Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Designer-30's Inspired

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
the lapels look like something out of the '70s
Still more fashionably relevant than the '30s. [huh]

Tailor Tom said:
And if you question the pink, then don't even look at it.
I don't question the pink, only its appropriateness for most of us. It would work only as part of a very well thought out personal vibe. André 3000 yes. Craig Ferguson no.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
_350pinkcomposition.jpg

"That chiffon Scarf is a bit much! do admit?"

0.jpg

Rupert Everett in "Another Country"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
the scarf is the bit I like the best! [huh]

I'd wear it, anyway.
I can see it now.....tied upon your wrist.......right above that big honking Rolex......:p

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Make you think

They are all very well thought out, I believe. Yes, they push the envelope, but that is what most "fashion" designers do. People will take style ques from them, and rarely will you see it in full regale. I admired all of the designs, and all for different bits-n-pieces. He shows great detail.

So, they made you think.....that is always a good thing.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
SlimP, giving the woman's perspective- these three combinations posted here look like a million bucks-each!! Sigh...:) I'd hate to use that very tired ladies on FL word, but yeah- swoon... You'd look great in every one of these looks, Sir! Ah, to be the woman on the man's arm being squired about town when he's confident enough to be this well dressed. Show us the cuff links you'd choose for each of these outfits, as you have a fabulous collection. Though I'd like to see a print pocket square for the beige linen jacket, and maybe a bolder tie ...

Slim Portly said:
I love these looks and would wear them in a heartbeat:

FLANELLEGANSEE2.jpg

PRINCEDEGALLES.jpg

lainelinsoiebeige.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
This pink jacket would be perfect for the Art Deco Society's Gatsby Summer Afternoon. Worn with the right other pieces, this might garner the wearer the Best Dressed Gentleman's award.

Baron Kurtz said:
you'd need to be pretty confident to wear some of his stuff, i'll say that.

I really like this, especially the neck scarf. With a normal shirt, this would be a great summer look. Only €700!

_350pinkcomposition.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
That gray glen plaid suit is about the most toned down item he has, but I do like the cream suit with brown trim, its got a great sense of panache.

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
you'd need to be pretty confident to wear some of his stuff, i'll say that.

I really like this, especially the neck scarf. With a normal shirt, this would be a great summer look. Only €700!

_350pinkcomposition.jpg

The neck scarf gives it a bit of a Quentin Crips vibe, I'd say.... and few men were or are as confident aboutg their wardrobe as he! When first I looked at it, I thought "that'd be nice in a baby blue or an emereld green", but the more I look at it the more I like the pink too. Absolutely see what you mean re Skegness, though I'd take a pass on wearing it in some places (I've had coins thrown at me, and been physically surrounded and pushed around, in Liverpool for "looking weird" - style and self preservation often clash....).

I could definitely see that worked into an outfit along the lines of what I wore to the Chap Olympiad this year. Puts me in mind of what Sweeney Todd might have worn during the By the Sea sequence had that been set in the 20s, not the Victorian era.

I also rather like this:

_350PURPLEWATCH.R.S3.jpg

I think with the trews it also might be a bit much.... a bit, well, Rod Stewart, but the jacket and waistcoat would look superb with a pair of nice, 30s-cut trews in navy blue flannel, or maybe even a nice, subtle herringbone tweed in a coordinating shade of blue. I'd love to have something like this in the Blair tartan. Or even the more recently designed Presley tartan. :)

This I also like:

_350blazercricket.jpg

and this:

_c400REGATTA.jpg

Some great fabrics. The shoes, well, some of those I like the general design, but I agree that the overall shape of the shoe is rather too long, giving it somewhat of a disproportionate look. Maybe that might work for a guy with stubby feet that he wanted to make appear longer, but it's not as a rule a look I like. Never did care for winklepickers.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
the overall shape of the shoe is rather too long, giving it somewhat of a disproportionate look. Maybe that might work for a guy with stubby feet that he wanted to make appear longer
Yep,I wear size 12 and they were way too long of a look my tastes. It often happens that a shoe will look great on the showroom shelf (usually a size 9) but not so great in my size.

davestlouis

Practically Family
The gray with the piping on the lapels is beautiful, and that glen plaid is good looking too...although my boss would just drop dead if I came to work dressed like that.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
These are really beautiful...

This is my favourite but there is so much great stuff there...

_350creamchocolate5.jpg

But those prices. They are for OTR, am I correct?

If I was going to spend that much I'd rather go bespoke...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I hope you don't mind me making a comment on this thread, but i think the clothes are really lovely, particularly the pink, although i would agree that perhaps worn with a plainer shirt and for the right occasion to avoid looking too costumey. Re. the tartan, well in my humble opinion the word 'dicey' instantly sprang to mind looking at the whole ensemble, Rupert the bear was the only male who has every carried off tartan trousers! But the jacket and waistcoat i like as seperate items. I for one would like to see more men embracing their inner dandy (wildly attractive, bring back Beau Brummell) and would applaud any of these outfits if worn with the confidence and panache that they would require to carry them off successfully.

Edward

Bartender
AntonAAK said:
This is my favourite but there is so much great stuff there...

_350creamchocolate5.jpg

But those prices. They are for OTR, am I correct?

If I was going to spend that much I'd rather go bespoke...

It is a lot for OTR, though I suppose a lot depends on the quality. If it was Saville Row quality at that price, then assuming I could get a good fit in a standard size I'd consider it to be good value, relatively speaking.

most of those jackets I'd want to have repressed to lower the neck gore a bit, a 3 rolled on 2, which is a look I like a lot anyhow.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I guess so. I'm sure the quality is high but it is not custom made.

But I've just never got the point of 'designer' clothing (although some of these garments almost made me change my mind). If my clothing budget were unlimited I wouldn't want a designer. I'd want a tailor. We would do the designing between us...

Edward

Bartender
AntonAAK said:
I guess so. I'm sure the quality is high but it is not custom made.

But I've just never got the point of 'designer' clothing (although some of these garments almost made me change my mind). If my clothing budget were unlimited I wouldn't want a designer. I'd want a tailor. We would do the designing between us...

Oh, yes, I know where you're coming from. I'm not a fan either of 'designer' clothing that entails paying an inflated price for a very ordinary item on geounds of perceived brand value alone. I have seen the most unbelievably ugly, shapeless and outsized white T shirts sell for forty quid and more, simply because of some ghastly 'designer logo' that transforms the wearer into a walking billboard....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn