Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuff shirts

jay_b

Familiar Face
Is there anyone here that likes to wear a French cuffed shirt with their suit?

I'm really starting to like the look of them. Maybe it's a little too much of a gangster look for some. But I think a nice striped shirt with that plain white collar is a different but nice look.

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Yeah of course.....The only nice dress shirts that i own (in my opinion) are french cuff shirts. I only have one pair of cuff links but i think they look fine with both of the shirts. I don't think French cuffs are to gangster lookin', from what i've seen, in a lot of the movies from the 30's and 40's, most of the men have french cuffs....they look great!

Plus the collar adds the extra touch.

ortega76

Practically Family
French cuff shirts are so elegant andversatile that they should be part of every man's wardrobe. Some can give the "gangster" image, but judicious selection of color or pattern could really liven a suit or sportcoat. A french cuff shirt instead of button cuff shirt with a blazer looks a tad more dapper (especially if paired with blue jeans).

I love Charles Tyrwhitt for french cuff shirts. You might also try Paul Frederick for a few less expensive but still impressive offerings. Try a pattern like stripes or a solid pink! Solid pink french cuff shirts paired with a great suit (khaki, navy or even black) are the stuff that make women swoon! My wife would agree with me!

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
PARTIAL QUOTE, (ONLY FIRST ¬? OF TWO ¬? POST IS QUOTED)
jay_b said:
Is there anyone here that likes to wear a French cuffed shirt with their suit?
:arated:

Given what seems to me to be the prevailing, and predominant political bent of the FL; shouldn't the term for these articles of clothing be FREEDOM cuffed shirts? You have my vote...

:drum: :deadhorse :drum:

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Single "French" cuffs

Why are non-folded shirts for cufflinks so difficult to get? I like them because they are a bit less conspicuous than double cuffs.

I remember reading somewhere to my astonishment that those were the most formal cuffs, more so than normal French cuffs and button cuffs.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Katt in Hat said:
Given what seems to me to be the prevailing, and predominant political bent of the FL; shouldn't the term for these articles of clothing be FREEDOM cuffed shirts? You have my vote...

:drum: :deadhorse :drum:

Personally I've always referred to them as "Double cuffs."

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Katt in Hat said:
shouldn't the term for these articles of clothing be FREEDOM cuffed shirts? You have my vote...

What a BS! (Excuse my Freedom.)

Disclaimer I didn' take you seriously.;)

I know Katt was being sarcastic about the Freedom Cuffs - please re-read his post.

Anyway, I think I only have two dress shirts that aren't French cuffed. How can any man not like the idea of cufflinks? We have so little opportunity to accessorize - the tie, pocket silk, and cufflinks- and that's about it.

I stick to solids because I like the shirt to be a background for the tie and cufflinks and not fight for attention. A canvas, if you will. What I never liked are the shirts solids/stripes that have white cuffs and collar - too 80's Mafiosa for my taste - and if you want to avoid the gangster look you would do well to refrain from wearing those shirts.

Regards,

Senator Jack

ortega76

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Anyway, I think I only have two dress shirts that aren't French cuffed. How can any man not like the idea of cufflinks? We have so little opportunity to accessorize - the tie, pocket silk, and cufflinks- and that's about it.

I stick to solids because I like the shirt to be a background for the tie and cufflinks and not fight for attention. A canvas, if you will. What I never liked are the shirts solids/stripes that have white cuffs and collar - too 80's Mafiosa for my taste - and if you want to avoid the gangster look you would do well to refrain from wearing those shirts.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I agree that cufflinks are a great opportunity to accessorize. Perhaps the best opportunity for displaying whimsy without looking like a buffoon. So many men try to display a sense of humor with a Bugs Bunny tie, but that just looks. . .stupid. I have a pair of inexpensive cufflinks with Varga Pin-ups and the reaction I get from people who notice is phenomenal. I don't point them out but people are so unused to seeing cufflinks that they tend to scrutinze those details. So I use it to display a sense of humor or subtlety or taste.

I concur that I typically dislike white collared shirts, but I do like the classic white collar and blue body shirt. It's pretty classic.

jay_b

Familiar Face
Cool! The reason I brought it up is because I really don't see anyone around my area wear them. Even when I go to the city and the more classy dives, everyone's sense of style and class seems to be the $29.95 Sears special shirt. What the hell is that!

I see the odd person on TV wear them but I thought that maybe it was lost to the general public. And for the record, I never doubted for a minute that you fellow lounge members would lack any class. You all are a classy bunch.

Cheers!;)

221b

Familiar Face
French cuffs

I will now only wear French cuffs with my suits. I think they make you stand above the crowd. Dont the English call them Double Cuffs or are they different altogether?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
221b said:
I will now only wear French cuffs with my suits. I think they make you stand above the crowd. Dont the English call them Double Cuffs or are they different altogether?

I certainly do, as noted above.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Senator Jack said:
What I never liked are the shirts solids/stripes that have white cuffs and collar - too 80's Mafiosa for my taste - and if you want to avoid the gangster look you would do well to refrain from wearing those shirts.

SJ, here's my Turnbull&Asser gangster look.

Shoes507.jpg

Shoes503.jpg

shindeco

A-List Customer
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Why are non-folded shirts for cufflinks so difficult to get? I like them because they are a bit less conspicuous than double cuffs.

I remember reading somewhere to my astonishment that those were the most formal cuffs, more so than normal French cuffs and button cuffs.

They're only formal when on a boiled shirt.

In the 50s and 60s they sold a lot of "convertible cuffs" which were a single cuff with both a button and a second button hole. I've had a few of those. I would point out that you're limited as to cuff link choice because they're not as sturdy. If you like heavy cuff links, not the best choice.

My response to the topic:
I love French cuffs and wear them as often as possible.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
shindeco said:
I would point out that you're limited as to cuff link choice because they're not as sturdy. If you like heavy cuff links, not the best choice.

Yes, they work best with a lightweight, double sided cuff link, in a precious metal or enamel.

ortega76

Practically Family
If you are looking for inexpensive shirts with convertible cuffs, Lucasini makes some poly/cotton blends for around $24. Head down to the storefronts in predominantly Black areas. The places that do a bumper business with Stacy Adams stuff. At least, that's where I see them in Chicago (places like the South Side or Harvey, IL). As a bonus, you can usually buy the shirts in packaged sets with tie and pocket square.

221b

Familiar Face
Inexpensive shirt

You could aslo try JCPenney online. Stafford brand: Cotton/Poly blend, wrinkle-free, spread or point collar, Double cuffs for 19.99+ tax and shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran