Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuff shirts

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just so Happens

Today.

(Probably most days)

cuff.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Zach R. said:
What is the consensus on Paul Frederick? They are a pretty decent brand I presume? Are the shirts durable/do they wear well?

I have six French cuff shirts from them - let's see... three years old, weekly wear, no problems. And I bought the lower end, "buy two get one free" jobs.
That's a Paul Frederick up there /\.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Paul Frederick Quality...

They're pretty good- I still have two of their "Cary Grant Model" shirts- button down collar with french cuffs- that I bought about two years ago. I 've worn them quite a bit and they still look pretty good.
They have also recently been offering custom shirts- you choose options for fabric, collars, cuffs, etc. I haven't tried that, but its worth a look.

Baron Kurtz mentioned some difficulty with their shirts in another thread, so he might have a different opinion of their quality...

Scotrace- lookin' pretty sharp there, Amigo! What's that watch your sportin'? Looks pretty retro!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear French (double cuff) shirts most of the time.

My single cuff, buttoned shirts are gradually being phased out through natural selection!! Most of my shirts now are double cuffed. I tend to lightly starch my shirts too so that they hold the creases better in the arms and just generally look crisper!

I liked the Aster & Turnbull shots, but personally, I'd have tied a Windsor knot in the ties, as that's a knot I tend to wear in my ties (not everyone likes to have that flamboyance, but I did like Edward VIII's [the one who gave up the throne for the American Divorcee] flair for fashion!! and he was the one to popularise this Windsor Knot, as in "HRH The Duke of Windsor").

With a jacket, I also like to have a shortened sleeve so that the cuff shows by about 3/4 inch. Just looks sharp!! It's all in the small details gents :)

Paul Frederick ...

Flitcraft said:
Baron Kurtz mentioned some difficulty with their shirts in another thread, so he might have a different opinion of their quality...

Naah, i've never encountered Paul Frederick stuffs. My issue was with the quality of cotton in Paul Stuart shirts.

I love double cuffs ... and have a hankering for single cuffs built for cuff links.

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Flitcraft said:
I still have two of their "Cary Grant Model" shirts- button down collar with french cuffs

Nearly all of the arbiters of men's style denounce the BD FC. Cary seems to have gotten special dispensation. I like the look.

Here CG is breaking two "rules" in one look. BD FC shirt with DB jacket. Yet, I think it looks good.
1-p21.jpg

This, i guess (does anyone know?) is due to the perceived informality of the button down collar. Matched with a formal cuff type, the shirt becomes in some people's eyes "neither fish nor fowl"; A half and half effort; a mongrel if you will; that is neither formal nor informal but in some limbo (and, it would appear, Purgatory) between the two. Such formality judgements are quite silly in the long run. As Cary Grant proves quite well in that pic.

bk

Flitcraft

One Too Many
CG- founding member of the Order of the BD FC....

I agree, Cary Grant makes the Button Down collar with French Cuffs look pretty sharp, even with a Double Breasted suit! Personally, I think it looks better with a Single Breasted suit, but hey, if you can look as good as Mr. Grant, go for it!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
This, i guess (does anyone know?) is due to the perceived informality of the button down collar. Matched with a formal cuff type, the shirt becomes in some people's eyes "neither fish nor fowl"; A half and half effort; a mongrel if you will; that is neither formal nor informal but in some limbo (and, it would appear, Purgatory) between the two. Such formality judgements are quite silly in the long run. As Cary Grant proves quite well in that pic.

bk

I think that you've provided an accurate assessment of the arbiters rationale, BK.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Flitcraft said:
but hey, if you can look as good as Mr. Grant, go for it!

CG made some interesting choices. In my estimation these choices were made, in part, to tweak the stuffed shirts.

10-p23.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think French Cuffs are obscenely sexy

Sorry to intrude, gentlemen, but I saw a link on French Cuffs and couldn't resist. I have about 6 FC shirts myself, and I tailor them to fit me.

Have any of you guys thought about that, having dress shirts made? The patterns are fairly simple, and if you have a friend that sews (or yourself) you can generaly get a real nice piece(s), made to your body for pretty much the same dough as one from the store. Only you get to pick the fabric, and details ;)

I think all fellas should wear FC. It would make my world a better place at least.

LD

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I wear french cuff shirts as often as I can. They're great!
Actually, I had a shirt made in Taiwan from this blue oxford fabric with a button-down collar. The tailor must have misunderstood me or something, but he put single-barrel french cuffs on the shirt. How are you supposed to wear these? I'm using silk knots and stuck them in across but it feels a bit loose.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Ghos7a55assin said:
I wear french cuff shirts as often as I can. They're great!
Actually, I had a shirt made in Taiwan from this blue oxford fabric with a button-down collar. The tailor must have misunderstood me or something, but he put single-barrel french cuffs on the shirt. How are you supposed to wear these? I'm using silk knots and stuck them in across but it feels a bit loose.

Convertible cuffs are always a bit looser than a FC as you don't have the extra fold of fabric. Small, light cufflinks work best.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Sorry to intrude, gentlemen, but I saw a link on French Cuffs and couldn't resist. I have about 6 FC shirts myself, and I tailor them to fit me.

Have any of you guys thought about that, having dress shirts made? The patterns are fairly simple, and if you have a friend that sews (or yourself) you can generaly get a real nice piece(s), made to your body for pretty much the same dough as one from the store. Only you get to pick the fabric, and details ;)

I think all fellas should wear FC. It would make my world a better place at least.

LD

Well, do we need any more incentive than that? :)

Zach R.

Practically Family
Now THIS is a very interesting shirt:
SCPYRS_2.jpg

I don't know what it is about it, but I really like the look. I couldn't afford the tie and cufflinks, though, yikes! I guess I'm spoiled, but I can't see myself paying over 130 bucks for just one tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran