Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers worth it

Saila

New in Town
Hi everyone I have been wanting to buy freewheelers bodie in black is it worth it. Or should I think about it

jeo

One Too Many
You should think about it and decide if it is worth it to you.
+1

Subjective to individual taste and preferences.

For me they are worth it.

Regarding the Bodie model, it is very short in the back and that might not be to everyone’s liking. I find myself needing to either tuck my shirts in which I don’t typically do or wear shorter shirts.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
They are high quality but in my very limited experience (have only handled one IRL) they do not live up to their social media hype. At almost twice the price of Thedi, I would rate them to be similar quality with a slight edge to Thedi.
If they have a design or a type of leather that you really like that you can’t get elsewhere and you have the budget for it, why not? Just don’t expect something out of this world. It’s only a jacket when all is said and done.

barnabus

One Too Many
Hi everyone I have been wanting to buy freewheelers bodie in black is it worth it. Or should I think about it

Doesn't matter what the item is that you're considering, if this is the question you're asking then the answer is no.

The only thing that makes something worth it is how much you want it.

If you don't want it enough to have done it already, it isn't worth it.

Saila

New in Town
Thank you for your input. One more question does the (bodie jacket) freewheelers jacket In general get out the teacore faster.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
They're great but they're all wool-lined and not the greatest for warmer weather, so keep that in mind. They're also cut to fit a certain body type (skinny w/proportionately wide shoulders, narrow chest, and long-ish arms). Even if the measurements look like a good fit for you on paper they don't tell the whole story... they've got very high armholes, so they really work best on fellas with not a lot of meat on their arms n torso. I've had a couple (switchyard, brakeman, journeyman) but eventually sold them

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really cannot rush the Teacore process! :)

Attachments

• 1679105048284.png
    1679105048284.png
    372 KB · Views: 127

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your input. One more question does the (bodie jacket) freewheelers jacket In general get out the teacore faster.

They have a variety of leathers. I have only ever handled one FW in the flesh, and that one doesn’t teacore fast. The leather is dyed as “Vintage Black”
I remember a thread of the past where the variants have been discussed (black, fade to brown; black, fade to red etc: they have names like “Rude Black” or “Black Jack”, but I don’t remember the details.), and some seem to lose the top layer pretty fast.

On the more general question: I really like my Mulholland, but I have to say it took me a while to fall in love. It’s an expensive jacket, so I was hesitant to put it to “real use” without thinking of the prize.
For me it’s now “worth it”, but I will echo the sentiment re the wool-liner: it’s really not suitable for warmer weather.

Saila

New in Town

They have a variety of leathers. I have only ever handled one FW in the flesh, and that one doesn’t teacore fast. The leather is dyed as “Vintage Black”
I remember a thread of the past where the variants have been discussed (black, fade to brown; black, fade to red etc: they have names like “Rude Black” or “Black Jack”, but I don’t remember the details.), and some seem to lose the top layer pretty fast.

On the more general question: I really like my Mulholland, but I have to say it took me a while to fall in love. It’s an expensive jacket, so I was hesitant to put it to “real use” without thinking of the prize.
For me it’s now “worth it”, but I will echo the sentiment re the wool-liner: it’s really not suitable for warmer weather.
Thank you for your input I have been eyeing on bodie which is in stock. I know freewheelers are very hard to get. I think the wool liner is the similar to the rainbow country jackets

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m going to be frank. I don’t think you should get the jacket in question. It seems like you’re chasing a brand concept and buzzwords. This will never result in a satisfying purchase. You might come back around to it in the future, but for now it’s not the right choice.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I feel like (some of the) Freewheelers jackets are too perfect, they're over-engineered. The Japanese use fancy construction techniques that make a jacket look 'cleaner' but by doing so they take the character out of the jacket.

Maybe other people won't notice these subtle differences and even if they did they might not care, but for me this is the reason why I don't wear my FW jacket all that much. I feel like it lacks character.

Their Peters and Leathertogs repros are really good though. They did a terrific job reproducing the original fits while incorporating all their elaborate details, including true to original construction techniques.

A55FF97F-10AD-4BC0-BAB3-3C5C3E8EA7A7.jpeg

FL vs FW

On the right it shows they used the 'butterfly' technique to flatten the halfbelt seam. Too fancy for a workwear style jacket imo.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
They're great but they're all wool-lined and not the greatest for warmer weather, so keep that in mind. They're also cut to fit a certain body type (skinny w/proportionately wide shoulders, narrow chest, and long-ish arms). Even if the measurements look like a good fit for you on paper they don't tell the whole story... they've got very high armholes, so they really work best on fellas with not a lot of meat on their arms n torso. I've had a couple (switchyard, brakeman, journeyman) but eventually sold them
I wish the arms arms were longish on the Mulholland I bought last year.

It must just be me … but they were a good inch (plus) too short. To be fair, it’s a problem I’ve found with all the Japanese brands so far … sleeves are too short (for me).

I feel like (some of the) Freewheelers jackets are too perfect, they're over-engineered. The Japanese use fancy construction techniques that make a jacket look 'cleaner' but by doing so they take the character out of the jacket.

Maybe other people won't notice these subtle differences and even if they did they might not care, but for me this is the reason why I don't wear my FW jacket all that much. I feel like it lacks character.

Their Peters and Leathertogs repros are really good though. They did a terrific job reproducing the original fits while incorporating all their elaborate details, including true to original construction techniques.

View attachment 499069
FL vs FW

On the right it shows they used the 'butterfly' technique to flatten the halfbelt seam. Too fancy for a workwear style jacket imo.

Oh yeah, the butterfly technique. So annoying. ;)

Jokes and my lack of construction knowledge aside— I agree. They don’t call to me like other makers. They now rarely make me pause to look at on IG or here. To me, there is something way too artificial about them. Too contrived. But hey, I love LW and plenty of people have different issues with that maker.

58panheadfan

One Too Many

View attachment 499069
FL vs FW

That's what makes FW so special for me, this "fancy" laser stitch perfection. The jackets give the wearer a flair of luxury. I absolutely love my Brakeman and La Brea. The jackets developed fantastic wrinkles in no time. I'm also a big fan of the (earlier) Shinki HH. But as mentioned, not for everyone...

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I wish the arms arms were longish on the Mulholland I bought last year.

It must just be me … but they were a good inch (plus) too short. To be fair, it’s a problem I’ve found with all the Japanese brands so far … sleeves are too short (for me).
it could also be me, maybe my arms are just short. the FW I've had were all about half an inch too long in the sleeves

Just don’t go for the undercoating or upgraded floor mats. The minute you drive it off the lot, you’ve lost half of what you paid.
Just be absolutely sure you are getting what you want!

Personally they are not worth the asking price for me. The elaborate and intricate detail and almost delicate look of most their stuff becomes too far removed from the source material to look genuine. That’s not to say they aren’t beautiful jackets, but they look very far removed from the true vintage pieces they emulate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko