Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Cuffs

Lancealot

Practically Family
I just picked up a shirt with French cuffs. This is a first for me and I was wondering about when to wear it. I.e. is it appropriate for just regular everyday wear or is it more for semi-formal or formal wear.

Thanks for you advice.

Lancealot

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I wear french cuffs just as often as regular cuffs...I worry more about the shirt matching the rest of my outfit than whether it has french cuffs or not...I don't think it's too big a deal

as far as following "the rules", I can't really comment on that because I don't really know "the rules"...That said, I have gotten nothing but compliments on my shirts with french cuffs

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I personally only wear french cuff with suit and tie, I wouldn't wear a french cuff shirt with jeans but maybe that's just me!

Now you can go mad and pick up lots of cufflinks ;)

Lancealot

Practically Family
Smithy said:
I personally only wear french cuff with suit and tie, I wouldn't wear a french cuff shirt with jeans but maybe that's just me!

Now you can go mad and pick up lots of cufflinks ;)

I was thinking just with suit or sport coat.

I've already been eyeing some auctions for cufflinks. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Some would say that a FC shirt should only be worn with a suit but I wear them with blazers and sportcoats as well.

As for cufflinks, make sure to get double-sided links.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually only wear FCs when I'm A.) dressed to impress or B.) attending an event, wearing a suit. But hey, you can wear them while mowing your lawn if you're comfortable in them. They're really just another form of cuff. Think of them as if they were another type of collar. Would you wear a spread collar with blazer and slacks? Sure, why not. It's more or less your own style, your own communication to the fashion conscious.

I've had pretty good luck with cufflinks on the bay. For the most part, I pick things based on how they look rather than when they were made or what they're made of. Granted, you probably don't want to waste money on a shoe box full of cheap cracker jack cufflinks, but don't necessarily shy away from a pair (or pairs) just because they're not 24k gold.

Just my .02

ps - double sided links are better, they're more appealing but they're not always easy to find, at least not as easy as one sided. Single sided links can be just as appealing; again, it's preference.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was wearing suits I'd wear french cuffs whenever I had the yen. As mentioned, it should be with a suit as without a jacket it looks a bit too fancy.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
About half of my long-sleeved shirts are FC and I enjoy wearing them sans tie and/or suit. No fallout yet, and plenty of compliments. For me it's a way to class up the look on the more casual days.

Go fer it!

Marc

Chaps

One of the Regulars
I agree with the others who said to wear FC anytime you want. I have a lot of FC shirts and though, I mainly wear them with a suit, I will also wear them casual. As for cufflinks, go to antiques stores. Most of them are stocked full of cufflinks and can be had for very little coin. I have bought vintage Swank cufflinks for $4 - $15.

Chaps

Fredo

New in Town
Well raise my rent - I am wearing French Cuffs* right now! Even in this industry everyone else wears "business casual" which I detest. I wear French Cuff shirts almost every day to work (with or without a tie/jacket). As stated before in this thread it definitely classes up your attire. When I go out on the town it is always in FCs. When I hit the local saloon, I may tone it down with silk knots but more often then not, it will be silver or gold "gemelli de camicia" per me.

*today it is a blue/white thin bengal stripe cotton shirt with french cuffs and spreadcollar from TM Lewin of Jermyn Street London. Cufflinks are Sterling silver double knots also from TM Lewin.

Feraud

Bartender
The French Cuff is a sharp detail like a tie clip or pocket square that dresses
up an outfit. I see little problem with a casual outfit that uses these cuffs.

Jefferson Smith

New in Town
I just got my first french cuff shirt and took it in to the cleaners to get pressed, and when I got it back, I noticed the double cuff was pressed flat instead of folded and pressed... Is this correct or have these cleaners just never seen a french cuff shirt before?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jefferson Smith said:
I noticed the double cuff was pressed flat instead of folded and pressed...
I prefer to have them pressed flat but some launderers will fold, press (often sloppily) and clip the cuffs (leaving an unsightly indentation :( ).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The only thing to consider with the FC is whether you plan to roll your sleeves up on a regular basis. It's just a little bit more of an operation to take the cuff links off, stash them in your pocket, and roll up your sleeves. Then you go through the process in reverse. Being indescribably lazy, it bugs me to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner