Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for recommendations for bomber/moto racer mash

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, that's good to know also.

Is this a general rule of thumb I can apply to most jackets?
Shiny = Need to break in
Soft = Matte

No I'm just talking about this jacket. (Same goes for the Schott 118 vs 613/618)/

Himitsu

New in Town
Ah fair enough then.

I was looking at the 641 and 141 and seen people on this forum saying one is one size down compared to the other.

I sent a customer service request with that question and waiting on a response at the moment.

I'm around 42" chest size (I think it was 41 1/2" on the measuring tape) and my sleeve length is around 24 1/4".

The size fitting tool on Schott's site recommends Large for size.

Aloysius

I was looking at the 641 and 141 and seen people on this forum saying one is one size down compared to the other.
Correct. 641/618/613 are tagged one size bigger than 141/118 of the same measurements. The general rule is to go up a size for the 600, or true to your chest measurement for the 100.

The size fitting tool on Schott's site recommends Large for size.

Schott’s sizing tool is great but why would it tell you large when the 141/641 come in numbered sizing?

Himitsu

New in Town
I'm not sure, that's what it says for me anyways. It asks you to enter height, weight, chest size and age then says Size L.

Aloysius

I'm not sure, that's what it says for me anyways. It asks you to enter height, weight, chest size and age then says Size L.

There literally is not a Size L for it to pick. Do you mean you were checking the 654?

From your measurements, you'd be 42 in 141, 44 in 641, and L in 654. Note that the 641/141 will be much more comfortable due to the bi-swing and underarm footballs.

Himitsu

New in Town
That's odd, now it says size with a number with the fitting tool. Maybe it was a bug or with another jacket model I was checking out, maybe the 654 actually haha.

So it seems like the 141 might be the better choice since it seems to be a more relaxed fit vs the 641 being a slimmer fit. I just heard people saying Schott customer support usually recommends one size up vs the recommended with fit size tool and people on this forum recommending the opposite, one size down.

I do have a tendency to layer under a coat or jacket, usually just a hoodie most of the time.

Both 141 and 641 seem to have everything I'd want in a racer jacket, the underarm footballs, bi-swing, front pockets. Except maybe the double zipper at the front I guess, would be nice if that was an option.

Aloysius

So it seems like the 141 might be the better choice since it seems to be a more relaxed fit vs the 641 being a slimmer fit.
The 641 is not a “slimmer fit”. It’s just labeled differently so add one to size.

The 641 in 44 is exactly the 141 in 42 except for the leather, which is stiff and shiny on 641, soft and matte on 141.
I do have a tendency to layer under a coat or jacket, usually just a hoodie most of the time.

I would not size up for this because the jacket is already sized to accommodate the zip in fleece layer.

Himitsu

New in Town
Awesome, that sounds good.

Well I think I have enough info to make a choice. I'll probably go with a Schott 141 or Vanson Model B.

Only worry I have now is the fit in general but maybe in the sleeve length I guess. Is there anywhere that is mentions all measurements for either of those jackets? I didn't see anything like that on the Schott website, probably just blind lol.

And is it me or pictures on their website, the 141 looks shinier than the 641?

Aloysius

Sleeve length isn’t that much of an issue on these jackets because the zipper locks it in place.

Himitsu

New in Town
Fair enough, that doesn't sound too bad at all, worse I could see for sleeves would be a bit more creasing I imagine.

I think my two last questions (for real this time lol):

1. Naked cowhide (141) vs steerhide (641), I read that the steerhide on the 641 has a finish that is better in wet weather and is less susceptible to stains as a result as well. Should I be concerned that much about that? I do plan on wearing the jacket pretty much all year long except of course when it gets too hot or too cold.

2. As for maintenance, I see Schott has some accessories for that. What does general maintenance look like for a leather jacket? And how often would one have to do something?

Aloysius

1. Naked cowhide (141) vs steerhide (641), I read that the steerhide on the 641 has a finish that is better in wet weather and is less susceptible to stains as a result as well. Should I be concerned that much about that? I do plan on wearing the jacket pretty much all year long except of course when it gets too hot or too cold.

I wouldn't be too concerned about either across the seasons. These are both water resistant chrome tanned hides. The naked hide is not as waterproof as the coated steerhide, but it'll still keep you dry.

2. As for maintenance, I see Schott has some accessories for that. What does general maintenance look like for a leather jacket? And how often would one have to do something?

Nothing. Maybe hit it with some Vaseline in 15 years.

Himitsu

New in Town
Perfect! Thanks a lot everyone. All the help is very much appreciated!

I think I'll go with either one of the Schott when I'm ready to order. I'll be on the lookout for sales and maybe have a look on Ebay and such.

Aloysius

Perfect! Thanks a lot everyone. All the help is very much appreciated!

I think I'll go with either one of the Schott when I'm ready to order. I'll be on the lookout for sales and maybe have a look on Ebay and such.

DMing a deal I saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner