather jacket.
    Does anybody know how exactly the original pattern was looking?
    Who was its original maker (or possibly there were several original makers) then?
    Maybe Terry might help with that?
    It'd be very interesting to me to know the history of this pattern or/and to have a link to read about that in detail. Thanks in advance.
    P.S. The leather on this repro looks very nice, Shinki HH in all its glory!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    nick123 and jonesy86 like this.
  7. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great score Guppy. Congrats! Looking forward to fit pics.

ProteinNerd and Guppy like this.
  8. Cyber Lip

Cyber Lip Practically Family

I have one of these too and love it

Guppy likes this.
  9. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

Aero needs to do something with a collar like this. This collar tells all the other collars where to sit down.

Guppy likes this.
  10. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Very nice.

11. zebedee

We demand an Aero with a collar like this (but not the rockabilly).

ton312 likes this.
  12. zebedee

I'd get one straight off the bat. Those collars are much better than the typical longer Aero coat collars. As long as they kept the cut Western (for fat Gaijin, Guilao, Laowei, Bulay and Weigookin), I'd be in.

13. Lebowski

It'd be great to look at some fit pics!

ton312 likes this.
  14. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Y
    Yep! Let’s see some fit pics!!

15. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Ok.

These are selfie stick shots, but it's the best I can do right now. I'll try to get some more soon.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

I think it fits you very well, sleeves and all ;) it’s a really nice jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guppy likes this.
  17. Lebowski

[​IMG]

Sloan1874 and Guppy like this.
  18. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I can see through the selfie stick and say with confidence this is a great fit. Looks awesome man! Well done!

Sloan1874, Lebowski and Guppy like this.
  19. 58panheadfan

58panheadfan A-List Customer

It is nice to see that this jacket found a good new home after a journey from Japan to Switzerland then to Honkong and now to the USA. The jacket fits you perfectly, wear it in good health :)

Guppy likes this.
  20. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

That is one ace jacket! The design, leather, and workmanship are all incredible! I also noticed that the sleeves have the same lining that my Dead Leaf Brown Caboose jacket has.

Great fit as well. Looks perfect from what I can see.

Guppy likes this.