Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

I recently posted an old Mossant hat sold by Ghavagnac of Mauriat, France (can be found on the previous page). What are the odds of finding another one? Whatever they are: I found one.
Mossant in black sold by Ghavagnac. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent.

mossant-chavag_01-jpg.323983
mossant-chavag_02-jpg.323984
mossant-chavag_03-jpg.323985
mossant-chavag_05-jpg.323986
mossant-chavag_06-jpg.323987
mossant-chavag_10-jpg.323989
mossant-chavag_11-jpg.323990
mossant-chavag_12-jpg.323991
mossant-chavag_13-jpg.323992

mossant-chavag_09-jpg.323993

While both are unlined and at first glance appear very similar, there are some substantial differences. This one is made of furfelt, while the other is a woolfelt hat. This one has a raw edge brim and the other one had an overwelt brim. Both seem to date from the same time-period though, this one likely being the later one.
Interesting feature on this one is that it has a corrugated cardboard strip on both front and back of the hat, which I have not seen before on a hat.

Fléchet 7X foulard fedora in black. Size 56, with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. This is an early Fléchet. The crown patch is embroidered and still has the "B. Fléchet" name. The sweatband has a twenties/thirties art deco styling to it, which is what sold it to me (didn't know the size when I bought it). Couldn't find anything on the retailer it came from.

flechet-foulard_01-jpg.326015
flechet-foulard_02-jpg.326016
flechet-foulard_03-jpg.326017
flechet-foulard_04-jpg.326018
flechet-foulard_06-jpg.326019
flechet-foulard_09-jpg.326020
flechet-foulard_10-jpg.326021
flechet-foulard_11-jpg.326022
flechet-foulard_12-jpg.326023
flechet-foulard_13-jpg.326024

PanosChris

Practically Family
Fléchet 7X foulard fedora in black. Size 56, with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. This is an early Fléchet. The crown patch is embroidered and still has the "B. Fléchet" name. The sweatband has a twenties/thirties art deco styling to it, which is what sold it to me (didn't know the size when I bought it). Couldn't find anything on the retailer it came from.

Another excellent get Stefan! Keep the old French beauties coming

Delion

New in Town
Does anyone know where I could buy a Delion brand hat l, if anyone knows a seller. (Delion was a company that made hats in the 1920-1960 in Paris)

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many

That art déco sweat is extraordinaire!

Does anyone know where I could buy a Delion brand hat l, if anyone knows a seller. (Delion was a company that made hats in the 1920-1960 in Paris)
Welcome to the lounge. Any particular type of hat you're looking for? Size is also a consideration. There are two on sale on French Ebay at the moment and I'm sure others could be found on more local French sites. Delion was known for their more formal hats: top hats, bowlers and homburgs. I've never seen a fedora made by them.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I wrote a small sign that I stuck in the bookcase in front of my desk, it says: "do not buy hats other than your size".
Everest castor 6 (2).jpg

This is also the purpose that for some years I have been making when I meet hats that I can buy, but the desire to buy is stronger than me when I find hats like this
Everest castor 7 (2).jpg
Thibet Feutre Castor in black, size 56 cm, probably made in the Thirties by that great producer, on behalf of third parties, who was J&B (Jean Bourrel)
Everest castor etichetta carta.jpg
The hat presented has a particularity for a European hat of that time: it clearly bears the origin of the felt which is referred to as a beaver
Everest castor interno totale.jpg
Difficult to find before the Second World War.
Everest castor Marchio Mar.jpg
Everest castor Cappelleria Mar.jpg
The brand and name of the shop were embossed into the leather of the sweatband and colored in gold, never seen on a Thibet
Everest castor 5 (2).jpg

These are the measures of Thibet. the brim are at 4.8 cm. the open crown is at 13.5 cm. and the ribbon, again with its basting stitches, is 4 cm.
Everest castor 2 (2).jpg
The felt is light and a little bit rough at the touch
The hat arrived well at the threshold of one hundred years without any particular signs, except for some signs of use inside. I know and I'm happy to say: I'll make some fellow loungers happy

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is the brother, of the same size, with which the Thibet arrived from France. To tell you that for both of them I would like them to be my size is superfluous :)
Flechet Velluto 3.jpg

Flechet Premiere Marque in velour size 56, the color is black
Flechet Velluto 1.jpg

The manufacturer's brand is the old one, over the years it will change always keeping the red color
Flechet Velluto interno totale.jpg
Here it is in the version before the Second World War and certainly the hat was made after 1931 because the lining specifies a manufacturer's award won in that year.
Flechet Velluto Cappelleria Mar.jpg
Flechet Velluto marchio Mar.jpg
Brand and hat shop were embossed in gold on the sweatband as its brother Thibet
Another curiosity are the labels under the sweatband, both are old style and the price was FF185
Flechet Velluto etichetta carta.jpg
Flechet Velluto prezzo.jpg
The velvet is fantastic and well preserved, the moths have limited themselves to a few bites under the brims.
Flechet Velluto 4.jpg

The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are at 5. cm and the open crown is at 13.5 cm. the ribbon is 4 cm.
Flechet Velluto 6.jpg

I tell myself every time to let go of the hats out of my size, then when they arrive I get excited to see finds from a world that has almost completely disappeared

PanosChris

Practically Family
This is the brother, of the same size, with which the Thibet arrived from France. To tell you that for both of them I would like them to be my size is superfluous :)
View attachment 328859
View attachment 328860
The manufacturer's brand is the old one, over the years it will change always keeping the red color
View attachment 328861 Here it is in the version before the Second World War and certainly the hat was made after 1931 because the lining specifies a manufacturer's award won in that year.
View attachment 328862
View attachment 328863
Another curiosity are the labels under the sweatband, both are old style and the price was FF185
View attachment 328864
View attachment 328865
The velvet is fantastic and well preserved, the moths have limited themselves to a few bites under the brims.
View attachment 328866
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are at 5. cm and the open crown is at 13.5 cm. the ribbon is 4 cm.
View attachment 328867
I tell myself every time to let go of the hats out of my size, then when they arrive I get excited to see finds from a world that has almost completely disappeared
I wrote a small sign that I stuck in the bookcase in front of my desk, it says: "do not buy hats other than your size".
View attachment 328851
This is also the purpose that for some years I have been making when I meet hats that I can buy, but the desire to buy is stronger than me when I find hats like this
View attachment 328852 Thibet Feutre Castor in black, size 56 cm, probably made in the Thirties by that great producer, on behalf of third parties, who was J&B (Jean Bourrel)
View attachment 328853
The hat presented has a particularity for a European hat of that time: it clearly bears the origin of the felt which is referred to as a beaver
View attachment 328854
View attachment 328855
View attachment 328856
The brand and name of the shop were embossed into the leather of the sweatband and colored in gold, never seen on a Thibet
View attachment 328857
These are the measures of Thibet. the brim are at 4.8 cm. the open crown is at 13.5 cm. and the ribbon, again with its basting stitches, is 4 cm.
View attachment 328858 The felt is light and a little bit rough at the touch
The hat arrived well at the threshold of one hundred years without any particular signs, except for some signs of use inside. I know and I'm happy to say: I'll make some fellow loungers happy

That's quite the comeback Daniele ! As for the hats, I have no words ! (only hope ;) )

View attachment 328859
View attachment 328860
View attachment 328861 Here it is in the version before the Second World War and certainly the hat was made after 1931 because the lining specifies a manufacturer's award won in that year.
View attachment 328862
View attachment 328863
View attachment 328864
View attachment 328865
View attachment 328866
View attachment 328867
Daniele, Great finds! I really appreciate seeing these pre 40s French Soft Felts. Especially Velours.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
That's quite the comeback Daniele ! As for the hats, I have no words ! (only hope ;) )
This is, Panos, the perseverance to look at sales announcements even when the salespeople are bizarre and very difficult and believe in their own eyes and knowledge.
Daniele, Great finds! I really appreciate seeing these pre 40s French Soft Felts. Especially Velours.
Grazie Steve. The Flechet velour is really well made, one of the best french hat production I have seen.

View attachment 328851
View attachment 328852 Thibet Feutre Castor in black, size 56 cm, probably made in the Thirties by that great producer, on behalf of third parties, who was J&B (Jean Bourrel)
View attachment 328853
View attachment 328854
View attachment 328855
View attachment 328856
View attachment 328857
View attachment 328858 The felt is light and a little bit rough at the touch
Wonderful find, Daniele! Love the look of the liner on that one.

View attachment 328859
View attachment 328860
View attachment 328862
View attachment 328863
View attachment 328864
View attachment 328865
View attachment 328866
View attachment 328867
Fantastic! The velour looks fabulous. Strange that the label mentions "okapi" and "eclair" for a black hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112